Linux record/sound studio

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
hi guys,

I'm going to be making a huge set of tutorials about how to set up a record or music creation studio.
Of course LMMS is part of it.

Now my LMMS experience isn't that huge, I can work with it, but that's kind of it.
So I think it would be nice to show everyone some links to some decent tutorials.
Now all the the links here are awesome, but does anyone here know other tutorials about lmms.

An other thing I'm wondering about is MIDI control. I'm no sure how well it performs in LMMS.
Even more, I'm going to build a conversion of an Playstation2 (€10) controller and an old joystick (€5) to a mixer with some extra knobs.
As for this: does anyone here have experience building these themselves? The budget goal is 20€ so I better find some cheap faders and knobs to go with it...

Any helps that make my futur posts better is really appreciated...

kind regards

Woutervddn
TechProjectMasters.blogspot.com
Hi. woutervddn.

You've got big plans ... because threre are a lot of problems to be solved, before you can build up a home recording studio with low budget .. *smile* ups my name :D

I'm on a projekt like yours. But the different is, my studio is more virtual and less physical at all.
I have also looked for good tutorials but i think the best available are listed here in the forum.

Connecting a joystick, mousepad, sribblepad or what ever directly to LMMS is not possible. You had to use a connector ... but i still haven't found one. So you had to programm your own 'bridge' that input the signal to a knob or whatver in LMMS. But there's the next problem ... once you have programmed a connector, you can't record it in LMMS (at the moment). The only recordable datas are midi notes ... but not controllers in the automation editor.
Also you can't rewire controller-data into a virtual instrument (at the moment), when the vsti does not unterstand midi learn.

But:
Connecting a midi-controller (hardware) or a keyboard does work.
I'm using the cheap Korg Nano's .. not perfect i know, but for composing rythms an electronic musik good enough i think. And for example, i 'm able to set up different parameters directly in the Key, Controller and Pad.
To program something special like a kind of connector or an own synth, sampler or so on is pure data a good choice. It's like Max MSP but for free :)
Here's a link for some great tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtgGol-I4gA

Best regards from Germany
Low Budget --> known as E.SoX 8-)
hi there,

thx for your reply..

I'm going to use a trust predator joystick and a playstation2 controller with usb.
As both are usb joysticks and I'm running lmms in linux, I'm using aseqjoy to convert the axis to midi events and the buttons as channel triggers.

I'm going to make my own version of the program so I can use a few buttons as channels and more buttons as midi events.

At first I was afraid that aseqjoy wouldn't accept two joysticks, but it does. So thats one problem less.
And because my data comes in as midi it works, I've allready tried it with 1 joystick, and the beauty of it all is this:
my joystick has only 6 axes. so I just use the channel switcher to make it act like 12,18,24,.. axis.
But would suck for some controls that should be permanent. a playbutton-trigger or a master volume should be controllable all the time.
Solution: LMMS allows you to turn the channel to -- which results in ALL channels..

Problem solved

I was thinking about a control surface that looks like this

Play/pause Stop Multiplicator1 2 3 4 5 Effectchannel1 2 3

master ch1 ch2 ch3 ch4 ch5
fader

So we've got 6 axis and 10 buttons, the axis are obvious. And the buttons would allow me to play/pause and stop all the time (channel-less like the master)
The multiplicators change the midi channel for ch1 to 5 so we get 25 channels to control.
The effectchannels 1 to 3 would set the ch1 to ch 5 to control other effects (reverb n stuff)

which give you control about play/pause stop buttons, 25 fx channels, the master fader and 15 effects.

BTW, at first I was scared that the value would jump if you would change value, but turns out the midi values only change when you are really changing them.

regards

Woutervddn
Very Interesting :)
Thanks for the detailed answers in both treats.

I'm looking forward to your first video-demonstration.

I've got a question about the whole project:
Have you set yourself some limits? I mean: maximum money to spend, time mark for the first results, 'end' of the project?

Best regards
E.SoX
the goal was set at €20 (27$).
for this price it should be possible to have all hardware.
But I changed some things, like the 2 joysticks, the goal still is at €20.

But if I look at it, having all extra hardware for €5 is going to be hard. So I might cross the limit. (esp if I'm going to make a case for it).
Although the two joystick project (23 buttons, 12 axis) might (will) cross the limit, I am confident that €20 is more than enough to make a 1 joystick version (12 axis, 10 button) and a case!

a new playstation 2 controller with USB port is avaible for €10 and all the rest you need is some knobs and faders..

woutervddn