Connect a Yamaha Keyboard Via USB Instead of MIDI

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could connect my Yamaha keyboard to my laptop and use it in LMMS using the USB interface instead of a MIDI cable/adaptor.

Also, I have a milliom pre-sets on my keyboard that I wanna use to record music, would it work with the sounds that come on the keyboard or do I have to use VSTs?

Thanks, everyone! :D
What Yamaha keyboard is it? They're not all the same.

Most newish ones, no problem. Some older ones, no chance. Almost all modern keyboards use MIDI over USB rather than the old 5-pin MIDI connectors.

Steve
TheLich wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:17 am
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could connect my Yamaha keyboard to my laptop and use it in LMMS using the USB interface instead of a MIDI cable/adaptor.

Also, I have a milliom pre-sets on my keyboard that I wanna use to record music, would it work with the sounds that come on the keyboard or do I have to use VSTs?

Thanks, everyone! :D
Which Yamaha keyboard? :geek:
I tried a Yamaha P-45 thru USB a few weeks ago in LMMS 1.1.3 on Mac OSX with no luck. The keyboard just never registered in the MIDI settings as an option. I tried a bunch of different sequences of powering on and plugging in, etc.

I'd love to see what part of the codebase adds support, and how I could dabble with adding in support.
tobinquadros wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:15 am
I'd love to see what part of the codebase adds support, and how I could dabble with adding in support.
Are you a C++ coder?
If you are and like to join the project development, that would be great -Currently MAC support is quite limited.
Are you a C++ coder?
If you are and like to join the project development, that would be great -Currently MAC support is quite limited.
I'm actually not a C++ developer by profession, but I do work on C/C++ build systems and write clean test-driven code in a few other languages. I've been wanting to dive into a useful C/C++ audio project and this one seems cool. I have a lot of experience with DAW's as well, so I thought contributing to the project doesn't seem too far fetched if you all are open to helping on-board me. How does one join project development? Should I just follow: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/wiki ??
tobinquadros wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:33 am
I've been wanting to dive into a useful C/C++ audio project and this one seems cool. I have a lot of experience with DAW's as well,
That sound very promising!
Should I just follow: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/wiki ??
Yes! exactly! -
You are very welcomed!
Let us know if you have any issues with creating your repository or connecting GIT!