The struggle of Gps learning music and sheetmusic

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
516 posts
what is you key?
You do remember that Lord plays power-chords a lot?
He also adds sharps /flats in chords, from high registers, to make irrie chords
Actually, that could be some of what you called 'less cute' hammond-organ idk...
I struggle allot to find the right key.

I never seem to get all notes in the scale, About 98 % seem to be in the scale when I use, E minor.
Just to vent some frustration, if like to copy paste, don't cover Child in Time :P

Even the freaking drummer, does not play a constant rhythm.

I made it past 20 seconds though, for now I can live with that part, but it still needs some fine tuning.

Its funny, it even hard to find the right note lengths, and don't get me starting about the spacing of the notes. ;)

I also like hop hop and edm, but from a musical point of view, most hip hop and EDM, is so damn simple compared to deep purple child in time.

What I am learning from this though, you're melody can have a rhythm, just from having different note lengths :o
And if it sounds right, don't worry too much about timing. ( as in 1 2 3 4 )

You can totally kill this track, by using notes of the same length.

The idea I have for now, copy john lords first part, then when they start over, make something of my own.
I am worried though, that my skill level, wont be good enough.
Something about the Hammond organ John Lord used.

I have been searching for days for a video, I ones watched, were he explains what he did. ( to make the hammond sound less cute )
Something about connecting a hammond to a guitar amp.

That vid is gone, the copy right nazis did it again. :x

Funny that I am typing this with an operating stem that has an eula, that states , I can give a copy of my os to anyone I like.

I did found this, and the comments below the vid, also explain what he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIB4JATBoYo&t=319s
In early days (early Highway star, Into the fire etc.) he used a Marshall amp without any Leslie (There's a video where he explains that: "Jon Lord talks about his Hammond organ sound" Search for it. Later on, he used a Leslie and overdrove it to get that "Perfect Strangers"-Sound as far as I know.
Gps wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:18 pm
explain what he did.
So a guitar amp.. A good one exists, "Emissary" but it wont keep settings in lmms, so only 'default' can be used, how ever i need to retest. I believe i tested RC2, so maby..
Small step forward, the end of the first intro is near.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGmRYOYUrEE

Twice the the calf reverb plugin on the organ, also the rotary speaker plugin, and an EQ.

116 bpm.

Improved the hihats, but as we can hear, that needs more work still. ( mostly when John Lord goes wild )

What puts a smile to my face, is how much I have improved.
Although I am not sure yet, if I can do the entire song, I could not have gotten this far two years ago. :)
musikbear wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:56 am
Gps wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:18 pm
explain what he did.
So a guitar amp.. A good one exists, "Emissary" but it wont keep settings in lmms, so only 'default' can be used, how ever i need to retest. I believe i tested RC2, so maby..
Sounds interesting, but for now I am quite happy how my organ sounds.

( Organ ORGANized trio - Free VST synth (organ) - vstplanet.com, added reverb twice and the rotary speaker plugin )
This is were I am at now :)

Only 10 min to go :(

Child in time, the John Lord first intro part. ( till about when gillian ? starts to sing.

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/ch ... n-progress
Made some minor changes, and I am back with 3 times Calf reverb plugin on the organ. ( John Lord )

This helps to make it sound more like the original.

Had some issues, but found out the midi file is like this.

I cant copy paste the notes, because of my different bpm, but I am recreating the midi pattern.

The main theme in the song, is this dang dang dang.

Three chords then a lower chord, and back to the three chord.
In this midi file however John lord does not do exactly what the band does,
( the midi file has the names of the original members, so there is John Lord ( upper and Lower )
Gillian, Ritchie, Glover, Paice ( drums ) :P

John lord plays a chord higher were the others play a chord lower.

I am in tune there, but the transition notes are not, I don't like it, It seems its done on purpose.
I am using E minor, which seems to be the right scale. This scale confirms , those transitions chords are out of scale. :P

My ears and the lmms E minor scale agree.
Funny thing is, just putting those transistions notes in scale did not help much, it still made me twitch.

The high-hat is now layered. I found a more bell like sound, to make it more like the Child in time hihaits.

The drummer hits the bell of the hi hat, giving it a sounds, I cant find in lmms.
Used one under -misc extra hats and layered that with another hihat.
Oooooo ooooooo ooooooo

Aaaahh aaaahh aaaahh

:)
516 posts