The struggle of Gps learning music and sheetmusic

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
516 posts
Now I am depressed, I must be getting old.

Just listened to this, and have to admit its not bad,

Tchaikovsky - Symphony №5 ( don't think I ever heard it before)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2JBT0HC98I
Gps wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:39 pm
Not nearly as old as Tchaikovsky.

But if you want to get really depressed just think, there's a lot of really good music out there and you'll never have enough time to listen to all of it ;).

Steve
Gps wrote:
Tchaikovsky - Symphony №5
Better than Wagner(?) Tannhäuser Overture
Noo.. :p

slipstick wrote: lot of really good music out there and you'll never have enough time to listen to all of it ;).
True..
slipstick wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:29 pm
Gps wrote:
Not nearly as old as Tchaikovsky.

But if you want to get really depressed just think, there's a lot of really good music out there and you'll never have enough time to listen to all of it ;).

Steve
hahaha, so true.
musikbear wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:45 pm
Gps wrote:
Tchaikovsky - Symphony №5
Better than Wagner(?) Tannhäuser Overture
Noo.. :p
I have to admit, now I listen to it again it seems to grow on me.
Time for a question on chords.

I have been watching many vids on chord progression, and I think I am starting to understand it, after watching this guy with some tattoos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlgRrbVh4PI

To make sure, a few questions.

A chord is any 3 notes in a scale ? Or is a chord any multiple notes in a scale ? (even 2 ? )

I remember a vid from music bear, on how to do inversions, with chords with 3 notes.

The part wtf in that vid though, he just moves notes in a chord, to an extent, I did not know that was allowed.

10m46 he turns the chord into a diminished chord ? :o ( I know how to change a minor chord into a mayor chord)

Another problem I seem to have, while trying to create trance. As soon as I have any chord progression, I seem to kill the trance feel. Am I doing something wrong ?

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/trancearptest2
at 3m24 though, it suddenly seems to turn into trance when I kill all originality ? ( that's at-least how it feels to me :P )

HELP !

( on a side note, if I making house instead of trance, I can totally live with it. )

The drums make me smile, although I am not sure the drums and bass line go well together?
When the drums starts, I instantly want to shout pump up the jam. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EcjWd-O4jI )

Made this after watching a vid, of a person with lmms making trance.
He starts with the bassline, and then the melody notes play, when bassline notes are silent.
Gps wrote:

Just listened to this, and have to admit its not bad,

Tchaikovsky - Symphony №5 ( don't think I ever heard it before)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2JBT0HC98I
That first tune is lovely. :)
I haven't heard that one, in a long time.
The last time I remember hearing it, was when I was very small. :lol:
Now that I've listened to it again after so long, the magnificence of it has increased for me. :)
Gps wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 pm
A chord is any 3 notes in a scale ? Or is a chord any multiple notes in a scale ? (even 2 ? )
AFAIK, a chord = 3 notes minimum
If you talk to any guitarists, particularly those who play metal genres, they'll tell you all about power chords. Only 2 notes, the root and the fifth. And jazzers will regularly play chords with 5 or 6 different notes.

So I'm going for any number of notes from a scale, though it's true the basic chords, known in the jargon as triads, have 3.

As for inversions, so long as you have the right set of different notes you can play them in any order and you can play more than one of a note in octaves. So basic C major is C,E,G. But G,E,C,E',C' is still C major etc.

Only keyboard players think the root note of a chord has to be the lowest note. Anyone who plays guitar or other stringed instruments will be so used to inversions they hardly think about them. If it's got some As, Cs and Es in it in any order it's an Am chord. And just to really confuse things,sometimes the root note can be left out, There's a common ukulele version of a D7 chord that doesn't even have a D in it ;).

Steve
Thank you this should help me big time.

I was having allot of issues, when making chord progression.

The scale and chord, forced me to go more up or down then I wanted.

( I think that's one problem with my latest trance attempt, the steps not being subtle enough. )

I already used mayor and minor chord and inversions to get around this, but now I have even more possibilities.

If I use the word diminished chord, it will even look like I know what I am doing :P

Allot of pieces once again falling into place.

A trance chord tutorial were the guy used diminished chords.

And funny how you mention guitar players. I watch allot of those tutorials too.
This was my face, when I saw a guy pick a note in a chord, an octave lower ( or higher) just because it was more easier to do with his hand. :o

The only frustrating part, when I see a keyboard player, I have at least some idea about what notes he hits.
When I watch a guitar player I am totally lost on what notes he plays. Most guitar vids will tell you the chord progression, so they are still use full to me.
516 posts