Music basics

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
144 posts
There is something I am gonna try. Use my pc keyboard. That in my theory should get me the right ( or at least close) note length.
What note it should be I can read from the sheet music.

https://lmms.io/wiki/images/thumb/0/0e/ ... oKeys1.png
Just tried again ( biscaya) , and I decided t give up for now. That piece of sheet music is only making me frustrated. Its clearly to hard for me.
I cant afford it at the moment, but I need music lessons, to make sense of that piece of sheet music.

Another thing is, I want / need a simple midi keyboard, to connect to my pc.
I tried using the mouse and the pc keyboard, but those keys lag too much, and I don't want to go into the setting.

This piece of sheet music is taking all the fun of making music, out of me.

I did found this though.
AKAI LPK25 MIDI keyboard, and a M-Audio Axiom Air Mini 32.

Frist one only 39 euros, second one 80 euros (32 keys)
I might not give up just yet. I found somebody who is gonna print that piece of sheet music for me.
Then I will add abcd etc to it, and put in some time stamps, about were in lmms things are happening.
Heres different aproach
Take this http://download.efmidi.com/midi-12464-d ... aya_3.html
Listen to it
Compare it to the sheet music
Learn from it
That is not 'cheating' at all :p
The passages that has given you problems, could then be identified, and you can understand what the problems are
Idea?
Thank you, I have already looked at the midi file, which might be considered cheating. ;)
But its a good idea.
When I read the piece of sheet music, as I understand it, there is a part were 5 times a C is played.
That cant be right, and the midi file I have studied, also does not have the c that many times on a row.

And the midi file might not be 100% accurate, but my ears agree to the midi file more, then what I create in lmms from the piece of sheet music.

That's also why I want a midi controller keyboard. One part of my struggle is all about, me don't having a clue how long a note should be in lmms.
And reading it, lets say a 1/4 note is not something I can use directly in lmms, because that don't match.
But when I just tap along with the song on that keyboard, maybe just using two keys, I hope it will help me finding the right note length in lmms. I cant play nor read sheet music very well yet, but my rhythm sense is good.

One thing that does keep me going, I want to learn to read sheet music, and although this piece is not a good idea to start with, quitting won't solve anything.
Because most of my problem are not related to understanding the piece of sheet music, but how to get it right into lmms.

Still you're idea is good, but that's also why I have the piece printed.
Switching between the midi file and the piece of sheet music on my monitor, right now is one of the reasons why I get lost.
Then the arc's used also go from one page to another, which is causing me issues too. With the printed version I should have a much better overview.

And one of my internet friends might be willing to help me. She plays keyboard and can read sheet music.
When she listened to the first part of the cover I have in lmms, she instantly started about the note length not being right.
She was very subtitle in telling me this, but I will tell her, that at least in my case, there is no need for being sensitive.

One of my biggest frustrations still is, I can hear I am not doing it right, but fixing it, is giving me an headache.
I did contact a music school btw, and explained my problem. They did not respond though. (yet? )

I think I know what the problem is. All music lessons I have found, are about playing an instrument.
But when I drop the word midi or computer.

I did find another music school though, that gives private lessons.
When I have a job, I will have a talk with them, and connect two speaker to my pc.
They don't have to know anything about midi, the midi part is not causing the issues, and if they are interesting I can tell them all about midi.
And why many computer generated pieces of music sounds like it coming out of a computer. (perfect timing)
But if there is one thing I already learned from this forum,, its not the computer nor the software that's causing this.
The part that gives me so much trouble

Page 2 ,3 bar 15 to 18 Band
http://musicnoteslib.com/tabs/James__Hi ... 27937.html

Easy F F E D E F but then C C C C C C C C ?

Arc between first and second C then from the second to the third, Does this mean its played as one note ? all three notes ?
Then an arc form the 4th to the 5th and one from 6 to 7 and then finally the 8th C

I understand what the arc means, two notes played as one, but can some one point out how many C' s are played ?
It confuses me every time.
i am not able to read notes, but i can see that it is in a bass-cleft, and i believe it just mean that the bass is hold in c over that interval?
I supose its some kind of keyboard, playinf that bass?? so it would 'just' be the sustain in c over that interval..?
But thats from someone who do not read -or leadt can play from a note sheet -so :p
Well maybe Eino can help us(me) out.

I know what the arc means from a music theory book, but in this particular case I get lost, also on why they use so many notes.
This example explains it too, but also confuses the hell out of me, lol

As far as I understand it, it means two C are written, but its played as one longer C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slur_%28music%29
The slur is not to be confused with two other similar musical symbols. The tie is a curved line that links two notes of the same pitch to show that their durations are to be added together. The phrase mark is a curved line that extends over a passage which is visually indistinguishable from the slur, and indicates that the passage is to be interpreted as a single phrase.

They are the same but should not be confused, which sadist created this ?

And I hope some one can confirm is not a bass clef, Thats the c turned upside down.
Your reading music from a converted midi file which makes it harder to read. When it starts out with a dotted note you have a compound meter. So the first note is only held for 1 1/2 beats then it's tied to the next notes are held for duration that they are tied together. So its C for 1 1/2 beats then C for the duration of time.
That's how I'am hearing it, following the sheet music your using.
I hope, I'am not confusing you.
144 posts