Music basics

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
144 posts
LMMS is awesome, its also very easy to start with, but then you want more, and things do become complicated.

I too have already probably more vst then I will ever use.

Synth1 is great also, and works great in lmms.

I am having fun, but for me there is so much to learn.
Also on how to work with synths. At first I was like, why are there so many knobs, but by looking at a lot of you tube synth videos, I am starting to understand what all those knobs do.

Funny that you mention the wasp. There is a vst of that too, but sadly it did not work for me on Linux.
But when I started with lmms, and I was looking for some sound, I just went looking for yet another synth.
Now I am starting to understand how synths work, and understand the power of the triple oscillator.
It can do a pretty good moog.

Lmms is for me to some extent, a dream come true.
I once had an AtariST and was after a demonstration with a Yamaha Dx 7, instantly hooked, on midi and producing music.
Because of other interests, that cost a lot of money too, I never bought a synth.

I only regret I did not take music lessons, when I was allot younger.
It could have saved me a lot of time, at the moment.
But I also remember how I felt about sheet music. I got the basics at school but was totally not interested.
Still it did help me, when I started to make music in lmms.

For years I stated, every moron can make dance music. But when I showed my first ever produced song with lmms to the public. I noticed most people who know me, were very surprised.
That at least this moron (me) can produce dance music.

I do have to admit that even simple dance music, is not always as simple as it sounds, but compared to biscaya...
And don't get me wrong, I love some disco tunes.
It's interesting that we all start from different places. I played with a few early synths back in the 70s. I even built myself a couple. So I have no real problem with all the knobs. But drums/beats and looping are foreign to me and far harder than I thought. And one day I'm sure I'll work out what automation is for....maybe.

I started getting into this stuff because I now have arthritis in my hands and can no longer play my guitar/bass/mandolin/sitar etc. properly. And I can't imagine a life without some way of making music so this is it...and it's both more interesting and a lot harder than I realised ;).

Have fun - Steve
To give a simple example of what automation can do, is can fade in and fade out a sound. Or make it pan from left to right.
I would like to come back to a statement made by music bear, about me (not) liking classical music.

He was far more right then I realized, when he made that statement.
About putting a baseline under classical music.

I suddenly realized this, when listening to a dutch band from the 60 - 70 ties. They did exactly that.
And I always liked their music.
Ekseption
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU0hRvKL0a4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke32zh4hBCI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXxiLs0GEG8

And I like their versions more then the originals. :P
popeye1234 wrote:Perhaps someone will tell us what that third part of the medley is. I do not even recognise the tune.
This has been bugging me for some time, but I just found it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_xUg4J9SzM

KLAUS WUNDERLICH - (CORN FLAKES)

Made with famous Moog synthesizer.

Makes me wonder if that popcorn number is made by him too. And if whats stated on you tube about this version is right.
diiz wrote:Usually, you'll want overlapping melodies to be in the same key and scale.

Key can be thought of as the fundamental, the lowest note of the scale.

The scale is a subset of notes from the set of 12 notes in an octave. A melody that uses only this subset of notes is said to be in that scale.

Example time!

The most basic scale, C major: C D E F G A B
A melody in C major could be like: C - C - C - E - D - D - D - F - E - E - D - D - C.

if you transpose that down by two seminotes, you get A# major: A# C D D# F G A
The same melody in A# major would be: A# - A# - A# - D - C - C - C - D# - D - D - C - C- A#.

A C minor scale is another very basic scale: C D D# F G G# A#
The same melody in C minor would be: C - C - C - D# - D - D - D - F - D# - D# - D - D - C.

Now you can see, that the relative pitch differences between the two major scales are the same, as they are both major scales, the melody is simply transponated two steps down. But on the minor scale, they are different, because it's a different scale.

Usually, if you have two melodies going at the same time, you'll want them in the same key and scale, because otherwise you'll get disharmony. Sometimes, you may actually want disharmony, but that's very complicated and hard to know when to use, so you should concentrate on the basics first.
I am not sure if I am finally ready to attack popcorn again, but I like to thank you again for this reply.
Although its been a while I am starting to finally understand this 100%.

It has to do with my latest creations, which sound better then anything I created before.
When reading this topic, I suddenly realized, that by coincidence, I am finally applying what you told me.

Instead of creating two tracks, and then wondering why it does not sound nice, when played together, I am now copying a track, and then make minor changes to it, but making sure that if one track goes up, the other follows.

Now I only have to figure out the last part, about it not always being wrong. :P
I will prob need my ears for that, and that worries me a bit, but we will see.

Don't get me wrong, I did understand your reply before, but only now start to use it.
I also now understand why just comparing the notes of the keydemo made by music bear, and my version, did not solve anything. The mistakes are not so much in using the wrong key, but more in relative pitch.

To end this reply, I am gonna thank all who helped me, in and outside this topic, about understanding music.
And I still have a lot to learn.
Has anyone here posted this before? I find it quite handy for learning music theory.

http://tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
Gps wrote:
popeye1234 wrote:Perhaps someone will tell us what that third part of the medley is. I do not even recognise the tune.
This has been bugging me for some time, but I just found it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_xUg4J9SzM

KLAUS WUNDERLICH - (CORN FLAKES)

Made with famous Moog synthesizer.

Makes me wonder if that popcorn number is made by him too. And if whats stated on you tube about this version is right.
Gee, I just went back in time for awhile, listening to your link. lol
lol, indeed

Looking how old that is, I am even surprised I recognized the tune.
caLRo wrote:Has anyone here posted this before? I find it quite handy for learning music theory.

http://tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
I can't stand the word music theory anymore. ;)

Watching again some older vids posted by musicbear, the good news is, my musical hearing has improved.

First time, I watched his explanation on scales. I was totally confused why he said no, and definitely no.

Then later on I started to hear, why he said no, but when I just watched that vid again, it made me twitch.
(he moves notes around to find the principle scale )

Finally understanding that vid, I suddenly noticed something.
I was told, and that has helped me a lot, that if something is written in c, the first note played will be a C. ( mostly)
But now for the first time I notice, that the first key in that tut vid played, is not a C.

With everything i learn, it seems to get more complicated every time.

I was just messing again with A Forest - The Cure.

Why did not one preset of the triple oscillator sounded real good? (compared to the mp3)
I found out why though, to get a sound close to that guitar, I need to tweak a preset, mainly on attack, and decay, and prob hold. sigh.
I remember trying to cover stuff, were most presets made me happy.

The disadvantage of my hearing improving....

I did however bookmark that site. I found out that with understanding certain things, it helps me listen to different people (sites) explaining it.

But right now, I don't think I need more theory, I prob need more practice in lmms.
144 posts