how to write a decent bass line ?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
when i write a bass line i am generally thinking of the root or fifth. and landing on that as the chords change. and then connecting that with some kind of movement inbetween. but to me it sounds too busy. almost like a walking bassline.

but it almost doesn't feel right some how like maybe less is more

any suggestions ?
Go with a bass melody, that you think suits your tune. If less notes and a less complicated bass melody, sounds better for your track, then go with that.

In some of my tracks, I would sometimes make a fancy bass melody, then a few weeks later, I would listen to it again and dislike it. And then, I would end up making, a more fun sounding simpler bass melody, that more suits my track.

What type of music are you making the bass for?
brandystarbrite wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:31 pm
Go with a bass melody, that you think suits your tune. If less notes and a less complicated bass melody, sounds better for your track, then go with that.

In some of my tracks, I would sometimes make a fancy bass melody, then a few weeks later, I would listen to it again and dislike it. And then, I would end up making, a more fun sounding simpler bass melody, that more suits my track.

kind of like a rock funk thing. if i knew how to post songs on here i would show you.
lmmsguy29 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:54 am
brandystarbrite wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:31 pm

kind of like a rock funk thing. if i knew how to post songs on here i would show you.
Put a short demo of the track on soundcloud. So I could hear this bassline etc.

To post pics, you can use imgur if you want.
lmmsguy29 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:54 am
like a rock funk thing. if i knew how to post songs on here i would show you.
The bass in rock is most often root-note bound, but funk is a completely different story!
Where rock is percussion and guitar driven, funk is very much bass driven.
In funk you have jazz inspired bass, often solos where the bass runs a bass-melody that is syncopated and often have fast shift of octave-jumps, and slides
In other words : Jazz inspired
As always the best is to listen to music that has the quality you are looking for, and then try to recreate.