Do you feel part of an online scene?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
I have started using LMMS 2 months ago. Since then, I am digging on some forums like this or IDM music.
I noticed that there is a lot of music, technically very well produced and sounding totally different than music from labels such as Warp or Kranky (IDM), also do not fitting to any genre such as house or techno.
I would say that this is a new phenomenon. People gathering on forums, developing their technical skills in the area of DAW, experimenting with waves, staying outside the world of labels, music for 'normal' people or music to dance, also - with a big interest in gaming/game music.

Do you feel like a part of LMMS, any other music-based community, do you identify with some specific style of living, or music genre?

For the purposes of the discussion, here is an interesting article about similar(?), online-based, kind of music:
https://daily.bandcamp.com/2017/11/08/d ... cian-wave/
No, I do not feel part of an online scene, and I do not consider LMMS users to be a community (but maybe I'm wong, maybe there's a real community that I do not know about ?).
D.Ipsum wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:37 am
No, I do not feel part of an online scene, and I do not consider LMMS users to be a community (but maybe I'm wong, maybe there's a real community that I do not know about ?).
The one I know and belong to, is the community of people learning LMMS, asking for help in technical aspects and others if their tracks can be called music :D
I was thinking that maybe people who are long enough making music, just for fun, as a hobby, outside the music industry(?) can say that there is some kind of community in the internet medium?
Maybe it is hard for people making electronic music to create kind of communities? As it is very solitary activity and usually electronic music artists are introverts? And the necessary condition for creating of some kind of group is doing things together (playing live, listening to similar stuff, discussing, learning together...)
I am also asking because in the real-live it is very hard to find people who are making musics in LMMS and are influenced by similar artists. In my Uni, for example, there is only one electronic music society - but people there are only into drum and bass, parties and djing...

Do you belong to any music-related, real-live community?
PPNDP wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:57 am
The presence of LMMS on the web is fragmented (Git, LSP, forum, Facebook, Discord, other?).
I visit the Git and the LSP without participating, or very little.
I opened an account on Discord but it seems a little complicated, which explains why I went there once or twice.
I do not have a Facebook account.
Therefore, I do not have an overview on the activity that gravitates around LMMS.

I am especially present on the forum, and with what I see on the forum, I have a hard time considering this as a community (I think that my criteria are a little rigid :lol: ).

IRL, no, I'm not part of any music-related community. Several years ago, I was in a group of friends, and many of us played one or more instruments. As soon as there was an instrument, there was necessarily music. It was something informal, just a group of friends. Now, it's like you're talking about, it's become a solitary activity. It may be a bit for this reason that I participate on this forum, to interact with people who also use LMMS (but, in fact, I do not know why I do what I do when I do it :lol: ).

And you? So, little or no LMMS user around you?

And you, dear LMMS user, what do you think about all this?
A community is imo -a place where anyone, independent of skill or knowledge, can ask relevant questions, or present examples of their work, and expect responses within the same week. In that context, LMMS has a community.
Are the 'LMMSers' a 'clan', with special implied lingos and activities? No!
So imo it all comes down to defining when a same-interest group, interact sufficiently in order to call it a scene.
That is a totally individual point of view.
D.Ipsum wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:07 am
PPNDP wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:57 am
The presence of LMMS on the web is fragmented (Git, LSP, forum, Facebook, Discord, other?).
I visit the Git and the LSP without participating, or very little.
I opened an account on Discord but it seems a little complicated, which explains why I went there once or twice.
I do not have a Facebook account.
Therefore, I do not have an overview on the activity that gravitates around LMMS.

I am especially present on the forum, and with what I see on the forum, I have a hard time considering this as a community (I think that my criteria are a little rigid :lol: ).

IRL, no, I'm not part of any music-related community. Several years ago, I was in a group of friends, and many of us played one or more instruments. As soon as there was an instrument, there was necessarily music. It was something informal, just a group of friends. Now, it's like you're talking about, it's become a solitary activity. It may be a bit for this reason that I participate on this forum, to interact with people who also use LMMS (but, in fact, I do not know why I do what I do when I do it :lol: ).

And you? So, little or no LMMS user around you?

And you, dear LMMS user, what do you think about all this?
I agree, it is hard to say that fora are the good ground for creating community. I can see them more as a market with a possibility of exchange skills, promoting yourself...

You would never ask newly meet musicians in a way: 'hey man, how to make this' and play her fragment of a song. Or 'hey you, random person, listen to my new song, now, and give me feedback!'.

Especially in a realm of electronic music, where a lot of people are impatient, want to get effects very fast, where the main goal is to 'make a banger', and it is less about the process of creating and finding your own ways of expression... - there is a lot of fora where people are not interacting but just getting what they want...

For me, what is the important part of creating music-focused community is that there must be natural musical interaction. People have to play together. Know each other, also be friends, go out and develop together.

It is hard to achieve when you are on the move when you are not a kid anymore and the phase of making a band with your schoolmates you have long behind you.

All I have now musically is LMMS, tutorials, my own world of music, some free time. When you feel that it is hard to musically (and in other aspects too) synchronize with other people, making music in solitude is the best way. Especially, when i remind myself how cooperation, organising meetings may be hard.

What do you people think about it?
Do you know any LMMS users in real-live?
Do you belong to any music-related community?
PPNDP, you summarize my difficulty in considering the world around LMMS as a community.

I just read this on the French wikipedia:

"The term community is a widespread use in the world of the web to designate all stakeholders in the development and use of a code base.The community is made up of people (physical, possibly moral) ranging from core developers who maintain the code base and make important technical decisions to single users, through contributors, who can help the collective effort by detecting bugs, proposing patches or helping with tasks such as documentation."

It joins and complements what you and musikbear said earlier.

So, in that sense, there is an LMMS community, and I'm part of it :lol:

PPNDP wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:48 pm
+ Is there anything like an LMMS scene?
+ Do you remember the LMMS Group on Soundcloud? Can we call it a scene?
Yes, hard to disagree with Musicbear and D.Ipsum. Definitely, LMMS forum fulfils all conditions for being an online community :D
(source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_community ).
As I have not participated in any other online communities before, these kind of online interactions are still for me a bit abstract. I really enjoy listening to other people music, giving them feedback, judging, looking for help etc. - it fills somehow the social void and is fun. But it lacks this element of real community that I need. Especially, when I know how music scenes had developed in pre-internet times: Detroit house/techno, no-wave in NY, DIY in Washington DC.... In this context, an online community is more like a tool or a vent for other users to realize their personal needs, of course with a great technical support of advanced users of LMMS.
Also, the situation is complicated because everything that is connecting the users here is LMMS. We all differ in our music tastes, the music we want to make, influences, views...Besides that, I am usually trying to follow LMMS users from Soundcloud - I think this is a part of the support that is needed for a community to develop.
For me, it is also hard to treat forums in this pragmatic way, where you are just asking specific questions about a specific topic and give technical support. It may be sometimes limiting. But it is good to extend the limits of the forum's purposes.
PPNDP wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:48 pm
+ Is there anything like an LMMS scene?
+ Do you remember the LMMS Group on Soundcloud? Can we call it a scene?
[/quote]
GoodLuck wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:25 am
How reliable is this service? I need to urgently write an article.
If you are NOT a bot reply: 2*10-5 == ?
This calculation is really very hard....
But you can never be too careful.