How would I go about expanding my knowledge of LMMS?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
This DAW is really fun to use and it feels like I've only scratched the surface of what I can do with it. I need direction in order to improve myself, though.

Let me list off the things I know how to do in LMMS to provide ideas of what I should learn next!:

-I can make buildups
-I can create a "Swoosh" sound effect using a CALF filter and a Triple Oscillator.
-I know how to use automation
-I can use CALF Filters to create even more buildup
-I know how to copy and paste note sections and how to slightly alter them to create variation or to put them in a different instrument to see how it sounds
- I can add Reverb to instruments to make them sound better if an instrument needs that little extra kick to it or just plainly sounds dry without it.
-I know how to individually change the volume of notes
-I can import MIDI files
-I can make simple beats that keep the listener's attention and that can actually make them stay for the whole duration of the song

One area that I really struggle with is original compositions, though. Hence why almost all of my stuff has been nothing but remixes.

How it normally goes is, I sit there for a good 30 to 45 minutes trying to think of good note combinations and listening to the same notes over and over with slight variation and then I eventually throw in the towel because I can't think of anything good (Writer's Block).

If you could offer ideas on how I could further improve myself, that would be great! Have a nice day, everyone! :D
DJStarbreaker wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:14 pm
How it normally goes is, I sit there for a good 30 to 45 minutes trying to think of good note combinations and listening to the same notes over and over with slight variation and then I eventually throw in the towel because I can't think of anything good (Writer's Block).

If you could offer ideas on how I could further improve myself, that would be great! Have a nice day, everyone! :D
My two cents about composition: do it!

Don't let what goes through your mind stop you from acting. It is possible that I project my own difficulties by saying this, but I believe that it is a real diffuclt that some people can meet: while we think about it, we don't do it (while we think how to introduce a track, we do not introduce it, we just think about it. We think about it but we do not act. It's circular and so trivial). I think it's the same for everything. Cognitive processes, the thought process that engages when we compose is not a verbal process, words have no place when the music is being written. The words come after, during a break, or when the work session is over. While the music is being written, the words are silent.

Nike's slogan is really trivial: "Just do it". Do you want to compose now? Just do it now! That's all. Do not think (with words), do it. Do not listen to the music you just wrote, keep writing it.

In short, remember what you are, open the door and enter in trance.

(I speak like a guru ... I hope I don't say too much bullshit :lol: )
I would like to add something.

Before starting to create something, every artisan prepares his equipment, his tools. Which is yours? LMMS and musical instruments (synth, samples, sf2, etc.).

It may seem tedious at first glance, but I think it's a good idea to create a template containing instruments that you like (some bass, some pads, some drums, etc.), and why not, a mixer with some effects . Even if you do not use them all, it does not matter, but they are there, ready to be used. So, instead of starting a new project that does not contain much (a triple oscillator, a sample track, a kicker and an automation track), you can open a template that you have prepared and is ready to use ( you just have to save it under a new name). The advantage of the template is that you can use it for as many projects as you want. It's ready to use, so you do not have to start a project by asking which synths you're going to use. It's simple and it works.

(just for info, I spent many months on my own templates and when I can, I improve them, little by little).

Regarding the Writer's Block that you mention, I guess something like "just do it" does not really help. Indeed, you could answer something like "OK, just do it, but how to do it?". The trap is there. The trap is to answer, to keep thinking, it becomes circular, "how can I just do it if I do not know how to do it?"

Do not hope anything. Accept what comes in you. Inspires, expires, and ... do it.