completely new to music

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hello, I'm completely new to music. I have messed with lmms for months and know many things about it, but I still don't know about "music theory". Im very eager to learn but do not know where to start.

I've learned about notes,octaves, scales, melodies, chords from various sources... I dont know where to continue. I didn't even knew some of those terms before.
Like I said I've also played around with lmms for few months. I understand the song editor and beat bassline editor, but not quite the "mixer" and "controller rack". I know what samples, presets, sound fonts and VSTs are all about.

So basically I need to know what I need to know to progress farther.

I had this feeling when I started to learn programming on my free time few years ago. I never expected that I would be able to make my own games. At first I didn't know where to start and then what to learn next, that was the first year.
Still, I wouldn't call myself a programmer. Creating music is also something that takes years of studies and skills, I don't hope I would ever be able to make something as good as you guys. So please don't take me as someone who thinks highly of himself.
I simply have melodies going in my head sometimes and I just can't express it. Do you know what I mean?

I don't know if I might be of any help as a contributor. I never liked Qt.
I can do 3d modelling, but that won't be of any use here.
Perhaps as a tester? Ive already noticed that some VSTs go in an endless loop when you press few keys at the same time.
YES! your work can and will be helpfull!
any contribution is helpfull! LMMS is a great program, but just as with other open-source programs it relies on users who contribute to make the program even better.
you might want to start on the freenode channel of lmms (#lmms).

As for the music theory, I'm as good as tonedeaf, BUT

you might start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gHEIF0rT2w
it's a whole combination of music theory..
the guy looks goofy and I didn't have the time to look at all of them, but still..

kind regards

woutervddn
TechProjectMasters.blogspot.com
There wasnt anyone on the irc. I waited a bit.

As I see there arent many active people, it kinda beats the purpose of irc for me. I rather post in forum and come back later for reply.

That guy is kind annoying sometimes, dont mean to be rude. But if seriously its the kind of videos where many things are repeated and its too long for what it teaches (in my opinion).
true,.. but it can't be that there was no one at the IRC.. there's always people at the IRC.
maybe they were afk but the box could not be empty..

wouter
Hi lmmsusr.

When i'm reading your post i can't see whitch kind of music you want to create.
You've got some melodies in your mind, but in what kind to style you want to express them?
Maybe you can get a little more specific, then we are able to give better informations to you :)

- The mixer is for mixing the single instruments and it can be used for adding effects.
- The controllers are for automations. For example you can use the LFO for an automatic turn on knobs.

Maybe my tutorials are useful. I know, very special .. but filled with a lot of informations abount mixer and automations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Wy7CBhhow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az3fGAFh_B8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yuaQY2Xs5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXUrhL0zmhQ

BR
E.SoX
Woa, robotic voice, head hurts. Am I the first one to say that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eevWUj0NraY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoaEun4b ... re=related

stuff like this.

Can I?
*smile* Not the first one .. but with this voice the tutorial series is unique . And that was my goal with this automation tutorials. Just my way of expression :D

Hmm .. when you want to make orchestral musik at first you need a good midi-keyboard. Otherwise it sounds to static.
Maybe you need an external controller or a mixer, too. Controller is useful when you mix the sounds on your computer. An external mixer is needed when you are using other instruments (Keyboard, Sampler) and record the voices on another unit.

But the biggest problem and most expensive at all, is to get the right instruments. When you want to use classic instruments and you can't record them youself, you had to use soundfonts, multisamples or an external keyboard / sampler with this sounds on it.

For sure, there are some soundfonds available for free and also some sample-based VST for free ... but the often the quality isn't very close to an original instrument.
The most VST are available for Windows, some for MAC but less for Linux.

