Message to anyone who's intimidated by equalizers (like me)

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
I finally tried using an equalizer and my head just exploded.

So I've been using LMMS for several years, mostly just for fun, and in the last year or so I've been posting tracks on the Music Projects board here and have been getting some great feedback (thanks guys!). Lately I've been thinking about turning music production into a career (because honestly, I could spend DAYS just puttering around in LMMS and be perfectly happy). So I've been trying to figure out how to make my tracks sound more professional, mostly by watching youtube videos and reading any article on the subject that I can get my hands on, and I've come to two solid conclusions.

A: If you've got even a rudimentary understanding of how music works, production isn't nearly as complicated as it might seem at first.

B: Understanding EQ and compression is pretty vital.

Ever since I started using LMMS (and/or trying to record music in general), I've always shied away from compressors and equalizers because I had no understanding of how they worked. They look really complicated and were, frankly, terrifying to me... but, I figured if I'm going to make a stab at turning this into a career I'd better give learning these things a decent shot. I started with compression a few weeks ago and honestly didn't see what the big deal was (I'm probably just using it wrong, but I couldn't see much of a difference... maybe it doesn't make as much of a difference in LMMS because most of the synths I use have really comprehensive envelope controls and there's no need for compression? I don't know.). Today, however, after watching a couple tutorial videos on how EQ works, I started to experiment with the LADSPA C* EQ (the first one on the list) on this one track I've been having trouble with and OH MY GOODNESS WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE?? WHY DID I NOT DO THIS SOONER?? I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS PLUGIN, AND NOW EVERYTHING SOUNDS FANTASTIC!! (I am exaggerating only very slightly)

So yeah. Turns out EQs are also not nearly as difficult as they first seem, and if you're intimidated by them (like I was), don't worry! It's pretty easy to learn how to use them effectively, and if you're anything like me, the difference might just make your head explode.
Foggy wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:29 pm
(because honestly, I could spend DAYS just puttering around in LMMS and be perfectly happy).
SAEM XD
Could ya add the link to the vid?
About compressors, I repeat a comment I wrote elsewhere:

To facilitate the use of a compressor, you can use an oscilloscope, for example: http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=4 (it's a VST effect). I think the oscilloscope is a very good tool for visualizing the effect of waveform compression.

The idea:
- Place an oscilloscope before the compressor = visualization of the waveform before compression
- Place an oscilloscope after the compressor = visualization of the compressed signal

If both instances of the oscilloscope are not synchronized visually, you have to reload your project.

To compare the signal before / after compression:
- open the two oscilloscopes,
- click on the waveform of the first oscilloscope, for example where the peak appears
- technical information appears : look at the dB
- click on the waveform of the second oscilloscope in the same place as for the first oscilloscope
- in this way, you get a visual mark that facilitates the comparison of the signal pre and post compression.

Sorry, I do not know how to explain it more clearly, but it's very easy actually ...
D.Ipsum wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:48 pm
About compressors, I repeat a comment I wrote elsewhere:

To facilitate the use of a compressor, you can use an oscilloscope, for example: http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=4 (it's a VST effect). I think the oscilloscope is a very good tool for visualizing the effect of waveform compression.

The idea:
- Place an oscilloscope before the compressor = visualization of the waveform before compression
- Place an oscilloscope after the compressor = visualization of the compressed signal

If both instances of the oscilloscope are not synchronized visually, you have to reload your project.

To compare the signal before / after compression:
- open the two oscilloscopes,
- click on the waveform of the first oscilloscope, for example where the peak appears
- technical information appears : look at the dB
- click on the waveform of the second oscilloscope in the same place as for the first oscilloscope
- in this way, you get a visual mark that facilitates the comparison of the signal pre and post compression.

Sorry, I do not know how to explain it more clearly, but it's very easy actually ...
How do u get it to work?
GingkathFox wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 pm
Could ya add the link to the vid?
Yes! Here it is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI3diHXO7r8&t=1s
It's the first part in a series about EQ techniques. The only real problem with it is that the one he's using is WAY different visually from anything in LMMS, but I think he does a good job explaining what an EQ does and how it can be used. (The same guy has an email newsletter with tips in it, which is pretty neat once you get past his slightly pretentious tone. Not all the tips are wholly useful because it's aimed more at recording artists than digital producers, but I've still found it really helpful).

And thanks D.Ipsum for the tip! A little while later after I started this thread, I started experimenting with a couple different compressors (after yet another tutorial video to remind me what the knobs were supposed to do). I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, but I definitely want to try your oscilloscope trick to see the difference in signals... only I didn't know LMMS had an oscilloscope plugin? I know about the one near the top of the window by the CPU gauge, but in order to put one before/after the compressor plugin it would have to be part of the effects rack, right? I can't find it in the plugin list.
GingkathFox wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:59 pm
How do u get it to work?
The compressor?

I hope I'm not going to say nonsense :lol:

Well, there are several compressors in LMMS. I will take the example of SC4 (which is also available in Audacity).

