The struggle of Gps learning music and sheetmusic

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
516 posts
My comment is a bit off topic ...

Have you ever seen the Against The Clock series on FACT TV?
https://www.youtube.com/user/FACTmagazine/videos

I propose you to watch the videos having "Against The Clock" in the title.
This is a challenge to relatively well-known artists: 10 minutes to create something.
Of course, each artist works differently from another (hardware, software).

I don't know what is the part of preparation of each artist, but it does not matter: the camera is there and they have 10 minutes to produce something. In other words, they don't have the time to ask themselves too many questions, they're under pressure, they have to do something.

Reading this thread regularly, I often thought "Gps is asking himself too many questions" and I remembered Against The Clock.

Well, that's pretty indelicate to say that (and sorry for that), but that's what I think and what I want to tell you.
I watched this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiN26vakKzE

I clicked the first challenge vid I found, and he seems to be from the same city as me. I think that's funny. ( Amsterdam )

You are however totally right, I think too much. ( I have this problem not just with music )

Never worry though about my feelings when giving feedback to me. ;)

I am however trying to make trance for months now, and I have seen the light, why it seems so hard for me.
It comes down to me not really being a trance fan. :o

I really like my latest upload although the track is not finished yet.

I think I can do a 10 min challenge with lmms, as long as nobody forces me to do a specific genre. :P
Gps wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:50 pm
Never give up, never surrender. :)

I am not 100% sure if I made trance or house, but I am finally happy with it.
Its not finished yet though.

Although I turned it off for now, there is already one glame highpass filter in it.
( that will be used in the build up, around were the drums now stop for a second )

I might also work a bit more on the chord progression. ( I have to think about that )

I am so happy right now. The melody I had before, was from the start not something that really made me happy.

This melody does :D

I am having trouble to sit still listening to it. Exactly what I am after. It must make me wanna move to the beat, and it does that for me.

Serious question though, is it house or trance?
I think because of the syncopation and the drums its house ?

Should I add a poll on that ? :P

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/trancearpexport3
Dude, Ya finally stumbled on it. :D
This sounds like trance. In just a 3 minute track, you made a super close trance track. :D
And you did the smart thing too. You made it super short and stuck to the good parts.
Doing that was a good idea and makes it easier, to make this type of music.

My suggestion, is to leave it as it is, for now and not to extend the track just yet.

With what you have so far: Fix it up.
And, if you want, I suggest adding in one or two, special effects, that you think will fit into this track.
Note: Those special effects, do not need to be too loud, otherwise it might drown out
or overtake the music. And the effects, do not have to be too fancy either.

And later on, you can extend the track and add in more melodies if you want.

PS: I noticed that the drum and clap pattern, kinda has a hous'ish style to it. Lol! :D
And I agree, it definitely sounds like danceable, head bouncing music. 8-)
There are also videos with artists who only use software (e.g. FL Studio), which is a little closer to the way most LMMS users work.

Amsterdam? We are neighbors then (except that I'm in Chile for a year ...)!

I understand that your own challenge is to understand the codes of a musical genre. In this regard, Trancearpexport3 is working well, the sequences are linked fluidly.
brandystarbrite wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:47 pm
Gps wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:50 pm
Never give up, never surrender. :)

I am not 100% sure if I made trance or house, but I am finally happy with it.
Its not finished yet though.

Although I turned it off for now, there is already one glame highpass filter in it.
( that will be used in the build up, around were the drums now stop for a second )

I might also work a bit more on the chord progression. ( I have to think about that )

I am so happy right now. The melody I had before, was from the start not something that really made me happy.

This melody does :D

I am having trouble to sit still listening to it. Exactly what I am after. It must make me wanna move to the beat, and it does that for me.

Serious question though, is it house or trance?
I think because of the syncopation and the drums its house ?

Should I add a poll on that ? :P

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/trancearpexport3
Dude, Ya finally stumbled on it. :D
This sounds like trance. In just a 3 minute track, you made a super close trance track. :D
And you did the smart thing too. You made it super short and stuck to the good parts.
Doing that was a good idea and makes it easier, to make this type of music.

