Music in an old arcade video game

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
musikbear wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:59 pm
Well done! There are a few notes where i expected a different note, but this piece has properly almost 101 variations, in how to be played
I think the midi file I found and the Synthesia vid are already two variations.

I have not compared them note for note, but there are differences.

My ears at some points are also in doubt if these are the best notes to use.

The midi file has a few out of scale notes, Mine are all in key ( E minor )
Gps wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:03 pm
The midi file has a few out of scale notes, Mine are all in key ( E minor )
Its highly possible, that classical pieces has single sharp notes, inside the score, like:
musikbear wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:03 am

Its highly possible, that classical pieces has single sharp notes, inside the score
Sharp means black keys right ? There are some black keys in the E minor scale.

From watching many music theory vids, I know some out of scale notes don't sound out of scale.

I remember a vid of a female music teacher showing this. And also saying she did not know why, but also not to think about it too much. If it sounds right it is right. :P

Maybe I should try a piece of sheet music of spanish romance.
I remember seeing one that looked allot like the second picture.
Gps wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:38 am
Sharp means black keys right ? There are some black keys in the E minor scale.
No, its not black notes IN the scale, they are notes that does not belong to the scale, but are used, and in the score only that single note is marked with either a # or bb tags, just as in the pictures i posted.
So instead of having the #/bb symbols at the cleft, meaning that every note in the whole piece should be played # or bb, the composer places the symbol for only one specific note! -Inside the score
Thank you

So we are talking about out of scale notes. :)

The problem I have with the midi file, I don't like how that one out of scale note sounds.
There are more out of scale notes in an arpeggio part, but my ears don't protest on that part. :)

My version has everything in scale though, for now.

I am however not 100% happy, some nagging feeling it can be improved. ( some notes )

I am gonna look for sheet music, and see what notes are used in the synthesia vid in more detail.
At first glance they did not look different from the midi file, except for the bassline.

And have another look at the notes you suggested.

Also need to find a way to play with more feeling in lmms. For now not sure how to do this.
Just move notes in the piano roll or use automation on the bpm.
Need to try what sounds best. I want to do this at the end though, not yet now.

I noticed the guitar players slowing down at some points playing the piece, so automating the bpm might be easiest way.

Hard to tell what they do in the synthesia vid. You can hear the slowing down, but if its bpm or spaces in the piano roll ?

The midi file does not have the tempo changes from the originals.
musikbear wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:38 pm
I have it down to
f#min
f# e d c# b d f# b+ a g g f# e f# g f# b...
Just to make sure, the + sign after the second b is a typo ?

Edit: It was not a typo

While putting the notes in the piano roll the b+ makes sense.
Its b plus because its one octave higher then the previous b. :)

I like how it sounds. Some part is note wise a bit different from the midi file.
I think you're notes are better though. Gives a bit more difference between the notes around note 9 and 10.

Basically I only had to lower most notes down to F#
I only had to adjust a few notes.
Tomorrow probably will finish first part with you're notes.

I am impressed again, how you can get those notes by just listening. :)
Gps wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:37 pm
slower parts
Thats where genius kicks in!
Those classical guitar virtuost are Artists (big A) they 'hesitates' with a few notes, and then the notes gets even more 'soul' and touches us deeper!
That is 'just' pure art, and i doubt this piece will be performed identically by different guitar-artists. The performer put a bit of himself into the piece. That will be seriously difficult to emulate in a DAW
brentberger wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:10 pm
I like music from games. Especially from Minecraft. Is anyone else a fan of this game here?
Game is really awesome and it always had an awesome music theme, by the way, did you see the new RTX remake?