Need Suggestions on How to Proceed

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Dear MusicBear, thanks for your previous help. I think you are a Natural Born Teacher.
Greetings again from Florida. I do proceed slowly but I do learn.
I have revised my plans but I need your suggestions.
I will refresh your memory.
I have Linux Mint. I have Audacity and Wine on my Laptop.
My New plans are to Sing a Public Domain Melody, using My words that I wrote and Copyrighted. I might not use any musical instruments, maybe one or two sound effects.
I want to record this and make a Lyric video for YouTube. I don't need info on making the video.
I read somewhere on one of the Forums about Voice Enhancing Software. I think that might help.
I do not know what I need to sing into the computer. A microphone ?
Can you suggest any voice enhancing Software for Linux ?
Can you tell me what specifically I would use LMMS for and what I would use Audacity for.
Again, I want to record myself singing words to a public domain melody, possibly Without any musical instruments, just maybe a sound effect. But also using any Voice Enhancement Software to improve my voice.
Thank You for your time and effort.
To record anything other then midi input, you need audacity.

LMMS can "only" record midi input.

So if you want to record your singing you use audacity.

Then in lmms you import that file through the audio file processor.
Then in the piano roll you need to draw a note, for as long as your singing is.

Yes you need a mike, or maybe a headset. ( A good mike wont be cheap )

I do not know any voice enhance software for Linux.
Have you tried googling it ?

There are plugins for audacity.

What LMMS does have are some plugins like saturators, and compressors, but nothing voice specific as far as I know..
Hello from France!

I recommand using ardour for this purposes as it is non destructive (ie you can fallback on previous records not like audacity) and provide some voice enhance plugins that are linux native(no need to wine or carla things), it also permits video editing.

BUT it may be a long learning curve to get it 8-) as this is a pro recording soft as cubase or protools.

please pardon my english as i m a french guy ;)
Sahaathyva wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:10 am
Hello from France!

I recommand using ardour for this purposes as it is non destructive (ie you can fallback on previous records not like audacity) and provide some voice enhance plugins that are linux native(no need to wine or carla things), it also permits video editing.

BUT it may be a long learning curve to get it 8-) as this is a pro recording soft as cubase or protools.

please pardon my english as i m a french guy ;)
If you want to use (windows) VST in ardour, you still need wine, same as with LMMS.

LMMS does not need wine to run, it only use wine for Vestige, so it can load vst. ( .dll files on Linux)

You can also use Carla in Ardour.

It's true Ardour can record audio, and LMMS can't, but that has nothing to do with wine nor Carla. :)

The latest versions of Ardour are not free.

Ardour does support LV2 plugins, wich is work in progress for LMMS.
akak wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:16 pm
I do not know what I need to sing into the computer. A microphone ?
Yes! and one with high performance, and de-essing -Even though LMMS has a de-essing plugin, putting a material infront of the microphone, is also used with good results
I can see its called a 'pop-filter' :)
Can you suggest any voice enhancing Software for Linux ?
Unfortunately i dont know a lot about linux-plugins. Gps is much better person to ask !
He already have told you great info!
With WINE you can use any autotune windows plugin.
Can you tell me what specifically I would use LMMS for and what I would use Audacity for.
As you already been told -All recording in audacity, mixing and sound-effects in LMMS

Use Equalizer to enhance your voice, and maby autotune, but it can sound 'weird' -like Cher's Do you believe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZXRV4MezEw
There is good autotune in lonix native format
@Gps : I decided to use only linux native plugins now, so far bye bye wine carla and other things like that. I rather prefer making music than setup things to work, and so far I enjoy native linux lv2 plugs.

I dont have to carry about wich version of wine or bla bla bla ;)

In my mind running windows softs under linux is a nonsense now, it is a prowess to be able to, but to me the goal is tu use linux only softs.
Sahaathyva wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:16 pm
There is good autotune in lonix native format
@Gps : I decided to use only linux native plugins now, so far bye bye wine carla and other things like that. I rather prefer making music than setup things to work, and so far I enjoy native linux lv2 plugs.

I dont have to carry about wich version of wine or bla bla bla ;)

In my mind running windows softs under linux is a nonsense now, it is a prowess to be able to, but to me the goal is tu use linux only softs.
Wine can be a pain in the butt, this forum proofs it.
I never had issues with wine on opensuse though, and I don't get why there are so many issues with other distro's.
On suse I install wine, and then the first time I use LMMS, I can see wine doing some setup work, and it just works.

Nothing wrong with only using Linux though. :)
Neither did I on ubuntu studio,

But in my mind its safest for future to use only native linux + it s a good way to spread and share linux onmy sound, promotes much in my mind.

As is mainly use ardour now I dont post here but you can listen on my soundcloud what can be achieved with linux only