Why lmms?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
It's a simple question, why chose lmms as your first option? Why not just get the latest albelton from some shady website or try cracked version of fl studio and then later on pay and use the legal version once you start making money? I mean nobody will notice in your tracks that you've used an illegal copy of the software.

Personally, I started off with lmms back when I used to use the family PC so I couldn't download anything illegal, my parents wouldn't allow me, and now three (closer to four) years in I'm used to lmms, although I hate the inconvenience of having to use audacity for all the vocal tracks and tempo changes, it's still easier than learning how to use a new DAW and secondly because pirating software is kind of an insult to the people who made it, by not giving them what they deserve for making it.

I'm just intrested to see why people are choosing LMMS over pirated software especially considering that the number of people using LMMS has almost skyrocketed in the last year or so.
maskeo wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:02 pm
why people are choosing LMMS over pirated software
And that answers that

-However..
The success of LMMS has resulted in a quite unexpected development.
Today you can get free versions of most of the commercial DAW, even ProTools now have a free version.
In my mind i believe that the 'big ones' has felt LMMS' influence on the marked, and that has caused them to rethink strategies. Most of the free-versions has limitations, but cakewalk has optioned for pay-what-you-like
Are there any major artists using LMMS?
From what I last noticed, even cubician does not use LMMS nowadays.
I am on Linux, most Daw we know do not have a Linux version.

I ones tried Ardour, but did not like it much.

For now I am not limited by LMMS. This might come one day.

The only thing right now I do miss, is support for Linux vst, but through Carla this should be possible already.
Then I hope we see support for the newer calf plugins soon and automation of all of zynaddsubfx.
@gps why linux? why not windows?
Back in 2012 I heard some trance techno songs, and immediately decided to make some tunes, because I like game music too. I heard about Garageband, FL Studio, cubase and was going to check them out, but then I discovered lmms, and realised it was free like blender. So I downloaded it and joined the forum.

When I realised, I could make all sorts of music in lmms like in Garageband, FL Studio etc, I was like,......ta heck with them. Lol!

Owallgren, musikbear, lazerblade and orpheon 7, helped me understand certain things in lmms, when I was a newbie.

Another thing I noticed, is that lmms' triple oscillator, is actually better than the one in FL studio. And makes better basses and trance basses too. I think slipstick mentioned this as well.

And taking the long route, by learning to make your own sounds, is sometimes tiring and alot of fun too, but more rewarding, than using pre built fl studio presets. Well at least for me that is. :D
maskeo wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:03 am
@gps why linux? why not windows?
You're asking this on a site of a program, called Linux Multi Media Studio ? :P

But the answer you're question.

I don't like windows. Its annoying, takes for ever to update, especially compared to Linux.

Often needs to reboot because of updates, It installs all kind of stuff I am not asking for.
Don't turn off you're computer windows is updating. :x

Linux uses much less resources.

Linux is open-source.
Gps wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:39 pm

But the answer you're question.

I don't like windows. Its annoying, takes for ever to update, especially compared to Linux.

Often needs to reboot because of updates, It installs all kind of stuff I am not asking for.
Don't turn off you're computer windows is updating. :x
This. So true. :P
And sometimes installing win updates, makes your pc slower.
And installing a win service pack.......my suggestion, buy a good lunch, buy a donut and a nice cup of coffee/cocoa in a coffee shop, then later buy dinner, then come back a few hours later to use your pc. :P
brandystarbrite wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:50 pm
Another thing I noticed, is that lmms' triple oscillator, is actually better than the one in FL studio. And makes better basses and trance basses too. I think slipstick mentioned this as well.
gotta agree triple oscillator is actually really good. In recent days I've been able to make a size-able library of really good sounds, Its amazing how you can use triple oscillator to make some really good plucks and some unique leads. It's crazy how many serum leads and pads can be made in triple oscillator with some familiarity.
brandystarbrite wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:50 pm
And taking the long route, by learning to make your own sounds, is sometimes tiring and a lot of fun too, but more rewarding, than using pre built fl studio presets. Well at least for me that is. :D
Honestly, it's getting so difficult to find your "unique" sound and if using LMMS can help, Hell Yeah!
Gps wrote:
You're asking this on a site of a program, called Linux Multi Media Studio ? :P
:mrgreen:
Gps wrote: But the answer you're question.

ah, I thought you had a coding background. :P
Not a coder. :)

I am an experienced computer users though.

In the begining of lets call it pc's, there was no Windows.

There was something called DOS, which meant to keep it simple, you needed to type commands to run a program.

Switching to Linux is then very easy, although these days, typing commands on Linux is not something that happens allot.

Using Linux is these days with most distro's quite simple. You still are using a mouse and click.

There are some differences, there is no C:\ and D:\ on Linux, there is SDA and SDB.

A windows path looks like this:
C:\ windows\users\downloads.

On Linux this will be

/home/username/downloads.

If you can install windows on a new pc, you know enough to install Linux too, after some reading, about you're options.
You could off course wipe windows of you're pc and install Linux, but especially if you're new to Linux there are better ways.
Install Linux besides Windows. Then you have a familiar os to fall back too when in trouble.