The Complete Noob's Guide to Mastering

Write guides and how-tos about LMMS for other members.
This advice is outdated, disregard
Important notes: Get reaxcomp and other ReaPlugs here http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
I wouldn't turn down the volume of any sidechain controllers.
Also, this style of mastering is derived from tutorials I found on mastering EDM. Different methods apply for other genres maybe.
Can you sort out your frequencies ? Human hearing is from about 20Hz to 20kHz if you're really lucky. It's all below 30kHz so I guess you mean cut the bass below 30Hz. Not sure about the 4000kHz (not even bats can hear that). Did you mean 4kHz (aka 4000Hz) ? That's a bit high for what most people think of as midrange but for your music it may work.

BTW if you use too much limiter what it does is destroy all the dynamic range that you carefully created in your mix. So you need to be careful with it unless all you want is a super-loud headbanger. It's main purpose is to make sure you don't run into distortion.

Steve
slipstick wrote:Can you sort out your frequencies ? Human hearing is from about 20Hz to 20kHz if you're really lucky. It's all below 30kHz so I guess you mean cut the bass below 30Hz. Not sure about the 4000kHz (not even bats can hear that). Did you mean 4kHz (aka 4000Hz) ? That's a bit high for what most people think of as midrange but for your music it may work.

Steve
Right you are. I mucked up my frequencies... You want to low cut 30[*]hz and below, and some might boost 4khz
Thanks for keeping me honest.
Thank you for that tips, I think they will improve my mastering :)
Good guide overall. EDM producers using mostly synths will likely find mastering easier. Metal bands for example can face additonal challenges during the mastering stage, as they (or their mastering engineer) work with recordings of real physical instruments.
My master is in the red now, but it doesn't clip somehow?
ACYDE Music wrote:My master is in the red now, but it doesn't clip somehow?
Ah, I forgot to mention that. Clipping is inevitable. (in the instance of EDM and such). However not all clipping is bad. If you can't hear it. than you're fine. Keep in mind what I said about headroom though. :geek:
Peace
Would you use the Declipper effect? Why do you say keep the master at 100? And also I use the stereoenhancer effect for widening leads.
Jogden139 wrote:Would you use the Declipper effect? Why do you say keep the master at 100? And also I use the stereoenhancer effect for widening leads.
Where you mentioned headroom you suggest leaving the master at 100%, is it wrong to turn it down a little to prevent redlining/clipping?