Hardware Controller LMMS for piano roll melody recording

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hey everybody,

Newbie here :-)

When creating a melody in a piano roll of a VST I find my mousepad and keys very limited. Creating a melody by activating the green notes this way is not 'flowy'.

I know I can 'compose' something on the keyboard but that is also pretty unnatural.

I have seen movies about piano-like controllers that you can play on and hear the sound of the VST with applied effects 'real time'. This is way better for creating melodies!

I do have a yamaha psr-e303. Can I use that to play through lmmsand its VST's? I also have a tascam 122L. My OS is win 7 32bit.

And could I then record what I am playing through that VST in the piano roll? A little like recording guitar in Cubase but then through the vst's of LMMS? So that it will note down what I play as green notes in the piano roll? Or is that not a function of LMMS?

I hope my questions are clear, and thanks in advance!

Grtz
I'm not really sure ... always used keyboard or grid to make tunes. You can always hook it up and give it a shot. If that doesn't work, you can try recording it in Audacity (a free audio editing program) then load the track into LMMS. You can go to Edit>Settings>MIDI settings and seeing if you can get your board to connect.
And could I then record what I am playing through that VST in the piano roll? A little like recording guitar in Cubase but then through the vst's of LMMS? So that it will note down what I play as green notes in the piano roll? Or is that not a function of LMMS?
you can 'record' (create note-events) both flat and layered in lmms
the red/white record-button allow you to record independent of anything you have in your songeditor, eg a flat record
The red/white/black recordbutton gives you the great posibillity to record along with everything you alre4afy have in your BB & songeditor -eg layered.
I have a video on yT that shows how to do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFy8tipBbB8

on this board you can find threads for eksternal hw that works with lmms, but give your own stuf a go and tell us if it worked :) -and
http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index. ... Using_MIDI
shows how to connect midi divises

Br.
Huzzay!

I got the keyboard to work on lmms. I can insert an instrument in the song editor and when I strike the keys of the board I hear the instrument through my speakers.

Psr e-303 -> midi out -> cable -> midi in tascam -> tascam usb to pc -> select tascam as input in lmms. Tascam also goes through my stereo via cinch (red/white tulip) and thus speakers. Some lag, but not extreme.

If I can now figure out how to record what I play on the keyboard through the instruments and vst's in their piano roll then i'm one happy camper.

By the way, in both firefox and opera i cannot reply on this forum, so i have to use IE... sucks!