Why lmms?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Gps wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:49 am
I am on Linux, most Daw we know do not have a Linux version.

I ones tried Ardour, but did not like it much.

For now I am not limited by LMMS. This might come one day.
I put Ubuntu Studio on my old laptop. The battery is shot, so I keep it plugged in and use it like a desktop, extending the display to my TV.

It seems there is not an up to date binary package version of LMMS provided, and I don't feel like building from source. (I think it's version 1.1?)

I prefer composing in LMMS on my Windows computer, which has LMMS 1.2, which has more functionality and looks more polished. Sometimes I'll use LMMS on the Linux machine for simple things, but I have trouble getting my MIDI controller to work with it. It's almost always plug-and-play when I'm running Windows.

However, I prefer Ardour for mixing. I have to admit that there are some things the manual has not helped me with, but learning the keyboard shortcuts has made the interface less intimidating for me. I actually made a donation so I could download Ardour for Windows, but I prefer Ardour on Linux because of the Calf plugins. The versions that have been ported to LMMS on Windows just give you the knobs, no visual feedback.
In a similar vein, the meters in the LMMS mixer show green, yellow and red. There's no numbered scale.
On ubuntu you should be able to use the appimage file, from the Linux download page.

You will get latest version, without compiling it you're self.
First off, Welcome to the Forum violindoug !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
violindoug wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:43 am
I put Ubuntu Studio on my old laptop.
Here you should get this:
https://lmms.io/download#linux
REad instruction on page!
Calf plugins ported to LMMS on Windows just give you the knobs, no visual feedback.
True. The way they are bulid makes it impossible
In a similar vein, the meters in the LMMS mixer show green, yellow and red. There's no numbered scale.
Do you need numbers? Please explain why, Your input can help improve the software
Because is free and more stable in loading some VSTi than commercial products. Lightweight, working fine, coming with all needed to start basic producing. Open source and developed by community. Manual is for older version but very well written and not too many pages to read. I really like this program. I donated to Ardour to have it on windows, and it was a waste, not working at all. LMMS is completley compatibile and working great. So the winner is clear :)
musikbear wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:32 pm

Calf plugins ported to LMMS on Windows just give you the knobs, no visual feedback.
True. The way they are bulid makes it impossible
There is no visual feedback on Linux either.

On Linux there might be a workaround by installing carla, and use the newer calfplugin from there.

I ones saw Carla for windows, but I have no idea what it can do.
I know there are some limitations because there is no windows version of some stuff I can use on Linux.

Amsynth would be a nice example, there is no Windows version, installing carla does not solve this.

Ubuntu studio should have carla already installed or it should be easy to install.

Then you want to download the calf plugins, the lv2 version, if I recall right.

https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/projects
Add LV2 support :)
It will come one day.

https://kx.studio/Applications:Carla#Download
Gps wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:31 pm
There is no visual feedback on Linux either.
Oup.. i thought there was on all CALF plugins
The CALFs looks very impressive on their homepage
Yes they look awesome, I remember asking around, to find out LMMS has an older version of the calf plugins, not lv2.
That older format does not support a gui, if I recall right.

This and the ability to record audio, is why some people prefere Ardour on Linux.
( but Ardour does not have a windows version )

Recording music is for me not relevant, the only thing I record is midi which LMMS can do.

The lv2 support I do miss, a gui is with some plugins damn handy, side chaining to name one I can think off.

I think this is taking a long time, because all those plug-ins need to be ported to windows.
Or compiled for windows.
If the LMMS devs only had to work with Linux, I think we would have had lv2 support much sooner.

https://www.ladspa.org/

Linux Audio Developer's Simple Plugin API (LADSPA)

We can safely bet those don't have a windows version.
Still in LMMS on windows they are there. :)

I have looked at Ardour, I like the LMMS Gui much more. and last time I checked Ardour was not free any more.

I just checked again and it's not free any more.
Gps wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:16 pm
If the LMMS devs only had to work with Linux, I think we would have had lv2 support much sooner.
Absolutely! A three headed development is a d..r..a..g.. :| .But that descission was made/ taken/ ..so
I am not criticising :)

The advantage is that we can share projects, cross platform.

And I agree with the idea of software being cross platform.

Just today read something, the anti cheat software of some E.A games, sees some files as modified system files when you run it on Linux through wine, and so you get banned for cheating. :x

The part annoying me most, you buy a game, then can't run it on the OS you want?

Cross platform software ftw :)
Gps wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:38 am
the anti cheat software of some E.A games, sees some files as modified system files when you run it on Linux through wine, and so you get banned for cheating.
Files in LMMS?? ..or just 'some' files
If its just 'some files' then OH YES! That issue is not uncommon at all

(this topic is drifting away from marring........