The struggle of Gps learning music and sheetmusic

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
516 posts
Gps wrote:The technician in me is still protesting, about the 3/4 at the start of a piece.
( Why do they write a fraction, if they don't mean a fraction ? But when they write a 1/4 note, then suddenly they do mean 0,25 :x )
Your technician needs to pay more attention. The 3 over 4 at the start of song doesn't even look like a fraction....there is no fraction bar separating the 3 and the 4.

And you say you can learn the basics in a day or two but how long has it taken you to work out what "the 1,2, 3, 4" mean ? To most of us that's about as basic as it gets ;).

Keep going, it will get to be easier and perhaps even fun, sooner or later.

Steve
One of my mistakes, was to trying to sync to a mp3 which is (almost never) an exact number of bpm in lmms.

So by ears I made the notes right in lmms, the notes I got from the sheet music, so it would play along with the mp3, until over 2 minutes into the mp3.

Not just for biscaya, its how I did things, but you can prob guess my next problem. Why wont the beat and bass editor sound right, together with my song?

Syncing to an mp3 which starts which starts with white noise, oops sorry I mean the sound of the sea. :p
slipstick wrote:
Gps wrote:The technician in me is still protesting, about the 3/4 at the start of a piece.
( Why do they write a fraction, if they don't mean a fraction ? But when they write a 1/4 note, then suddenly they do mean 0,25 :x )
Your technician needs to pay more attention. The 3 over 4 at the start of song doesn't even look like a fraction....there is no fraction bar separating the 3 and the 4.

And you say you can learn the basics in a day or two but how long has it taken you to work out what "the 1,2, 3, 4" mean ? To most of us that's about as basic as it gets ;).

Keep going, it will get to be easier and perhaps even fun, sooner or later.

Steve
I am very happy, It's starting to become more fun again.

At first I felt restricted, by the rules (not laws ;) )

And about the 1,2,3,4. It's something I can't explain. Looking back it makes me smile, I did not understand this part of lmms vs sheet music earlier.

I know for over 30 years, that most music is 4/4.
That also how long ago, I learned the basics about sheet music.
Counting along with 90% ? of all pop music, no problem.
Dancing a waltz ? Count 1,2,3.

Still I had some what of a blind spot, on how this works in lmms, in relation to sheet music.
But there is no difference.
I am prob also now able, to write sheet music, from an lmms song. Not something I want to spend time on though. :P

The sheet music has become real, instead of a lot of confusing dots, between 2 bars.
I think I have found a solution, for my biscaya problem.

From now on ignore the midi files, and just use the sheet music, to align the tracks.
Gps wrote:I think I have found a solution, for my biscaya problem.

From now on ignore the midi files, and just use the sheet music, to align the tracks.
Sheet music has not failed me yet, it's the way to go.
I almost can't believe what I am doing at the moment, but it proofs I can although very slowly, read sheet music.

In 4 beats 3 times three notes together, are being played.

1/8 +1/4 rest, then a 1/16 note, then a 1/4 rest, an 1/16 note, then two times a 1/16 rest, a 1/16 note and a 1/4 rest to fill up the 4 beats.

What I did in lmms, is making a template with only the rests, and an open space were the 1/16 note should be. :P

That piece I can copy paste, for as long as needed.

I cant yet go directly from the sheet music into lmms, but I am using a paper on which I write down the notes.

D, A, B, C, D
G, F, F, G, G
E, D, D, E, E

:P
I like to share with you guys, how far I am at the moment with that damn Biscaya.

Slowly but steady. A bit worried about those fast notes, it does not sound 100% right.
I think the bassline is one problem. I used a different piece of sheet music for that, and a midi file with a different bpm.
The start is fine, but later on in the song, it clearly does not sync right.

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/biscaya
I think I am gonna start over, for the most part or maybe even everything.
Trying to fix the mess I created is only getting me frustrated. :P

The problems are caused by:

Trying to sync to a nmp3, which does ( of course) not have the exact same bpm.

Mixing multiple midi tracks, and the according sheet music. This should in theory not be a problem, but those pieces of sheet music all have a different interpretation, of this piece.

The best example about this, the creators don’t agreeing on what is played by what instrument.

Mixing those is maybe not impossible, but for me way to complicated. Because of this I keep getting confused, on when a track starts, especially in relation to other tracks. If I stick to the sheet music this should not be a problem.
I'm not clear exactly what you're trying to achieve here but if it's to make something that sounds exactly like the original recording then it's perhaps worth knowing that at least one of the examples of sheet music you've shown us wasn't actual published sheet music but was almost certainly derived by a program from a midi file. If the midi file actually sounded like the real thing the sheet music will be o.k. but it may not be exactly like the original recording.

But provided you stick to ONE version of sheet music you should be able to get reasonably close.

Have fun - Steve
That's exactly why I want to start over, stick to one version as you suggest.

Then maybe when its done fine tune it.
516 posts