Pop Music

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
What is Pop Music?
Music that is popular.

Or possibly music that you listen to while eating popcorn.
I was talking with someone today who said that dance music was "pop". I disagreed with him.
theguitarplayer wrote:I was talking with someone today who said that dance music was "pop". I disagreed with him.
It can be. Depends on the definition of "dance music" (possibly the most ambiguous musical "genre" ever).
theguitarplayer wrote:I was talking with someone today who said that dance music was "pop". I disagreed with him.
Hmmmm................This is an interesting topic. :ugeek:
Well back in my parents days, Michael Jackson was called the King of Pop for the 80's.
And some of his songs, or probably many, fell in the category of Dance/pop music.
At least that is what MJ and his fans called it back then.

This song was released before I was even born. Or even an eeky embryo for that matter. Lol! :lol:
It's called Situation from YAZ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D3udbawA1Q

Oh My Gosh!! I can't believe I dissed the embryo! Ha! Ha! Lol! :lol:

And alot of oldish people back then, called this early electro dance music and even some called it, early dance pop music.

So if we were to define what Popmusic is, based on MJ's style/standard of music.
Or Mr. Yaz's style of 80's dance pop/electronic music.
Then..................well,................you guys figure it out. :D

Some dance music/pop music, sometimes fall in a similar intertwined genre category, to a point it sounds ambiguous.
And you can't tell which is which.

It can be. Depends on the definition of "dance music" (possibly the most ambiguous musical "genre" ever).
Yep. You said it diiz.
It's the same thing I have been saying for years. And even in this topic. It is an ambiguous music genre ever. :D
You have it right there diiz dude.
Or possibly music that you listen to while eating popcorn.
Lol! :lol:
I have been saying that since I was a little baby growing up in the mid 80's.
Anytime I hear the word pop music, I feel like eating buttery popcorn. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Lol! :lol:
Anybody else feels that way?

Well there is alot that can be said on this popmusic/dancemusic topic.
What do you other LMMS guys and gals think? :mrgreen:
diiz wrote:
Yep, because if you go back in time, the dance music is quite different.
The Pop is just short for Popular music. That is why the apparent genre changes a lot. Right now electronic dance music could technically be called pop, simply because it has made its way to mainstream radio.

There are more literal terms for it, but those aren't specific and get over-argued.
I was looking for an example from way back, what was called dance music as far as I know.

Glen Miller - In The Mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPXwkWVEIIw
It depends on mood, the type of music I wish to hear during dinner. I love to play guitar and I am looking for good music store to buy guitar. Can somebody help me?
mariagoodwin wrote:It depends on mood, the type of music I wish to hear during dinner. I love to play guitar and I am looking for good music store to buy guitar. Can somebody help me?
Have you tried The guitar center?