Any female producers/aspiring producers/hobbyists out there?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
PPNDP wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Ha. I used my hacking skills and click on your profile to see posts ;)
I am kinda old for the beginner, I am now doing my Master's degree in UK and work (I am from Poland originally).
Since always I was into music (probably playing the piano as a kid does not count), I played the bass guitar for some time, then I also lost access to instruments. Now I am trying again learn some piano (I bought the digital one recently and use it as a MIDI controller).
As it may sound funny, I had a moment of enlightenment on my first-ever-electronic festival (Farr, this July) and I have decided to try with electronic music ;).
Yeah, I agree, producing is very addictive :)
Haha, neat

You're never to old to begin ;) Anyway if you're doing your master's you must only be in your early 20s?

Yeah it does count! Do you do (music) grades in Poland for piano or is there a different system over there (I'm in the UK too btw)?

Nah that doesn't sound funny. To be inspired to learn by those who are already putting their learning to good use is only natural ;)
PPNDP wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:13 pm
What kind of music do you listen to?
It's a long story xD 'Alternative' rock (like fall out boy, panic at the disco, mcr) and rock (eg: Imagine Dragons), hip-hop & rap (like Logic, Token, Oddisee, Joyner Lucas), heavy metal (eg: Bring Me the Horizon's old stuff, Apply for a Shore ), indie rock (eg: Everything Everything), dubstep (and variations like chillstep, drumstep, jazzstep, etc...), bands with no specific genre (like Twenty One Pilots, Enter Shikari), Tokio Myers, etc.... Oh yeah and the creations of producers like Ours Samplus....yeah as I said it's a long story lol

How about you?
PlsHelpMeNøtSuck wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:14 am
Haha, neat

You're never to old to begin ;) Anyway if you're doing your master's you must only be in your early 20s?

Yeah it does count! Do you do (music) grades in Poland for piano or is there a different system over there (I'm in the UK too btw)?

Nah that doesn't sound funny. To be inspired to learn by those who are already putting their learning to good use is only natural ;)

It's a long story xD 'Alternative' rock (like fall out boy, panic at the disco, mcr) and rock (eg: Imagine Dragons), hip-hop & rap (like Logic, Token, Oddisee, Joyner Lucas), heavy metal (eg: Bring Me the Horizon's old stuff, Apply for a Shore ), indie rock (eg: Everything Everything), dubstep (and variations like chillstep, drumstep, jazzstep, etc...), bands with no specific genre (like Twenty One Pilots, Enter Shikari), Tokio Myers, etc.... Oh yeah and the creations of producers like Ours Samplus....yeah as I said it's a long story lol

How about you?
Still twentyish. But not for long ;)
Thanks to free polish music education I went to music school as a kid to play the piano. I barely remember how to play Chopin now but I bought a lot of music sheets recently to renew my knowledge.
Unfortunately, I don't know any of those bands! Maybe I am too old!
I listened to those genres:
-lots of old school hip-hop in my teens: A Tribe Called Quest, M.O.P, Smif-n-Wessun, Jeru the Damaja - those were my favourite;
-Polish hip-hop bands: mostly Paktofonika and Kaliber 44 were the best;
-Radiohead of course - band of my high school and a lot of post rock: Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Do May Say Think, Sigur Ros, Battles, Pram...
- Later I was in the heavy indie-rock phase: Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, The Shins, Death Cab for Cutie, The Microphones, Sunny Day Real Estate, Sleater-Kinney, The Postal Service, etc
- Later was a lot of electronic, experimental music, ambient also IDM: Jan Jelinek, Tim Hecker, Brian Eno,
- What generally inspires me musically and is a bit a soundtrack to my life: I can listen to them all the time is Boards of Canada - all their albums (you can call it idm music, I guess)

I really recommend you all those artists! They are so inspiring. I am still listening to all of them!

