Synth 1 alternatives?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Sorry Incorruptible but no way am doing that, the second it got anywhere near the internet it would be off updating antivirus & stuff & I'd have do make do with the leftovers, another reason I moved to Linux. I'll certainly check out your link though - thanks for that.

Synth1 sounds enticing, I'm working on installing Wine & LMMS 1.2 to try it.

GPS - Amsynth also looks of interest, esp thanks for pointing out Ardour as I've just bought a K-station (not arrived yet) to see how I get on with some hardware & was wondering if LMMS could record (now I know it doesn't) so Ardour could well be a solution.

I'll keep you all posted, & thanks for the replies.
My offering was meant that you have an offline machine for your music.

The machine i make my music on is offline permanently, i have another machine with all my personal photos etc, also never online.

If it is never online, it can never update.

I found some pretty nice sounds on, 'Analog Galaxy', synth despite the poor reviews, i suppose it really depends on what your looking for that will dictate your positive or negative review.
I didn't get what meant 1st time, sorry about that. My thinking was if I wanted to add a plugin etc. & a Widows OS starved of updates, well I dread to think - crack addict in a snow factory springs to mind.

I'll have a look at analogue Galaxy too, getting quite a list !
Gps wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:22 am
Incorruptable wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:54 am
My two pence worth,

Have a separate machine with Win10 only for your music and nothing else, use Linux machine for everything else.
You want him to run LMMS on windows just after he said goodbye to windows ?

Now I am confused.
I was only saying, if the reason he dislikes using windows so much (and i agree with him bythe way) is the no opt out updates, then you can always run a machine with windows offline, windows is actually a great system, if you never go online with it, i still run a machine with Vista that never goes online and its a great OS.
Incorruptable wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:34 pm
Vista that never goes online and its a great OS.
Sorry, here i simply have to NO!
XP was an absolute splendid OS!
XP-sp3 also runs LMMS 1.2 without any issues at all!

But...........
...Vista
:evil: -> :yuck:

I simply cant count the issues i had with Vista!
Absolutely NON of my programming tools would run, even had issues with my OWN fr*king programs!
I reverted to XP. Short and bluntly -Ditch the awful thing, and i consider Vista as one of MS greatest failures ..ever!
I have never met anyone that liked Vista, and frankly.. I right out detested that :yuck: -c***
Seems I've touched a nerve here, woops.

As for Windows being a great OS if kept away from the internet, I feel that's rather like saying the car you own is brilliant if you never take it out the garage or drive in the wet.

Personally I've too many bad experiences with various versions, & 8, 8.1 & 10 made anything before look appealing. (presumably 9 was so sh*t it was never released).

I had to work a bit to install any Linux OS but LLight has such a good forum & support I got there & not regretted a second. Does all I want, I update when I want & is very stable with how I use it and runs so much faster than anything else I've used. It's a bit more hassle to add new programs but once done that's it.
Incorruptable wrote:
Gps wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:22 am
Incorruptable wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:54 am
My two pence worth,

Have a separate machine with Win10 only for your music and nothing else, use Linux machine for everything else.
You want him to run LMMS on windows just after he said goodbye to windows ?

Now I am confused.
I was only saying, if the reason he dislikes using windows so much (and i agree with him bythe way) is the no opt out updates, then you can always run a machine with windows offline, windows is actually a great system, if you never go online with it, i still run a machine with Vista that never goes online and its a great OS.
That is actual a nice idea, and turn off all automatic updates of all programs. :)

Two weeks back I installed win 10, and instantly remembered why I went to Linux.

It asked me if I had internet so I said no. Later during install it asked me again.
Windows is made by people who want to annoy their users. :P

Had to fill in 3 security questions for when I forget my password.
So people who forget their password will remember 3 security questions ?
Who comes up with that nonsense ?

On Linux I have about every day once a pop up, that there are updates.
If I ignore the pop up, it just goes away. :)
TDNE wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:31 pm
Sorry Incorruptible but no way am doing that, the second it got anywhere near the internet it would be off updating antivirus & stuff & I'd have do make do with the leftovers, another reason I moved to Linux. I'll certainly check out your link though - thanks for that.

Synth1 sounds enticing, I'm working on installing Wine & LMMS 1.2 to try it.

GPS - Amsynth also looks of interest, esp thanks for pointing out Ardour as I've just bought a K-station (not arrived yet) to see how I get on with some hardware & was wondering if LMMS could record (now I know it doesn't) so Ardour could well be a solution.

I'll keep you all posted, & thanks for the replies.
You can record something with audacity, then import it in LMMS through the audio file processor.
With the audio file processor, I sometimes add vocal samples to my tracks. :)

Also lmms can record midi data from a midi keyboard. So you can record the midi notes from what you play life on a midi keyboard.

I have this one.
https://m-audio.com/products/view/keystation-mini-32
musikbear wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:09 pm
Incorruptable wrote:
Vista that never goes online and its a great OS.
Sorry, here i simply have to NO!
XP was an absolute splendid OS!
XP-sp3 also runs LMMS 1.2 without any issues at all!

But...........
...Vista
:evil: -> :yuck:

I simply cant count the issues i had with Vista!
Absolutely NON of my programming tools would run, even had issues with my OWN fr*king programs!
I reverted to XP. Short and bluntly -Ditch the awful thing, and i consider Vista as one of MS greatest failures ..ever!
I have never met anyone that liked Vista, and frankly.. I right out detested that :yuck: -c***
Cool the jets musikbear.....cool the jets :)

I will have to respectfully disagree, i also have two laptops that remain on XP, Vista is basically the same as XP just looking slicker, i have also encountered issues with some software not wanting to run, but you usually can fix it with a little digging, personally i really like Vista.
by TDNE » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:26 pm wrote: As for Windows being a great OS if kept away from the internet, I feel that's rather like saying the car you own is brilliant if you never take it out the garage or drive in the wet.
Again, i will have to respectfully disagree, what you are proposing is that an OS is nothing if you cant go on to the internet with it, i have very little i need on the internet really, if i wasn't making music i most likely wouldn't be on this internet at all bar video game related stuff (Emulators and PlayStation jailbreaking etc), its music and games that have me here, And i have hundreds hours of work on windows OS offline.
You can record something with audacity, then import it in LMMS through the audio file processor.
With the audio file processor, I sometimes add vocal samples to my tracks. :)

Also lmms can record midi data from a midi keyboard. So you can record the midi notes from what you play life on a midi keyboard.

I have this one.
That sounds a good idea I already have audacity installed. I also discovered my LL distro comes with Ardour4 so I've installed that. I've got so many options now I'm not sure where to start. I've also installed WINE but can't find it anywhere in the menu but as I don't know how it's supposed to work I don't know if that's gone wrong. It defo shows in my system manager. I'll do some digging. A least (with your help here on the forum) I'm getting some where now :)

K-station arrived this morning & looks in order, been through all the presets & love the sound of this thing already. I watched a bunch of Ytube stuff before deciding on it so know it can do whole bunch more than that. :D I'm pretty sure having it will help use LMMS etc too.