Post your MIDI-Hardware that works in LMMS here

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
89 posts
ccosmic wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:46 pm
Acorn Masterkey 49 works like a charm with LMMS, both play and record, plug and play
Welcome to the Forum ccosmic
Thanks for letting us know about your HW success with LMMS. I will update list shortly
Here are also all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
My Alesis Ricital 88-key digital piano works great
Using Windows 10
Wijpkjen wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:33 pm
My Alesis Ricital 88-key digital piano works great
Using Windows 10
First off, Welcome to the Forum Wijpkjen !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740

We are in a transfer wiki process but your keyboard will be added asap
Casio CDP-220R works perfect. Win10 Pro
Maybe I'll try it on Win10 Home but I think it won't make much difference
Pineappologist wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:34 pm
Casio CDP-220R works perfect. Win10 Pro
Maybe I'll try it on Win10 Home but I think it won't make much difference
Thank you!
Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome Pineappologist !
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
Roland Boutique's
SE-02
SH-01A
TB-03
TR-08

Novation Remote SL25

all working. on Windows10 and Linux...

It's MIDI...it MUST work
Novation Launchpad Pro (old version, not the mk3)
Windows 10 Professional
Prof_ESD wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:43 am
Novation Launchpad Pro (old version, not the mk3)
Windows 10 Professional
Thanks - 👍
And since you are new in Forum
Welcome Prof_ESD!
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
Alesis VI61 (https://www.alesis.com/products/legacy/vi61) works great on Fedora 33 using LMMS v1.2.2.

Since this took me a lot of digging and trial/error thought I'd record what I found are useful/required steps here:

How to get Alesis VI61 and LMMS playing nice together:
  • Plug in USB cable to computer and power ON your Alesis VI61
  • Next, run the command

Code: Select all

amidi -l
    at your Linux terminal.
    • You should see output similar to

Dir Device    Name
        IO  hw:1,0,0  VI61 MIDI 1
        IO  hw:1,0,1  VI61 MIDI 2

• This tells us the device name that we'll want to set in LMMS is going to be
      hw:1,0
    • Go to LMMS->Edit->Settings
      • Set Midi Interface to Alsa Raw-Midi (if you don't see this as an option you have other problems)
      • Set Device to

(or whatever was appropriate for you based on your output of amidi -l)
    • Click OK
    • Verify Connectivity! Under Triple Oscillator of your Song-Editor in LMMS, go to Midi Settings
      • Click Enable Midi Input
      • Set Channel to 1
    • At this point you should be able to verify pressing keyboard keys on Alesis midi keyboard gets some sounds out of LMMS.
  • After registering your product with Alesis, you will be able to download the VI61 Editor software from your account there. Download and install it! There's also a firmware update you can install there. Install that too (only need to do once).
  • NOTE: Close LMMS if you have it open!! You can't connect the Alesis VI61 Editor and LMMS to your controller at the same time.
  • Run the Alesis VI61 Editor under Wine from your Linux terminal with following command:

wine ./.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Alesis/Alesis\ VI61\ Editor/Alesis\ VI61\ Editor.exe

• Go to Help -> Open User Guide for details on Alesis VI61 editor
  • Go to Options -> Device Setup
    • Under Input, select VI61 - VI61 MIDI 1.
    • Under Output, select VI61 - VI61 MIDI 2.
    • Click OK
  • Go to Keybed
    • Set Midi Channel to 1.
    • If you don't want the keys to have velocity curve, then set Fixed = 127 or set Curve to 8
  • Go to Mod/Pitch
    • Set Midi Channel for Mod Wheel to Channel 13 (or whatever channel you prefer)
    • Set Pitch Wheel Midi Channel to Omni
  • Go to Drum Pads. You may want to set Pad 1 to use channel 2 and increase by 1 for each subsequent pad.
    • To match LMMS UI defaults set Note to 69 for each Pad
    • You probably want to also set Fixed to 127 for each Pad (no velocity curve). At least for beginners this will be less frustrating.
    • If you are certain you want velocity curve to your pad then you need to set Fixed = 0 and set Curve to 1-8. 8 is a flat velocity curve essentially equivalent to picking Fixed=127 so really pick Curve 1-7 if you are going for a velocity curve. 1 is linear.
    • Note there are 16 pads and only a total of 16 channels to assign so you may want to reuse some channels in creative ways
  • Make whatever assignments make sense for your Knobs, Switches, Transport, Sustain, Roll Mode etc
  • Go to Main -> Save Preset to Hard Drive. This will allow you to come back and edit this in future as needed.
  • Go to Main -> Send Preset to Hardware (NOTE: You must close LMMS for this step to work!)
  • Close the Alesis VI61 Editor program. NOTE: You can't have it and LMMS running at same time
  • Start up lmms.

