lmms samples for commercial use

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
i am an android developer and like to create music for my app youtube video commercial using lmms.
are the samples provided by defualt when installing lmms free for commertial use?
and what samples are free? i cant really understand there licenses

i know this has been answered before but i am still confused by this.
catCoder wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:32 pm
are the samples provided by defualt when installing lmms free for commertial use?
For use, yes
The samples are offered under is GPL2. GPL2 is a source license.
You can do whatever you want with derivative works, just don't relicense anything from lmms samples library as your own!

Any and All relicensing is illegal!

Note, bundled project files aren't C00 cleared either. If you have a question about a particular track, let a developer know and we'll do our best to get you in contact with the original artist.
musikbear wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:51 pm
For use, yes
The samples are offered under is GPL2. GPL2 is a source license.
You can do whatever you want with derivative works, just don't relicense anything from lmms samples library as your own!
what does it means 'for use yes' can i use the samples in my commercial and it will be legal?
musikbear wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:51 pm
Any and All relicensing is illegal!

Note, bundled project files aren't C00 cleared either. If you have a question about a particular track, let a developer know and we'll do our best to get you in contact with the original artist.
does that means that i can use it to create the music for my commercial but cant sell the samples by themselves?
Basically, if you intend to use the GPL'd LMMS samples in your own programs and then have people PAY you for your programs, then no, you can't use them. Anything you create using GPL software must also be GPL (or even more permissive - apache, MIT, BSD licenses) software. And you have to make the source-code to your GPL-containing program available (open-source). So no using GPL software in proprietary programs.

IANAL - so this is my layman's understanding. Someone correct me if they know better.
Failte200 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:23 pm
Basically, if you intend to use the GPL'd LMMS samples in your own programs and then have people PAY you for your programs, then no, you can't use them. Anything you create using GPL software must also be GPL (or even more permissive - apache, MIT, BSD licenses) software. And you have to make the source-code to your GPL-containing program available (open-source). So no using GPL software in proprietary programs.

IANAL - so this is my layman's understanding. Someone correct me if they know better.
just to be clear my app is ad based
and i do not use the samples in my app itself i use it to create the video for the commercial in googly play(i do not earn form the commercial being watched i earn from the app inside adds)
so am i allowed to use the samples to create the commercial video?
Not only do you need a lawyer, but an "entertainment" lawyer - I hear it's a whole special field. Google is your friend, although you might get lucky and get a response from a Pro LMMS user here who sells their work. But that ain't me. Seems like there must be some kind of leeway for just using a SAMPLE, for god's sake. It's not like you're copying an actual "work of art". That'd be like trademarking the word ""windows". Bad example. Or "Cat". No, wait...
Failte200 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:29 am
Not only do you need a lawyer, but an "entertainment" lawyer - I hear it's a whole special field. Google is your friend, although you might get lucky and get a response from a Pro LMMS user here who sells their work. But that ain't me. Seems like there must be some kind of leeway for just using a SAMPLE, for god's sake. It's not like you're copying an actual "work of art". That'd be like trademarking the word ""windows". Bad example. Or "Cat". No, wait...
thank you for answering
as i am new in my field i think i will stick with just using the default instruments(triple oscillator, etc...) and my own samples(my own recordings) to create the music.
as long as this is Ok right?
... hard to believe no one else has chimed in...

I seem to recall hearing (but I'd at least google before actually doing it) that you can "sample" anything you want to - including other people's copyrighted works - as long as the sample doesn't last more a certain amount of time. This might mean that "samples" are in effect Public Domain, even if the work that uses them (like LMMS, or your song) is licensed.

It's like how Google can grab just the beginning of a news article no problem, as long as they don't copy too much.

Also, it's quite common to just ignore copyrights in some situations. All the websites that post lyrics are technically violating the artist's copyright... but no one seems to really care. And how else are we supposed to know that Jimi Hendrix ISN'T singing "'Scuze me, while I kiss this guy!"
Failte200 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:37 am
... hard to believe no one else has chimed in...
I repeat:
Any and all use of MUSIC made ORIGINALLY (Not remix etc) by YOU, with LMMS -is legal.
No other use is legal!
You can make music, using the samples that are included in lmms, and sell your music track etc.

You can also make a game sound track, put it in your game, or use the track you made, in your game commercial with no worries etc.