The struggle of Gps learning music and sheetmusic

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
516 posts
Making progress, starting to understand at least this piece of sheet music.

I do wonder how that bassline would sound, played by somebody who does not know this song, nor has seen the midi file.

Some parts, at count one there is a note, then at count two followed by another short note but....
Were this first note starts at the start of the first count, that second note starts at the end of count two.

It does not yet make sense to me, why this is happening, and I do wonder if this is something sheet music does not cover, or am I missing something ?

I suspect it to be the last part, because is does matter a lot in the way to how it sounds, were you put that second short note. ( 25 % chance, of getting it right by gambling, in lmms ;) )

Today when listening to a disco mix, I noticed how they cover the fact, that disco music is quite repetitive. Something to remember, when I make my own electronic dance music.
When I did the bass, I did not follow the sheet music to the tee. I was listening to the Accordion and played the bass part almost by ear, just looking at the sheet music as guide.
42 posts, Gps, you're on fire! :D I admire your dedication to learn music and sheetmusic.
Eino wrote:When I did the bass, I did not follow the sheet music to the tee. I was listening to the Accordion and played the bass part almost by ear, just looking at the sheet music as guide.
I would love to do that way, maybe I should just give it a try.
Gps wrote:Some parts, at count one there is a note, then at count two followed by another short note but....
Were this first note starts at the start of the first count, that second note starts at the end of count two.

It does not yet make sense to me, why this is happening, and I do wonder if this is something sheet music does not cover, or am I missing something ?
I'm wondering if you realise that a dot after a note makes it half as long again as normal. So a quarter note followed by a dot lasts as long as a quarter + an eighth note (you're probably already thinking of it as a 3/8 note ;)). That's why the note after starts part way through the second beat.

And do you understand tied notes ? Two notes the same pitch, i.e. two Cs, with a curved line connecting them are played as one note with the lengths added up. So in the start of that bass part you have a dotted quarter note tied to a 1/16th note.....you only play one note but it lasts 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16th long i.e. until almost the end of the second beat.

It's hard to read but easy enough to put in the piano roll. Set Q to 1/16 and put a note in that lasts for 7 squares ;).

Steve
Yes I do understand the tie, and the dots. ( finally :P )

But the 1/16 notes, starting at the end of a second beat does not make sense to me, when I look at the sheet music.
It does make sense when I listen to it, it suits the song.

Page 3 might be a good example, bar 9.
http://musicnoteslib.com/tabs/James__Hi ... 27938.html
There are 2 squares not used in lmms only the last possible one ( in the second beat) for that third 1/16 note. ( the one after the tied 1/4 + 1/16)

Which I now read as, add a quarter of the 1/4 note, to the 1/4 note.
So it cant be in the first square, of the second beat, but there are still 3 squares left, to pick for that 1/16 note.

To summarize, I see in lmms 3 possible options ( squares) were to put the third 1/16 note, which as far as I understand the sheet music are all right.
You lost me now. In the Bass, bar 9 has a dotted 1/4 note (6 squares) tied to a 1/16th (the 7th square) then jumps up to a G in the 8th square. Then there's a long rest (7 squares with no note) and the third 16th note is right at the end of the 4th beat in the bar (so in the 16th square). There are no choices, that's exactly what it says, no other possibilities.

But it's getting late and I'm getting to hate that tune so perhaps I'll just let you get on with it ;).

Steve
I was very tired too, but you’re explanation has helped me.
When working on this part, a few days ago, and counting the squares, I was confusing the dot, for a dot with half a circle around it. ( I now see my mistake)

Two beats have 8 squares, 1/4 and 1/8 + 1/16 leaves only one square open. :D

Thank you !
I like to add, I finally fully understand, the link between 1,2,3,4 on sheet music and that works out in lmms.

I will draw in my mind three extra lines between two bars, when reading sheet music.

The 2,3 and 4 count, The fourth count starting at three, and not at four. :P
I just have to tell you guys how happy I am.
Although I don't understand why, but I was somehow confusing at 1 with between 0-1.

Before when looking at sheet music, I could not imagine even remotely, how that would look in lmms, but now I do.

A blind spot for the fact, that turning notes on, in lmms happens in four beats, which is what the sheet music is about.

Today compared two parts of the sheet music, when I in my mind divide the bar into 1,2,3,4, there is not longer a mess of longer and shorter notes. :P
516 posts