Is making an Arrangement/Remix/Cover from a MIDI cheating?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
This topic has probably come up before but I wanted to know if you guys think that making an Arrangement/Cover from a MIDI is cheating? I personally don't think so because it would take FOREVER to replicate video game music by ear and before I do a remix for a song, I take time to really dissect how the song was made, the overall flow of the song and what kinds of notes it uses. Also, if you do a cover with a MIDI, you have to listen to the original song very closely in order to make sure that you're not missing any crucial elements so it trains your ears to look for the little details. Then, there is the part where you have to pick and choose which instruments go with each other so your training your ears even more. Finally, there's the part where you can improvise from the original creators work and possibly make it better than the original. One thing I ALWAYS make sure to do when I make an Arrangement is credit the original composer
It would be cheating if you pretend to have recomposed the track by the ear.

However, it is an easy solution that does not replace the learning of listening.

Otherwise, the idea is to progress, to learn something, and that's the case, right?
So, for me, as long as you are clear with yourself, everything is fine.
In respect to composing music, I think rearrangements of midi-music should be considered as a learning experience.
Rearranging is not 'music-making' it is reuse of existing music!
It can however be very useful, and a method to understand structure and use of harmonics.
Used that way it is a tool for learning. It is of-cause not ok to claim composer credits, for midi-rearranged music. But the area is murky, and also brushes the area of sampling, when is a track 'new' or different 'enough' to be a new piece of music?
I think you will find loads of different opinions on that.
musikbear wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:26 pm
In respect to composing music, I think rearrangements of midi-music should be considered as a learning experience.
Rearranging is not 'music-making' it is reuse of existing music!
It can however be very useful, and a method to understand structure and use of harmonics.
Used that way it is a tool for learning. It is of-cause not ok to claim composer credits, for midi-rearranged music. But the area is murky, and also brushes the area of sampling, when is a track 'new' or different 'enough' to be a new piece of music?
I think you will find loads of different opinions on that.
Thank you, I have always wanted to try my hand at arranging video game music but I didn't know if that was morally accepted. I'm doing these arrangements so I can get better at music so my own original compositions are just that much better. (I'm currently a self taught musician). Also, I'm arranging these tracks because its fun to see just how creative you can get with them. Yoko Shimomura is one of my inspirations so if I can one day get to her level then that would be awesome. Like I said before, I ALWAYS make sure to credit the original composer.
DJStarbreaker wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:35 pm
This topic has probably come up before but I wanted to know if you guys think that making an Arrangement/Cover from a MIDI is cheating? I personally don't think so because it would take FOREVER to replicate video game music by ear and before I do a remix for a song, I take time to really dissect how the song was made, the overall flow of the song and what kinds of notes it uses. Also, if you do a cover with a MIDI, you have to listen to the original song very closely in order to make sure that you're not missing any crucial elements so it trains your ears to look for the little details. Then, there is the part where you have to pick and choose which instruments go with each other so your training your ears even more. Finally, there's the part where you can improvise from the original creators work and possibly make it better than the original. One thing I ALWAYS make sure to do when I make an Arrangement is credit the original composer
I'm unsure how you can "cheat" when creating music. The goal is generally to create something original and appealing, and if through use of other midi files you accomplish both of those, then I don't see anything wrong with it (as long as you give the original artist credit). However, it can be a good exercise to try and replicate them by ear.
I kind of agree with DudeGuy... making music isn't something like a competition that you can "cheat" at. As long as you're learning and doing something cool, mission accomplished! Besides, making new arrangements is nothing new. People in the classical community do it all the time- for instance if you wanted to take an orchestral piece and make a version for piano. I see what you're doing as basically the same thing (Case in point: https://soundcloud.com/spugintrntl/blue ... d-for-lmms ). The only difference is you're using a MIDI file, which is kinda like sheet music for a computer. As long as you're crediting the original artist etc. (I know you've already made it pretty clear that you are, I just feel like I'm obligated to throw that in there for some reason...)

If it makes you feel any better, just think of yourself as a musical Andy Warhol.
I have learned a lot from looking at midi files.

One of my problems, is that when I hear something I often don't have a clue on how that would look in lmms.

Never give up never surrender, I am getting better at it, and studying midi files is one thing that helped me.

But also reading allot of boring music theory, and watching video's of people making music in any daw. ( programs like lmms)

Cubase, Albeton, fruity loops.

Its how I found out how still dre by dre makes that "piano" sound.

Its a chord but the three notes are not played at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CL6n0FJZpk

As others said, using a midi file and then claiming you made it is cheating.
But as musicbear says that also depends on how much you change it.