How to start using LMMS?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hey fellas!

I want to start making music in LMMS. I've previously made a lot of songs in FL studio.

Now that I switched to Linux I am also switching to LMMS.

I've been using the vital vst and some other free vst plugins for making music. (Actually, My cpu is dying just by loading external vst's . So I want to use the provided stock instruments)

And ofcourse I use Cymatics sample packs.... And some random online/IRL sounds as my sample.

I want to use the ZynAddSubFx (I just need good understanding of that).

And I am into Anime(eve JJK1)/Japanese(natori,Vaundy) type music lately. Or some sort of like.... Maneskin(beggin') type beat.

So, if some of you guys made it before or if you know some useful free vst's that'll be really really useful.

Does anybody know how to save the LMMS layout? Like everytime I open it I want to use the GUI layout that I actually prefer to use. (It's awesome that it is placeable anywhere on the screen).

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
ivacskota wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:10 am
Hey fellas
Hi, Welcome to the Forum ivacskota !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
My cpu is dying just by loading external vst's .
That is not so normally.
Unless you have a very old computer, you can run +30 VST2 in lmms, and for perhaps the best VST2 of all Synth1, you can run ~50 instances
Vital or LABS are somewhat more demanding, but you should be able to run a handful
I want to use the ZynAddSubFx (I just need good understanding of that).
ZynAddSubFx (zasfx) is complicated, but also fantastic!
On my youTube i have a tutorial playlist for zasfx -Link in signature.
know some useful free vst's that'll be really really useful.
I always recommend Synt1
Does anybody know how to save the LMMS layout?

Yes. After you have made a selection of windows and arranged them like you prefer, added effects oa even notes, you can save that setup as your default-template
LMMS will open in that setup every time you start a new project
https://docs.lmms.io/user-manual/3-navigating-lmms/3.3
I use LMMS since January 2023 on Linux and I'm very happy with the results, without using any external VST plugin or Sample Pack. External VST plugins are rare to find, in Linux case, so I learn to work without External plugins or External instruments, in this way I keep LMMS 100% compatible and usable in LMMS.
I would say that switching to Linux and using stock instruments to save on CPU load sounds like a smart move.
For ZynAddSubFX, getting a good grasp of its features will definitely enhance your music-making experience.
As for Anime/Japanese-style music, ZynAddSubFX can be a powerful tool. Additionally, consider exploring Helm, Dexed, and TAL-NoiseMaker as useful free VST plugins.
Regarding LMMS layout, you can customize it to your liking and save it by going to "View" > "Save GUI Layout". This way, your preferred layout will load every time you open LMMS.