When I heard your beats, I think it will be inspiring for you, one of the most underestimated producers: Nujabes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrO9PTpuSSs&t=3049s

How do you learn LMMS? What are your feelings about this programme?
PPNDP wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:47 pm
Still twentyish. But not for long ;)
Thanks to free polish music education I went to music school as a kid to play the piano. I barely remember how to play Chopin now but I bought a lot of music sheets recently to renew my knowledge.
Unfortunately, I don't know any of those bands! Maybe I am too old!
I listened to those genres:
-lots of old school hip-hop in my teens: A Tribe Called Quest, M.O.P, Smif-n-Wessun, Jeru the Damaja - those were my favourite;
-Polish hip-hop bands: mostly Paktofonika and Kaliber 44 were the best;
-Radiohead of course - band of my high school and a lot of post rock: Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Do May Say Think, Sigur Ros, Battles, Pram...
- Later I was in the heavy indie-rock phase: Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, The Shins, Death Cab for Cutie, The Microphones, Sunny Day Real Estate, Sleater-Kinney, The Postal Service, etc
- Later was a lot of electronic, experimental music, ambient also IDM: Jan Jelinek, Tim Hecker, Brian Eno,
- What generally inspires me musically and is a bit a soundtrack to my life: I can listen to them all the time is Boards of Canada - all their albums (you can call it idm music, I guess)

I really recommend you all those artists! They are so inspiring. I am still listening to all of them!

When I heard your beats, I think it will be inspiring for you, one of the most underestimated producers: Nujabes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrO9PTpuSSs&t=3049s
Haha ok :D

Lucky :) Wish we had that in the UK.

No don't worry, some of them are a little obscure. But if you have time I'd definitely check them out (for Twenty One Pilots I recommend starting with their self-titled album from 2009).

I'll definitely listen to all of them! Thanks for the suggestions :)
PPNDP wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:47 pm
How do you learn LMMS? What are your feelings about this programme?
I started off just experimenting, throwing in random samples and seeing what I ended up with, didn't watch any tutorials or anything. For at least two months I didn't even know that there was a whole list of presets, just used the instruments tab and made some awful stuff lol. After a few months of messing around no more than about twice a month on LMMS when I was bored, I was starting to get discouraged by how bad my stuff sounded compared to pro mixes/ songs, so I started watching a couple of youtube tutorials to actually learn the basics. Gradually as I kept on experimenting, with my new-found knowledge of the fundamentals, songs with structure (like verses and choruses) started to emerge, and my creations slowly started to sound a bit better. Eventually I got the courage to start a soundcloud and try to get some feedback and that's helping a bit.

Now I'm trying to watch more tutorials on things like mixing and collecting some free samples and plugins to experiment with :)

I think LMMS can be used to create some pretty good/ profession stuff from what I've heard, though I think it's harder to get good music out of it if you're a beginner because the LMMS presets/ samples aren't as good as the ones on, say, Logic. Also, the effects aren't as intuitive and easy to tweak to get something good. But I think once you know what you're doing, your music's quality won't be far off that of other DAWs. At least that's what I hypothesise - when I get more skill I may realise some shortcomings with LMMS that I haven't foreseen but...we'll see.

What do you think about it?
PlsHelpMeNøtSuck wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:59 am
(Do not be discouraged! I am convinced that with time, patience, study and experimentation, anyone can give the best of himself, and produce a very good job. In terms of available options, LMMS is not far behind commercial software. It's a bit of the weak point.)
PlsHelpMeNøtSuck wrote:
I started off just experimenting, throwing in random samples and seeing what I ended up with, didn't watch any tutorials or anything. For at least two months I didn't even know that there was a whole list of presets, just used the instruments tab and made some awful stuff lol. After a few months of messing around no more than about twice a month on LMMS when I was bored, I was starting to get discouraged by how bad my stuff sounded compared to pro mixes/ songs, so I started watching a couple of youtube tutorials to actually learn the basics. Gradually as I kept on experimenting, with my new-found knowledge of the fundamentals, songs with structure (like verses and choruses) started to emerge, and my creations slowly started to sound a bit better. Eventually I got the courage to start a soundcloud and try to get some feedback and that's helping a bit.

Now I'm trying to watch more tutorials on things like mixing and collecting some free samples and plugins to experiment with :)

I think LMMS can be used to create some pretty good/ profession stuff from what I've heard, though I think it's harder to get good music out of it if you're a beginner because the LMMS presets/ samples aren't as good as the ones on, say, Logic. Also, the effects aren't as intuitive and easy to tweak to get something good. But I think once you know what you're doing, your music's quality won't be far off that of other DAWs. At least that's what I hypothesise - when I get more skill I may realise some shortcomings with LMMS that I haven't foreseen but...we'll see.

[/quote]

Hey!
I think it is a good idea to experiment with LMMS - it is very intuitive and is not so visually frightening like commercial programs (I am checking them out to compare etc) so it is very easy to start from the very first day. I have started learning from this book: 'LMMS: a complete guide to dance music production' (maybe you know it) with creating the beat from scratches according to their instructions.

