A dedicated MIDI controller specially made for LMMS

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hi all,

I just started my blog TechProjectMasters.blogspot.com
And my first project is a set of tutorials about how to set up a linux record/sound studio.

On my list there are also some midi controllers. Believe me, it will take more than a year to build the really big one I'm planning.
But others are way more simple. I've figured that with some software tweaks and a playstation2 controller you can com a long way.

So I'm either going to build a big one or a cheap one dedicated for LMMS; it will all be a matter of the amount of LEDs and buttons and knobs and faders and..

Some of you might have heard of the Aurora-mixer. It was a midi mixer that was designed to be completely open-source. I loved the project.
But today we have to notice that the creators have abandoned their project and it's left to die.
The Aurora mixer was a great device (and had tons of LED's), but it had 1 big problem, his design was made for Ableton.
As you might know, ableton is far from a free, open-source project.

Just today I've noticed a dedicated controller for MIXXX (a free dj alternative to VirtualDJ or TraktorPro), but again this controller has a lot of LED's n stuff.

So here's my question:
How should a dedicated controller for LMMS look?

Should it be big with a lot of features, or should it be simple and cheap to reflect the fact that Open-Source is meant to be for everyone?
What should the design look like? (I'm guessing a mixer with master volume, some faders, mute buttons; A list of buttons that control the beat/bassline editor;
A play/pause,stop,record buttonset; maybe a loop set..

Pls post your designs (image) and write what should be where and why.
(but keep in mind that more functions = more complex = bigger midi controller = way more expensive..)

Woutervddn
TechProjectMasters
öhm ... lol?

Sorry but LMMS ist not a dj-progamm like MiXX (or Ableton *smile'). Forget this ideas with "loop", "mute", "solo" and so on.
When you want to use cheap stuff look for little controllers in a musicstore. You can buy one (programmable) for 40-150 €uros. I think an open source project can't beat this price.

In LMMS you can't set individual loop-points. The controller connects at the moment one way --- from controller to LMMS, but not back.
When you load a new project it could be happend, that the controller is binded to the knobs / sliders form the first one.
The controller has no corresponding after loading a new project. That means: you had to turn the knobs to send new datas... but that should kill your last adjustments in LMMS.
At the moment it is not possible to bind "play" or "stop" to midi
And ups .. recording controller-data in LMMS does not work (at the moment).

Maybe anyone has better informations? This are the results of own experimentations with my Korg-Nanos.
I allready replied on the other thread.. (https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/lmms ... p=497#p479)

Well, with the unison project there will hopefully be a completely other setup for live performing (even before unison there was talk about a function like this.)
I know LMMS isn't ableton, I really do, and I don't think LMMS should do things more like ableton. I also know it's not MIXXX.

But in my opinion people use the fx to little. I've only come across 1 project that uses the fx.
+ I'd love to be able to change everything without using the mouse. A midi keyboard and this 20€ controller should be enough to control it all.
Although I might want to use more buttons to start recording etc. But notice I'm only using one controller here..

The layout that I posted in the other thread only uses the playstation controller. So i've still have 6axes and 12 buttons that I can map.

Lastly, using LMMS with such a controller would allow me to see the things that might be added esp. for live performance.

Although I think we should make a few considerations about this. Like the question if this is something that should be done by LMMS or another program.
But for now I'll just do the build, work with it a little and then I'll evaluate the usability of LMMS for live performance and the usability of the controller.

regards

Woutervddn
TechProjectMasters.blogspot.com