Synth 1 alternatives?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
I've come across synth 1 ref's several time on this forum but as a Linux user I'm excluded from using it. I've started playing with tripleoscilator but would like to have a broad GUI like i see on synth 1 that resembles a physical synth so I can see how I get on with that without buying one first.
I've been through the instrument list ( & there is some interesting stuff ) but not really like synth1 in layout. ZynAddSub is a little closer but I can guarantee it will crash the whole LMMS program pretty quickly as soon as start fiddling with parameters.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
On Linux if you install wine, you should have no problems using Synth 1 through Vestige.

Which Linux (desktop) are you on ? Ubuntu? Mint ? Fedora ? Suse ? Arch ? Debian ? :P
If its one of the above it should be easy to install wine.

Wine stand for Wine Is Not an Emulator. :P

That is debatable, because it emulates windows on a Linux machine.
For Synth 1 it helps Linux to deal with the .dll file.

https://www.winehq.org/

What version of LMMS are you using ?

Linux ( mint ), Synth 1 in LMMS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrGafU87PXs
Thanks for replying GPS. I should have mentioned I know of WIne's existence & that I switched to Linux to get away from Windows, as far away as possible & that includes avoiding Wine if I can. It feels too much like skulking in through the back door with tail between my legs. Even the acronym annoys me as the acronym self references to form the acronym.

Just so you know why I hate them so much.
I was one of those unfortunates who had Win 10 forced down their throats, I was using my laptop at the time, the screen went black & had the message that Win 10 would be installed in x sec's & there was nothing I could do to stop it. 2 hrs later - yes 2 effin hours - I had Win 10 & my laptop ran like a POS. I'd declined 'upgrading' notifications as when I did that from 8 to 8.1 my laptop was almost unusable for 2 weeks & having sorted that out I didn't want that to happen again. Then they took away the decline option so I closed the window with the little red cross. Unbeknownst to almost everyone microscum had reassigned this button as the accept option as well. $&+*?><$ little *+%$£>?<@'s.
It put up a real fight not to install Linux too but I won that one.

That said I'm not going to cut my nose off to spite my face. So just one question for synth 1 users: How good is it ?

I'm using Linux Light 3.4, kernel shows 4.4.0, compiled #-185 ubuntu SMP.

LMMS is 1.1.3
TDNE wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:57 am
avoiding Wine if I can.
Thats /excuse me -rubbish
There is no reason to avoid WINE.
WINE is a component for LINUX, and MS has nothing to do with wine
Use WINE or be limited to only use factory-instruments, if you persist in your wine-denial, then the only instrument in LMMS that comes 'close' is zasfx!
LMMS is 1.1.3
That is also rubbish. 1.1.3 is 4 y old, and no way as stable or has comparable features in respect to 1.2
1.2.0 even runs on XP! -Perfectly!
IF NOT you only have a x32 Linux installation : Upgrade!

*If you have made anything ...Back-up your own stuff
*Un-install current installation
*(re)move the config dot-file
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... h_Settings
Linux-users need the AppImage on the Linux-tab!
This is however only available as x64
https://lmms.io/download/#linux
Linux: In Edit| Settings| Misc -Disable'Sync VST plugins to host playback'!!!

Rem2! backup before you reinstall!
Let us know the outcome :)
TDNE wrote:
Thanks for replying GPS. I should have mentioned I know of WIne's existence & that I switched to Linux to get away from Windows, as far away as possible & that includes avoiding Wine if I can. It feels too much like skulking in through the back door with tail between my legs. Even the acronym annoys me as the acronym self references to form the acronym.

Just so you know why I hate them so much.
I was one of those unfortunates who had Win 10 forced down their throats, I was using my laptop at the time, the screen went black & had the message that Win 10 would be installed in x sec's & there was nothing I could do to stop it. 2 hrs later - yes 2 effin hours - I had Win 10 & my laptop ran like a POS. I'd declined 'upgrading' notifications as when I did that from 8 to 8.1 my laptop was almost unusable for 2 weeks & having sorted that out I didn't want that to happen again. Then they took away the decline option so I closed the window with the little red cross. Unbeknownst to almost everyone microscum had reassigned this button as the accept option as well. $&+*?><$ little *+%$£>?<@'s.
It put up a real fight not to install Linux too but I won that one.

That said I'm not going to cut my nose off to spite my face. So just one question for synth 1 users: How good is it ?

I'm using Linux Light 3.4, kernel shows 4.4.0, compiled #-185 ubuntu SMP.

LMMS is 1.1.3
Microsoft tried this on me too, but I won.

At one time even used Linux to delete the windows 10 update files. (I was on windows 7 back then)

I am not a big fan of windows, but I do need it for some games that don't have a Linux version.
I am building a new pc and it will have windows 10 and Linux.
Linux as my main OS, windows for some games.

I am with Musicbear on this though, wine has nothing to do with Microsoft.

You don't have to use wine, but I would advice you to do it. There are allot of great vst, you can use in LMMS on Linux if you have wine installed.

Is you're pc hardware 32 or 64 bit ? If its 64 bit do as musicbear said.

The newer LMMS version is much better. :)
Well that's me told !

Looks like I do need to upgrade as I do get quite a few crashes. It's been a while since I last tried do anything on LMMS (as I wasn't getting on) but have been doing better since asking Q's on the forum.

As It's been a few yrs since I converted to linux I can't remember if I did it as 32 or 64bit. full kernel description reads:
Linux 4.4.0 - 157-generic (x86_64)
so 64bit?

edit: it is 64bit.

Thanks for replies, I'll do my best.
TDNE wrote:
So just one question for synth 1 users: How good is it ?
It's awesome!
My two pence worth,

Have a separate machine with Win10 only for your music and nothing else, use Linux machine for everything else.

With Synth1 however, There is an additional download of 16 thousand presets (It says 16 thousand but i dont think it is quite that) with some amazing already made sounds styles.

If you really want to avoid using windows native synths, then you can trawl through here and see if anything is of use to you,

http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?plug-ins=Analog
Incorruptable wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:54 am
My two pence worth,

Have a separate machine with Win10 only for your music and nothing else, use Linux machine for everything else.
You want him to run LMMS on windows just after he said goodbye to windows ?

Now I am confused.
TDNE wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:07 pm
I've come across synth 1 ref's several time on this forum but as a Linux user I'm excluded from using it. I've started playing with tripleoscilator but would like to have a broad GUI like i see on synth 1 that resembles a physical synth so I can see how I get on with that without buying one first.
I've been through the instrument list ( & there is some interesting stuff ) but not really like synth1 in layout. ZynAddSub is a little closer but I can guarantee it will crash the whole LMMS program pretty quickly as soon as start fiddling with parameters.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
There is amsynth, but I don't know how to use it in LMMS. ( it won't work through vestige, because that's for windows vst. )
https://amsynth.github.io/

It might be possible through Carla or you need a different daw like ardour.
Carla is in the newer LMMS version. I got stuck trying it , but it should be possible to load Amsynth trough Carla in LMMS.

Amsynth does not have a windows version, only Mac and Linux.

I don't think though amsynth is as good as Synth 1. Only Zynaddsubfx is, which has even more options then synth1, but is not easy to learn.

If you really only want to use Linux, you might wanna ask on this forum. But be prepared, you will have to do some learning about jack. If you want it easy like me, use lmms and some great windows vst.

Ardour can do things LMMS can't (yet) like record music, but it does not have a great midi editor like LMMS.

https://linuxmusicians.com/
There are more people there, who only want to use Linux. Some however use a daw on linux, through wine, that does not have a Linux version.