I agree with you that music does not sound like stuff made by professional artists, but they have programs, DAWs and plugins worthy thousands of pounds. Presets are the solution in the beginning but I think it is also good to learn how to set your own parameters to get the intended effect. The knowledge is coming with time and work so It can be only better. And collecting samples is a very good idea - I am also looking for some original sounds.
Yes, the YT tutorials are saviors. I also learned a lot from them. I think that knowledge from other DAWS is translatable and I am also watching not-LMMS tutorials to learn.

As a beginner, I find annoying that I need to create individual bassline for every beat. Sometimes I use 10 different beats and my song editor is so long, it extends to 1 meter. It is hard to control if I use too many samples and instruments. Also there is not enough more in-deep tutorials for me how to use effects. Or maybe I just need to dig deeper.

I think you are on a good way to make great music. You want to learn and that is the most important!
D.Ipsum wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:23 am
PlsHelpMeNøtSuck wrote:
(Do not be discouraged! I am convinced that with time, patience, study and experimentation, anyone can give the best of himself, and produce a very good job. In terms of available options, LMMS is not far behind commercial software. It's a bit of the weak point.)
Definitely, I agree!
D.Ipsum wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:23 am
PlsHelpMeNøtSuck wrote:
Thanks! Yeah, hopefully I can make some quality stuff with practice
PPNDP wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:27 am

Hey!
I think it is a good idea to experiment with LMMS - it is very intuitive and is not so visually frightening like commercial programs (I am checking them out to compare etc) so it is very easy to start from the very first day. I have started learning from this book: 'LMMS: a complete guide to dance music production' (maybe you know it) with creating the beat from scratches according to their instructions.

I agree with you that music does not sound like stuff made by professional artists, but they have programs, DAWs and plugins worthy thousands of pounds. Presets are the solution in the beginning but I think it is also good to learn how to set your own parameters to get the intended effect. The knowledge is coming with time and work so It can be only better. And collecting samples is a very good idea - I am also looking for some original sounds.
Yes, the YT tutorials are saviors. I also learned a lot from them. I think that knowledge from other DAWS is translatable and I am also watching not-LMMS tutorials to learn.

As a beginner, I find annoying that I need to create individual bassline for every beat. Sometimes I use 10 different beats and my song editor is so long, it extends to 1 meter. It is hard to control if I use too many samples and instruments. Also there is not enough more in-deep tutorials for me how to use effects. Or maybe I just need to dig deeper.

I think you are on a good way to make great music. You want to learn and that is the most important!
I haven't actually heard of it, I'll check it out.

Yeah, I agree, sound design is important and actually really interesting (in my very limited experience :D ) Do you record any of your own sounds, or get them off websites?

Yes, youtube tutorials save me in every aspect of my life. That's how I learnt piano...and how I passed my GCSEs to be honest xD And yeah I agree, I've watched a lot of FL studios videos.

Mmmm that is true, the bassline system isn`t the most efficient. I normally only put drums in the bassline editor though. As for effects, I`m mostly just trying to learn those through extensive experimentation.

Thank you :)
PlsHelpMeNøtSuck wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:23 pm

I haven't actually heard of it, I'll check it out.

Yeah, I agree, sound design is important and actually really interesting (in my very limited experience :D ) Do you record any of your own sounds, or get them off websites?

Yes, youtube tutorials save me in every aspect of my life. That's how I learnt piano...and how I passed my GCSEs to be honest xD And yeah I agree, I've watched a lot of FL studios videos.

Mmmm that is true, the bassline system isn`t the most efficient. I normally only put drums in the bassline editor though. As for effects, I`m mostly just trying to learn those through extensive experimentation.

Thank you :)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LMMS-Complete- ... ance+mucis
This one?
Do you record any of your own sounds, or get them off websites?
Usually, I am using this website for looking for vst: http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?m=VS ... tecture)
Also, this is the great source of unusual sounds: https://freesound.org/
I love to experiment with taking samples, reversing them or looping and playing on the on piano roll - you can get some cool effects :)

And the book on LMMS is available to download:
http://libgen.io/_ads/CF6479F0E025650F931833150E83D721 (just click 'get' to download) or use the search window for other versions:
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=l ... olumn=def

Also, I found a group for female music producers on facebook - just search for NormalNotNovelty Network - they are very active and offer workshops in London and also put job/intern offers for people interested in music. You can publish there your music to get feedback etc. I joined this group yesterday :) Hope there will be workshops in January.