I think a good way to start is at http://www.kvraudio.com/ and watch the listed plugins and soundfonts.

hth
E.SoX
lowbudget wrote:*smile* Not the first one .. but with this voice the tutorial series is unique . And that was my goal with this automation tutorials. Just my way of expression :D
Well it makes it pretty hard for me to hear some words...
Hmm .. when you want to make orchestral musik at first you need a good midi-keyboard. Otherwise it sounds to static.
Thats a problem... Im dont want to sound cheap, but...
But can you shed some light on this? What do you mean by static? All I know is the standard PC keyboards aren't senstitive to how strong you press it, but the note sounds can be changed with GUI. Ive heard some making good music without a midi keyboard, just wondering.
But the biggest problem and most expensive at all, is to get the right instruments. When you want to use classic instruments and you can't record them youself, you had to use soundfonts, multisamples or an external keyboard / sampler with this sounds on it.
For sure, there are some soundfonds available for free and also some sample-based VST for free ... but the often the quality isn't very close to an original instrument.
I know, Ive downloaded a lot of terrible soundfonts before. Well if I cant afford host programs like fl studio, how can I spend as much for a single vst or sf? and I dont use cracked software.

it seams to me that the open source world of music isnt as developed as 2d/3d graphics and programmers tools yet. And not everyone is able to express himself. Which is kinda sad. I would never get into 3d if there wasnt Blender.
lmmsusr wrote: Thats a problem... Im dont want to sound cheap, but...
But can you shed some light on this? What do you mean by static? All I know is the standard PC keyboards aren't senstitive to how strong you press it, but the note sounds can be changed with GUI. Ive heard some making good music without a midi keyboard, just wondering.
I'll try to explain. When you're using a pc-keyboard or a mouse you can only trigger a note on/off. Sure, changing the values with the gui is possible, but have you ever changed it on hundrets of notes? Boring work. And finally, it sounds static (means digitally) ... the human touch is missing. Even the same problem when you quantize everything perfectly on the beat. Did you know that there are progams available (not for free) to 'humanize' musik? Don't forget, you don't want to make programmed electronic musik like i do :)
When you have listened to nice musik without using a midi-keyboard .. maybe he has imported midi-datas or has used sampled loops? .. listen again and try to catch a single instrument with your ear ... and listen to the volume, attack and release of the notes.
When you have got a musicstore next to you play a note on a piano with weighted keys. Play the same note on a keyboard with press-sensitive keys and at least on your pc-key...that's the different, the non-static human touch i mean.
lmmsusr wrote: it seams to me that the open source world of music isnt as developed as 2d/3d graphics and programmers tools yet. And not everyone is able to express himself. Which is kinda sad. I would never get into 3d if there wasnt Blender.
Blender is based on professional sources. You can't compare Blender with LMMS.
Also: graphics are digitally. The musik you want to create is based on classic analog instruments. Sampling every single note in the same sound is a long way and for a professional result you'll need a studio with a lots of expesive hardware. An also the original instrument ... cello, violin, drums and so on are very expensive too.
Making musik with freeware is developed, there are really nice plugins for free available. But all of them are based on digital sounds, waveforms, mathematics, synthesises. That's the problem.
Sure, changing the values with the gui is possible, but have you ever changed it on hundrets of notes? Boring work
Well if thats it, then no problem.
Theres the automation tool too, right?
Blender is based on professional sources. You can't compare Blender with LMMS.
Also: graphics are digitally. The musik you want to create is based on classic analog instruments.
Maybe it wasnt a good example. What about GIMP, Inkscape, or even Mozilla and Linux?
I just said that free music creation for everyone isnt so easy as 3d modelling or 2d arts, in my opinion, I didnt mean LMMS specifically. Its a relatively new program anyway.
You seam to agree as you said there aren't many good free instruments.

And... people use Blender also for photorealistic rendering, you know. http://www.drifterentertainment.com/wp- ... 72x300.jpg
But all of them are based on digital sounds, waveforms, mathematics, synthesises
What else can they use?

In my impression your making it look too complicated for me. :D I never expected to reach professional quality anyway.