Weak Sounds?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hi guys,

Lately I was messing around with FL Studios VST plugin Sawer, and was really impressed by the sounds I could make on it. It seemed pretty geared toward Flux Pavilion sounding heavy sort of stabs and basses. I started looking around to see if I could find some sf2s for LMMS, but was really disappointed by the soundfonts I found. Is it just that I havent been looking in the right place or do all soundfonts simply make weak, blippy sort of beeps and sometimes the occasional instrument from some MIDI keyboard? I really couldnt find anything that sounded close the the rough, throaty roars from FL studio and Sawer. If someone could point me toward a plugin or sounfont collection that doesnt consist of basic Roland and sine based synths, it would be really helpful.
Soundfonts? I've never used soundfonts.

What you have to do is, go get yourself some nice VST plugins. Plenty of good ones that work on LMMS. Synth1 is recommended often, that's a good place to start with some almost-analog sound.
VSTs? I didnt think you could run them on LMMS...could you explain how perhaps?
childofthekrn wrote:VSTs? I didnt think you could run them on LMMS...could you explain how perhaps?
http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index. ... _with_VSTs
If someone could point me toward a plugin or sounfont collection that doesnt consist of basic Roland and sine based synths, it would be really helpful.
Try DSK Music Vst's. You can check DSK VSTs That work in Lmms 0.4.13 Enjoy! By Brandy Starbrite right here in the Generals section.

You can also check the LMMS Vst Wiki, for other Brand Name Vst's, including free and commercial Vst's and Vsti's, that work well in Lmms.

The one I created in the Generals section is for DSK Music's Vst's only.

Note: DSK Music's Vst's, are free for private and commercial use, according to the Dsk Homepage.

Hope that helps you childofthekrn.

Enjoy! :mrgreen:
Odds are you could use Sawer with LMMS through the VeSTige instrument.

But keep in mind there's a rather impressive beast of a softsynth you get for free with LMMS called ZynAddSubFX. Most people don't know how to dig into it (even I get perplexed), so they don't realize what they have right there in front of them. I find it easiest to make ambient type sounds with it, but there's much much more to it than that.

As for some other free VSTi you can download, Synth1 is pretty good and does some neat things without having to dig in as far. Oatmeal (yes there's a VSTi soft-synth by that name) is another nice one too.

Experimenting with ZynAddSubFX, Synth1, and Oatmeal will keep you busy for a long while and you might not need to get a commercial VSTi (outside of certain niches) once you figure out what those can do.
Problem with ZynAddSub is that right now you can't get over 44.1k sample rates out of it.