LMMS and non musical composition/sound FX generation?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hi, (Feel free to move this if another sub-forum is appropriate)

Has anyone used the sequencing/ automation features of LMMS to develop sound-scape compositions/ effects as opposed to music?

I am asking for two reasons..

1. I was considering trying to make an 'environment' loop for an event and the end of October (Audacity doesn't (yet) have the sequencing/automation capabilities LMMS does.). (I've also heard some really bad "Halloween sound effects loops online as well, and was thinking surely something better could be made.)

2. I also was slightly concerned at not being able to find 'free' environment loops, to use for other purposes... (I can find isolate sound effects.). Many of the proprietary licensed sound loops I can find have usage restrictions, that wouldn't let me use them in certain instances, like Creative Commons audio drama. I also doubt that there is a real world recording of what the inside of the Wizards tower, or a "Sunrise on Io" sounds like.

Quite a few sound effects can probably by generated on the included synths in LMMS, Is there a tutorial?
afarlie wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:39 pm
Hi
Yes, LMMS allows you to make sound-scape compositions.

You can do a lot of things with the synths and effects of LMMS. But I want to say that everything depends on the time you have and the knowledge you have.

In addition to native synths and audio effects, LMMS also allows you to work with VST (instruments and effects), soundfont, samples (.ogg, .wav, .flac), giga banks.

Personally, I get nice effects with the synths and effects of LMMS, for example: https://soundcloud.com/dipsum/0121-03-1-wip
I find it very amusing to synthesize birds and other bugs (of course, the other users also achieve interesting results).

But if you're a beginner and you do not have time, I think it's better to focus your work on using samples to make collages (this is also the way you seem to prefer) .

There are third party sites on which you can find material such as royalty-free samples that you could use for your project. I do not think of any particular site.

You can also record your own material (even with your phone ...). You can edit it in Audacity and then use it in LMMS.
D.Ipsum wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:04 am
afarlie wrote:
Hi
Yes, LMMS allows you to make sound-scape compositions.

You can do a lot of things with the synths and effects of LMMS. But I want to say that everything depends on the time you have and the knowledge you have.

In addition to native synths and audio effects, LMMS also allows you to work with VST (instruments and effects), soundfont, samples (.ogg, .wav, .flac), giga banks.

And assuming I have the right codecs MP3? (Not that anyone should use an encumbered format when if the patents have expired in some locations.)
D.Ipsum wrote:
Personally, I get nice effects with the synths and effects of LMMS, for example: https://soundcloud.com/dipsum/0121-03-1-wip
[/quote=D.Ipsum post_id=57493 time=1536638665 user_id=3690]

That WIP is nice... :D reminds me somewhat of the 80's era Radiophonic effects for Doctor Who ...

I find it very amusing to synthesize birds and other bugs (of course, the other users also achieve interesting results).

But if you're a beginner and you do not have time, I think it's better to focus your work on using samples to make collages (this is also the way you seem to prefer) .

There are third party sites on which you can find material such as royalty-free samples that you could use for your project. I do not think of any particular site.
Yes , Sites like "freesound" being one, although I generally prefer to use "creative Commons" over Royalty free, because of usage limits on proprietary licensed samples. (Some nominally "royalty free" libraries, have clauses about not using samples in certain types of works, or have morality clauses) A limitation that doesn't exist with creative commons samples.)
D.Ipsum wrote:
You can also record your own material (even with your phone ...). You can edit it in Audacity and then use it in LMMS.
Well using 'found' sounds is essentially how 'musiqe concrete' techniques started. Such techniques are equally applicable to soundscapes and FX works. 8-)

Using tweaked version of one of the drum samples supplied with LMMMS, I was able to build a passable "engine/generator" SFX, albiet I will have to mix the composite track down to use it in other mixes, due to the tempo effect.

A simple engine sound is relatively straightforward to produce, given that it's essentialy 2-4 valve clicks and a compression stroke. That base pattern can then be run at a given tempo ( i,.e setting the RPM of the nominal engine.).

Would thoughts about how to sequence specific FX be better suited to the production forum?
D.Ipsum wrote:
birds and other bugs
You cant sneak that pass me. I have to.... as in must.. compelled even.....

You really do not like birds or you really hate Darwin..

sooorryii.... :'D
afarlie wrote:
develop sound-scape compositions/ effects as opposed to music?
Here you should learn about HG Furtunes Alionoxis
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... Pro&id=589
Ok, its is not simple, but meeOmy what it deliver.. !

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome afarlie !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
musikbear wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:55 pm
D.Ipsum wrote:
afarlie wrote:
develop sound-scape compositions/ effects as opposed to music?
Here you should learn about HG Furtunes Alionoxis
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... Pro&id=589
Ok, its is not simple, but meeOmy what it deliver.. !
Wow - https://web.archive.org/web/20140421171 ... FortuneNFG
It seems a while back the developer of the synth concerned put a LOT of thier old synths on archive.org. Worth checking out. 8-)
afarlie wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:38 am
(...)
And assuming I have the right codecs MP3? (Not that anyone should use an encumbered format when if the patents have expired in some locations.)

(...)
Would thoughts about how to sequence specific FX be better suited to the production forum?
Regarding the .mp3 I do not know (I'm still on version 1.1.3 that does not support the .mp3). Similarly, regarding the legal aspect, I am ignorant about these issues (anyway, I no longer use samples produced by third parties :P ).

Otherwise, yes, the Production Help section of the forum is more appropriate for asking specific technical questions.

What is your soundscape project? Urban environment?
musikbear wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:55 pm
D.Ipsum wrote:
birds and other bugs
You cant sneak that pass me. I have to.... as in must.. compelled even.....

You really do not like birds or you really hate Darwin..

sooorryii.... :'D
Sorry I do not understand what you want to mean :o
D.Ipsum wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:15 am
afarlie wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:38 am
(...)

(...)
Regarding the .mp3 I do not know (I'm still on version 1.1.3 that does not support the .mp3). Similarly, regarding the legal aspect, I am ignorant about these issues (anyway, I no longer use samples produced by third parties :P ).

Otherwise, yes, the Production Help section of the forum is more appropriate for asking specific technical questions.

What is your soundscape project? Urban environment?
A personal project (experimenting to see if it was feasible), trying to make a sound scape for either an insect colony or a herd of giant (semi mobile) plants ( There was a specific sound effect the BBC Triffids adaptation in the 1980's used, which I can't for copyright reasons.). I had some thoughts (mostly to do with modulated clicks, and shaped white noise)... If I get further with it, I'll start a new thread in the Production forum (if appropriate.)
afarlie wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:48 am
A personal project (experimenting to see if it was feasible), trying to make a sound scape for either an insect colony or a herd of giant (semi mobile) plants ( There was a specific sound effect the BBC Triffids adaptation in the 1980's used, which I can't for copyright reasons.). I had some thoughts (mostly to do with modulated clicks, and shaped white noise)... If I get further with it, I'll start a new thread in the Production forum (if appropriate.)
How long is the loop you want to design?

Is it possible to listen to the sound effect used by BBC?
Maybe it's possible to synthesize something similar.
D.Ipsum wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:27 am
afarlie wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:48 am
How long is the loop you want to design?

Is it possible to listen to the sound effect used by BBC?
Maybe it's possible to synthesize something similar.
The loop I had in mind was about 2 mins in total... and I should have said earlier that I want to make this loop myself. 8-)

I've not been able to find the BBC (1981) Sound effect,online sources seem to think it was a Radiphonic Workshop 'special sound'.