But first, in LMMS, there is an error in the name of several effects.

In LMMS, you have SC4 and SC4 mono.
- The SC4 should be called SC4 mono (because it acts in the same way on the left and right channels, it does not allow to dissociate the treatments applied to the two channels).
- The SC4 mono should be called SC4 stereo (because it allows to dissociate the applied treatments to the left and right channels).

For example, you will also find this error in the name of LADSPA: C * Eq - 10 band equalizer and LADSPA: C * Eq2x2 - stereo - 10 band equalizer. Hmm ...

So, open an instance of the SC4 compressor (as a reminder, it's mono and not stereo).
The SC4 contains the following parameters (I modify the order of appearance of the parameters):

- RMS / peak: this allows you to compress your signal according to its RMS envelope (values ​​from 0 to 0.5), or according to its peak (values ​​from 0.5 to 1). I find that the difference between 0 and 1 is quite subtle ...

- Threshold level (dB): the level of the threshold expressed in dB, and extends from -30dB to 0dB (for recall, numerically, the lowest volume is at -infinite dB and the loudest volume capped at 0dB). This level determines when your compressor will activate. For example, if the threshold is set to -9dB, the compressor will activate as soon as your signal reaches this threshold. So, if the volume of your signal is between -30dB and -9,1dB, the compressor will not activate. It will only activate when your signal reaches -9dB. And it will be active as long as your signal is between -9dB and 0dB.

- Ratio (1:n): the ratio is expressed in fractions (1:n that is to say 1 divided by n possible values, with n as the value you define, from 1 to 19.9975). This gain reduction ratio is the compression ratio of the signal. Once your signal reaches the threshold you set (-9dB), the compressor will activate and will compress the signal more or less strongly. If you choose a ratio of 1 (so 1:1), the output signal will be identical to the input signal (=no compression). Beyond 1, you start to compress. If you choose a ratio of 2 (so 1:2), the dynamics of your input signal that exceeds the threshold will be divided by 2 (1:2 reads as follows: if your input signal exceeds the threshold by 1dB, your output signal will only exceed it by 0.5dB, so 1dB divided by 2). If you choose a ratio of 4 (so 1:4), the portion of the signal that exceeds the threshold will be reduced by a factor of 4 (if your input signal exceeds the threshold by 1 dB, at the output, it will exceed the threshold only by 0.25dB, so 1dB divided by 4, an input of 1 dB above the threshold will be reduced at the output to 0.25 dB above the threshold.). Etc.

- Attack time (ms): the attack time is expressed in milliseconds. The attack time of the compressor works much like the attack time of the volume envelope. Once your signal reaches the threshold you have set (-9dB), the compressor will start compressing after a few milliseconds. So, if you choose a 20ms attack time, once your signal exceeds the -9dB threshold, the compressor will start compressing after 20ms.

- Release time (ms): the release time is expressed in milliseconds. It works a lot like the release of the volume envelope. When your signal exceeds the threshold, the compressor will activate after a few ms. And as soon as your signal goes below the threshold, the compressor will turn off depending on the release time. If you choose a release time of 2, the compressor will take 2ms to stop compressing. If you choose a release of 4, the compressor will take 4ms to stop compressing.

- Knee radius (dB): it is expressed in dB. According to http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/sc4.html, it corresponds to "the distance from the threshold where the knee curve starts". In short, the high values ​​correspond to the soft knee (the ratio goes from 1:1 to 1:n gradually), and the low values ​​correspond to the hard knee (the ratio goes from 1:1 to 1:n more quickly).

- Makeup gain (dB): it is expressed in dB. Once your signal is compressed, once its dynamics is reduced, once its gain is reduced, this setting allows you to boost the volume of your signal. So, this is the last parameter to manipulate.

Voilà. Now, the other LMMS compressors are a bit different, but if you know how to use the SC4, you should be able to use the others.

Finally, I advise you to use the oscilloscope to visualize what can be difficult to listen.

:arrow: Maybe someone can explain that more clearly? :lol:
Foggy wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:29 am
I didn't know LMMS had an oscilloscope plugin?
No, LMMS does not have an oscilloscope (except the one above the CPU bar, but this one does not allow to visualize the effect of compression, it's a gadget not very useful).

For my part, I use the one I mentioned earlier, and you can download it here: http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=4
Like all my VSTs, I put it in C:\Program Files\LMMS\plugins\VST (maybe it's different for you).
It's a VST effect that is inserted via the FX tab of the instruments, or via the effects chain of the mixer.

(The VSTi or VST instrument opens with VeSTige, and the VSTe or VST effect opens via the FX tab of the instruments or via the effects chain of the mixer. There is no VST in LMMS, you have to download them elsewhere. Some are free, others are paying).
That was actually a pretty clear and concise explanation, at least for me. I had the basics down (threshold and ratio), but the other ones I hadn't really messed with. Thanks for that! Also thanks for the download link.