My suggestion, is to leave it as it is, for now and not to extend the track just yet.

With what you have so far: Fix it up.
And, if you want, I suggest adding in one or two, special effects, that you think will fit into this track.
Note: Those special effects, do not need to be too loud, otherwise it might drown out
or overtake the music. And the effects, do not have to be too fancy either.

And later on, you can extend the track and add in more melodies if you want.

PS: I noticed that the drum and clap pattern, kinda has a hous'ish style to it. Lol! :D
And I agree, it definitely sounds like danceable, head bouncing music. 8-)
I now have a bit over 6 min, and I should not make it any longer. :)
Added two breakdowns, and changed the bassline to a standard trance bassline, as shown in the pic.
The good news is, I did not make it longer by just copy pasting.

Maybe I should release the track as a trance tutorial.

The funny thing is , as usual, if you understand it its simple.

What seems to make trance, trance ?

An syncopted arpeggio, with a bassline below it.
If you leave out that bassline part, it does not seem to become trance.
And although I cheated a bit, the bassline should play when the melody is quite.
If you stray away too far from the pic I show, its not trance. :o
( learned that the hard way)

I also have an effect I really like. Notice how the top notes in the pic go up, up and back down.
This gives an unexpected off beat effect. And some mixing issues lol.

I am looking at adding some effects, and maybe I need to make a better ending, it now just fades out.

Don't want to rush it, but probably will release final version in a day or two.

The drums are indeed more house then trance. :) ( or should we say disco ? ;) )
The bassline I have now blends in much better with those drums.

For me it feels like I wrote my first hit. :D
Now I only need a dj to plug it.
( I hope I wont have to go on tour, at my age ;) )

Imagine me scoring a hit and hiring / paying the lmms devs.
Never stop dreaming :)
D.Ipsum wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:32 pm
There are also videos with artists who only use software (e.g. FL Studio), which is a little closer to the way most LMMS users work.

Amsterdam? We are neighbors then (except that I'm in Chile for a year ...)!

I understand that your own challenge is to understand the codes of a musical genre. In this regard, Trancearpexport3 is working well, the sequences are linked fluidly.
All good Dj 's come from the Benelux, so we should not be surprised ;) ( me hides )

I do try to understand disco / house / trance / edm.

Its also because I am looking at what type of edm I want to make.
I think I found it. I want to make edm, that has roots in funk / funk disco / house.

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscel ... nd-trance/
Elements of funk, soul and disco music heavily influenced the style of house music, for instance like the prominent bass drum on every beat basically mimics disco’s percussion but may feature electronic drums and effects, a prominent synthesizer baseline and samples of funk or pop, as well as delay enhanced vocals. In its early years of origin, house music had slower tempos but with time it changed to up-tempo, although it is considered mid tempo by contemporary dance standards. Trance on the other hand has almost the same beat structure as house but does not have the live-sound feel of house, preferring synthetic sound influences and approach.
Gps wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:41 pm
Its also because I am looking at what type of edm I want to make.
I think I found it. I want to make edm, that has roots in funk / funk disco / house.
It's interesting,

search his own way,
search for it by following it,
and then just follow it without thinking about it,
because wherever we go,
life is short
and the horizon remains far away.

D.Ipsum the poet :lol:
I like it :)
Yeah.
That's a nice poem D.Ipsum.
https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/duality-1

Time for feedback, I am very happy with the result, and it feels like my first hit. ( personal taste, I know )

I came up with the name duality.
( is it house or is it trance ? :P )

I think i made something beautiful. Will the feedback wake me up, or will people agree?

I have serious trouble, to stop listening to it. :)

That synth 1 marimba omg :D
Alpha trans synth for the typical trance sound.
Also the triple oscillator, with white noise and an lfo.

The only part I am not 100% happy with, is the end.

What do you guys think ? As always just be honest, :) 135 bpm.
Would also like to know if this is ( mixing wise ) anywhere close to the best of LMMS.
Used eq, and on top of that easy Q.

Edit:

re-uploaded the track, the export had some cracking in it.
516 posts