Do digital music distribution companies help you gain fans?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
I was doing some research on digital music distribution companies but I couldn't find out what they do besides putting your music on Spotify, iTunes, etc.

My question is: Do they actually do anything else besides putting up your music such as promoting it?
Doubt anyone here knows..
Email them, and ask
FenA wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:06 am
I was doing some research on digital music distribution companies but I couldn't find out what they do besides putting your music on Spotify, iTunes, etc.

My question is: Do they actually do anything else besides putting up your music such as promoting it?
In my experience with Soundrop, no, as they don't promote my music, they just manage the rights and distribute to iTunes and whatnot.
FenA wrote:

I use an Italian distributor for my productions, mixnauten global music distribution (www.mixnauten.com). For my experience, This is the only distributor that promotes your tracks its own social channels. like facebook or linkedin. The guys work very well.
Sounddrop is 'free'. Why would any free service want to promote your music?

The same goes for any other paid distribution service as well. These services charge literally a handful of dollars for every track. That's not even enough to buy anyone's time for an hour at minimum wage.

Promotion is a pay to play thing. If you expect someone else to do your promotion for you, you need to to pay up, fair and simple.

That said, promoting your music yourself isn't terribly hard. If your music is good, editors at top blogs want to listen to it.

Two key things are:

1. Relevance - Don't send an EDM track to a blog that covers indie artists. I help artists promote themselves and the number one complaint I get is that editors reject their tracks because it doesn't fit the blog's audience.

2. Your email - Too many artists just ramble on and on about their inspiration and their upbringing and blah blah. Take a leaf from salespeople' playbook - stick to a maximum of 3-4 sentences. Simply identify who you are, what your song is about, and link to the song + any other collateral

You of course need a list of blogs to contact (shameless plug, I put together a list here [mods, remove if necessary but I thought it was a good fit]: https://midination.com/blogs-submit-music/). You need to get good at finding email addresses since not every blog identifies the editor's name or email. Your best bet is to use tools like Hunter.io or AnyMailFinder. Else, just send an email through their contact form (every blog has one) and ask for the editor's email (most will be happy to help)

Do the same for Facebook page owners, Spotify playlist creators, etc.

This is the only PROVEN way I know to promote your music for free - reaching out to editors and playlist/page owners.

For everything else, be prepared to pay
FenA wrote:

I think they sorta do so, even if it is unintentional.
The names of those companies, belong to big name music platforms.
So people will flock to those sites, even if they don't know much, about what the site does.

I think the best thing to do, is to try to not depend too much, on the musical platform.
And instead, try to go out there, and promote your music yourself.

I know it's tough to do that, but at least you can say, that you tried.