Music basics

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
144 posts
Here is a fast one i made. I have written some execises for you in 'project notes' (other may give it a shot if they like :p)
And Yes! you are making progress! Good.

Attachments

Thank you, I do need a bit of support.
I might have found the problem.

The main lead goes up and down, but the sublead does not follow right. I am listening at a much lower speed, which makes it much easier to pick out the bad sounding keys. And because they are in key, I was wtf ?

But some part of the sublead notes go down when the main lead goes up.
And that seems to be the part were I get the wrong shivers down my spine.

Now I will have a look at your demo first.
First gamble everything start in C so the key must be C ?
Scale Dorian.

If I get this right I might go a little insane. :)

Do you see the light ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzNyVPbx3gI
Dorian is a ..crazy-scale :p -something for skilled and propl. also somewhat nerdy avangardists -noo, its much simpler
Remember
In most cases we only have to figure out if its major or minor
Rule of thumb is : If its sound happy, its major, if its sad or scarrish, its minor.. But remember: 'Happy' is not the same as fast, and you also like to 'sing along' to 'sad' eg minor songs
Try the scale tool. Find the key, and then fit the scale
You actually also have two instrument that are tuned wrong (green-key-selector) in your own version, i only found those later -sorry.

But you are correct- the lead and sublead does interact, but NOT out of scale! They just uses a different base-note, that what makes a song interesting : transistions over keys
I believe in your last sentence you meant harmonics? Harmonies don't have to be in a different scale.
musikbear wrote:Dorian is a ..crazy-scale :p -something for skilled and propl. also somewhat nerdy avangardists -noo, its much simpler
Remember
In most cases we only have to figure out if its major or minor
Rule of thumb is : If its sound happy, its major, if its sad or scarrish, its minor.. But remember: 'Happy' is not the same as fast, and you also like to 'sing along' to 'sad' eg minor songs
Try the scale tool. Find the key, and then fit the scale
You actually also have two instrument that are tuned wrong (green-key-selector) in your own version, i only found those later -sorry.

But you are correct- the lead and sublead does interact, but NOT out of scale! They just uses a different base-note, that what makes a song interesting : transistions over keys
Well I tried minor, but either you made a few minor mistakes :P , or its not minor.
The only scale I could find that fitted all notes was dorian.

If I have to choose between major or minor I'll go for minor. :)
I found the two green markers that are wrong. :D

Thank you !
I am now sure I found the problem. ( besides the problems you guys helped me fix)

Just by listening at it at a lower speed, and trusting my ears.
Funny thing for me is, I wonder if my musical hearing has improved. :D

When ever I hear a note that makes me twitch, I pause LMMS.
And check the lead against the sublead.

I found several spots, were the lead goes up, but the sub leads goes down ! ( and vice versa )
Or goes up too late or too early.

Although I am not sure this is always wrong, it is what is causing that awful whining sound, that has been haunting me, as soon as I had added the subleads.
I think we have a winner, although the track probably could do with more fine tuning.

To correct the first two notes of the sublead took me hours.
Then I said fuck this, Its not important if I can copy youtube vids, its important how it sounds.
Feedback on further improvement is welcome, but I think I'm gonna take a break from popcorn. ( not from LMMS )

Its been a fight, but I am very happy about the help I have gotten, and the fact I refused to surrender.
Could not have done it without you guys.
Specially like to thank musicbear, with his you tube vids and exercises.

Very happy about the feature were you can make tracks bigger ( shift key),so its far more easy to see if two track are in sync.

Latest version, I do not twitch any more when listening to it.
And thats the first time, when listening to my own cover. At first I went looking for solutions in all the wrong places. :P

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/popcorn2
Left you a message on SC -You are closer :)
Thank you, I have just read the message.
I was already planning on looking at your version again.

It still amazes me how you make a song sound better then mine.

And that first track of your song, which makes it sound nice is for now confusing me.

Youre feedback really helps.

And the good news for me is, I am not tone deaf.
I have to trust my ears more, because if you ask me how I think that breakdownpart sounds, I do not really like it.
And there is more of which I am not totally happy.
144 posts