The struggle of Gps learning music and sheetmusic

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
516 posts
I am using sheet music but, two different versions.

On track starts because of this at D and the other at F.

I am wondering should i correct this, so both start at D, or should I use my ears, and just listen if it works out or not ?

I do realize, I have to stay in key, but when I had a quick look, the track that starts at F seems to be in scale. ( D minor)
To answer my own question.

I am going for it, if it sounds right, I will leave it.

Why I asked this question, is because of my struggle with that popcorn cover. I made sure since then that every track I created in one song started at the same key.

I was not always happy about it, but I did no want to take any chance. Since then my musical ears have improved a lot, so I don't need to be that strict anymore.
Further more, when googling I found that a D minor chord, consists of the keys, D, E, F.

From this I deduct, that D and E and F sound right together, so starting at D or E or F , should not be a problem in D minor.
Feel free to laugh about my totally analytical approach, but its some part of me, I cant just change in one day.

Completely of topic, I have had some weird experiences, a few years ago. Without making this too long of a long story, it killed my disbelieve in paranormal stuff.
Since then I try to listen more, to my non analytical site too.

If people want to know what happened I am willing to open a topic about it, but what I learned most form that, there is more to me then just a rational site.
I'm not sure where you've been Googling but a D minor chord contains the notes D F and A. There's no E in there.

And if you try it you'll find that E and F played together always sound horrible. Semitones played together like that are seriously discordant noises.

Analysing things is good. I do it all the time. But as we used to say in the early days of computer programming "Garbage in, garbage out". In other words you need to get the start data for your analysis right or the answer won't come out right ;).

Steve
LOL thank you, and after googling again I found my mistake. ( I was to hasty making the above reply )
Can you guys please listen to this ?

I am struggling with this for days.

Accordion ( bandeneon ) and bass together sound right?
The xylophone part how ever, does not seem to be in the beat ?

I have been checking it to the sheet music, and I am pretty sure this is what it says.
I only need confirmation, if I am right, that xylophone part does not fit right.

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/biscayaexport

(The accordion sound is from one vst, but two presets playing together, I am quite happy about that)

The xylophone part is so soft in the original, that I cant hear what they are doing.

Next I will be fixing the main lead. Its now in sync with the mp3 but not with my version.
I first want the accompany right though, before I start moving notes in the main melody.

Edit:

I found the problem. I compared mine to a midi file(again)
My last two notes out of 4, are 1/32 off :O 1/32 too late.

It keeps surprising me, how little of a difference can mess things up.
I love the progress your making.
After many years of study, and practice you should be able to look at sheet music, and hear the music playing in your head.
Its frustrating too, but just found out how an out of scale note can be used.

I still wonder if I should have ever started with this piece. On the other hand it forces me to really understand things.

Last two days working on something new. Getting fed up with moving the same notes around over and over.

Because only now I fully get this 1,2,3,4 part, and realized I had issues, reading notes, confusing 1/4 and 1/8 because of the beams, and using different sources,
I have to fix a lot, again.
There are certainly many easier ways to start learning music, as several of us have mentioned previously. But I'm impressed by your persistence and there's no doubt you will have learned a great deal by the time you (and the rest of us ;)) have finally finished with that piece.

Music notation is a complete language containing loads of complex information. It always takes a while to learn a brand new language.

Steve
Exactly :)

Well one part of it was a disappointment, Because years ago, I had learned some basics, I said to my self how hard can it be ?

Well, to really fully grasp sheet music is damn hard. (If we're talking about stuff like biscaya)
The basics you can read and understand in a day of two by just reading.
But to really understand, what pieces like this are trying to tell you, damn.

The technician in me is still protesting, about the 3/4 at the start of a piece.
( Why do they write a fraction, if they don't mean a fraction ? But when they write a 1/4 note, then suddenly they do mean 0,25 :x )

But I do have an answer to maybe all the questions, the technician in me had.
Why they do the things the way they do ( sheet music), is about the speed of a song.
Have you thought of using a metronome, and practice with some simple scores to get the timing down.
Here is one, but use it as a standalone thing. I would not try it while recording anything in LMMS, or Audacity.
http://www.antcom.de/gtick/
516 posts