You should now be able to assign channels to controllers (e.g. pitch) and instruments in LMMS UI and control them using the Alesis VI61.
calyx wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:35 am
Alesis VI61 (https://www.alesis.com/products/legacy/vi61) works great on Fedora 33 using LMMS v1.2.2.

Since this took me a lot of digging and trial/error thought I'd record what I found are useful/required steps here:

How to get Alesis VI61 and LMMS playing nice together:
  • Plug in USB cable to computer and power ON your Alesis VI61
  • Next, run the command

amidi -l
    at your Linux terminal.
    • You should see output similar to

Dir Device    Name
        IO  hw:1,0,0  VI61 MIDI 1
        IO  hw:1,0,1  VI61 MIDI 2

• This tells us the device name that we'll want to set in LMMS is going to be
    • Go to LMMS->Edit->Settings
      • Set Midi Interface to Alsa Raw-Midi (if you don't see this as an option you have other problems)
      • Set Device to

(or whatever was appropriate for you based on your output of amidi -l)
    • Click OK
    • Verify Connectivity! Under Triple Oscillator of your Song-Editor in LMMS, go to Midi Settings
      • Click Enable Midi Input
      • Set Channel to 1
    • At this point you should be able to verify pressing keyboard keys on Alesis midi keyboard gets some sounds out of LMMS.
  • After registering your product with Alesis, you will be able to download the VI61 Editor software from your account there. Download and install it! There's also a firmware update you can install there. Install that too (only need to do once).
  • NOTE: Close LMMS if you have it open!! You can't connect the Alesis VI61 Editor and LMMS to your controller at the same time.
  • Run the Alesis VI61 Editor under Wine from your Linux terminal with following command:

wine ./.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Alesis/Alesis\ VI61\ Editor/Alesis\ VI61\ Editor.exe

• Go to Help -> Open User Guide for details on Alesis VI61 editor
  • Go to Options -> Device Setup
    • Under Input, select VI61 - VI61 MIDI 1.
    • Under Output, select VI61 - VI61 MIDI 2.
    • Click OK
  • Go to Keybed
    • Set Midi Channel to 1.
    • If you don't want the keys to have velocity curve, then set Fixed = 127 or set Curve to 8
  • Go to Mod/Pitch
    • Set Midi Channel for Mod Wheel to Channel 13 (or whatever channel you prefer)
    • Set Pitch Wheel Midi Channel to 14 (or whatever channel you prefer)
  • Go to Drum Pads. You may want to set Pad 1 to use channel 2 and increase by 1 for each subsequent pad.
    • To match LMMS UI defaults set Note to 69 for each Pad
    • You probably want to also set Fixed to 127 for each Pad (no velocity curve). At least for beginners this will be less frustrating.
    • If you are certain you want velocity curve to your pad then you need to set Fixed = 0 and set Curve to 1-8. 8 is a flat velocity curve essentially equivalent to picking Fixed=127 so really pick Curve 1-7 if you are going for a velocity curve. 1 is linear.
    • Note there are 16 pads and only a total of 16 channels to assign so you may want to reuse some channels in creative ways
  • Make whatever assignments make sense for your Knobs, Switches, Transport, Sustain, Roll Mode etc
  • Go to Main -> Save Preset to Hard Drive. This will allow you to come back and edit this in future as needed.
  • Go to Main -> Send Preset to Hardware (NOTE: You must close LMMS for this step to work!)
  • Close the Alesis VI61 Editor program. NOTE: You can't have it and LMMS running at same time
  • Start up lmms.

You should now be able to assign channels to controllers (e.g. pitch) and instruments in LMMS UI and control them using the Alesis VI61.
Great information. I am sure other kB-issues on fedora (if any) can benefit from your findings 👍
89 posts