How do VST websites make money?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
I know many VST's cost money, but the ones that are free, like all the VSTS on https://www.dskmusic.com/ how do they make money? If I use that VST in a song and post it, will they be able to claim it, through copyright? :/
Damon Tattersfield wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:01 am
If I use that VST in a song and post it, will they be able to claim it, through copyright? :/
You need to read everything on the DL-page and any DL included documents. I seriously doubt that DSK would do that, but if you want to use a VST, YOU need to make sure, it is legit, and that there are no strings attached (other that those ..strings you like........
musikbear wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Okay, thank you :)
Damon Tattersfield wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:01 am
I know many VST's cost money, but the ones that are free, like all the VSTS on https://www.dskmusic.com/ how do they make money? If I use that VST in a song and post it, will they be able to claim it, through copyright? :/
i have never heard about any strings attached like musikbear mentioned where the holders and or makers of the VST could claim what you made, i would have to research if strings attached stuff exist which it may but i know marketing and free virtual instruments get a VST brand out into the world and known by people from providing a free VST for people to download and use which gets a VST brand out there into the world and known by people, and it is likely that the downloader of the free VST if they like the free VST and are looking for more VSTs will go with the brand where that free VST came from and the VSTs they are looking at are not free and they bought a VST which makes the VST holder and or maker- money from that persons purchase of there VST

it is possible that the downloader of the free VST would have never purchased any of the paid VSTs from a brand but the person was brought into the VST brand by that VST brand providing one or some of there VSTs for free, the thing though with putting out a free VST is you want it to be good and work because if it was not good like it played white noise only :) in the same note and did not work maybe that could put off a potential customer. i had to change it from white noise only to white noise in the same note because LMMS from what i remember has white noise you can play in different notes :)

some free things make money through advertising and or data collection and i know of no free or not free VST that makes money that way

i was wondering how and why LMMS is free and came across this post from Musikbear, i know this stuff musikbear posted already but found it interesting that another user "Gabrielxd195" was talking about keeping LMMS competitive with other DAWs when LMMS is free and from what i know LMMS does not make any money and it is just some post i came across while looking around i think from trying to figure out a VST issue/issues i was having

[quote= would make it more competitive with other daw [/quote wrote:
Does that matter? Afaik there is no 'competition'. Competitors fights for market-shares, because they make money on set shares. LMMS does not.
I see no reason to compare LMMS' market-position to any commercial DAW' Its rather irrelevant.
In respect to getting coders, i think that beside having deep insigt in cpp/qt there are 3 factors that matters:

interest in music
spare time in abundance
strong believe in open-source

If that can be accepted, then it is obviously a limited number of programmer-candidates
ok thanks for the answers! :)
I am on a free os, free as in charge and open source, Linux. (opensuse)

One way the company behind my free OS makes money, is to sell the os to companies.
The companies then pay for the support they get, not so much for the os.
it is conceivable that the downloader of the free VST would have never bought any of the paid VSTs from a brand however the individual was brought into the VST brand by that VST brand giving one or some of there VSTs for nothing, the thing however with putting out a free VST is you need it to be acceptable and work in such a case that it was bad similar to it played repetitive sound :) in a similar note and didn't work perhaps that could put off a likely client.