Little Dubstep Tricks

Write guides and how-tos about LMMS for other members.
Hey, guys!

I didn't see a topic for Dubstep tricks, so I thought I'd create one. Anyone who has a nifty thing they use in their Dubstep creations can post it here :D

I'll start us off.
I was recently making a piece, and I was experimenting with growls and found a very unique sound that I call 'juggling portamento'. I created this using a ZynAddSubFX growl and a method Unfa used in his piece Spoken.

Just to clear this up, it's essential that you have a ZASFX growl because of the need for portamento (you can try detuning, tell me if you've done it so I can add it to this).
If you're at a loss for a ZASFX growl I've uploaded some decent ones onto the LMMS platform, you can go look at those.

If you're using my growls, don't make them too low, it'll sound choppy. Keep boosting it up an octave until the growling gets fast enough (and turn down the reverb, I made that WAY too big).

Okay, now we can get to the fun part!
Turn the portamento knob up to something above 64, and make something similar to this screenshot. Don't get messed up, this is 3/4 instead of 4/4 (you can make it 4/4, I just decided to have mine at 3/4), and be sure to keep a distance of around an octave from the low piece (the blue) to the high (the red).

Well-ah! You'll get a growl note that literally juggles the portamento! You can hear it in this piece I've made 22 seconds into it.
https://soundcloud.com/etornaz/demons-and-wolves-wip

If I wasn't clear on anything, please let me know. This is my first tutorial. :/
Etorna_Z wrote:Hey, guys!
I didn't see a topic for Dubstep tricks, so I thought I'd create one.
Dont know why this apparently 'fell through the forum, but here a friendly notch up.
Not at least since growls is often asked for.

Indecently, i would recommend you to make a short recording of the end-result, so peeps can hear what you achieved
I thought this was dead, thanks for bumping!

I will make a recording soon, thanks for giving me that suggestion. :)