Collaborations?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
caLRo wrote:Thanks, glad you like it!

One thing to note is that we are talking about online (long-distance) collaborations here, and there are some obvious differences between online and local collaborations. For example, it's much easier to communicate with those who are in your physical presence, and with the complicated time-zones everywhere you would wish the world was flat. :p
I've tried to do several collaborative projects with my friend who originally introduced me to LMMS. I actually go to his house with my laptop and we work on stuff together, but it's actually super difficult for us...

We have really different composition styles, so it's pretty slow going in terms of explaining ideas to each other. We're both pretty slow at making music anyways, so maybe that's our problem :/ . If only we were "creative types" :lol: .

I'd love to collab with someone on LMMS, but I'm too busy right now to really focus on a project. Maybe in the future, but for now, I'm flyin' solo.
caLRo wrote:One thing to note is that we are talking about online (long-distance) collaborations here, and there are some obvious differences between online and local collaborations. For example, it's much easier to communicate with those who are in your physical presence, and with the complicated time-zones everywhere you would wish the world was flat. :p
:O You mean it's not?! ;)
I don't doubt collaborations can work, but they are very hard considering the human species lack of persistence and deliberation.
Has anyone tried blend.io or a similar online music collaboration website? Would they be useful for LMMS collaborations?
I'm up for a collab too, if anyone wants to :P
caLRo wrote:Has anyone tried blend.io or a similar online music collaboration website? Would they be useful for LMMS collaborations?
I haven't tried Blend yet, but it says that it doesn't support LMMS so I'm not sure...
MattmatiX wrote:
caLRo wrote:Has anyone tried blend.io or a similar online music collaboration website? Would they be useful for LMMS collaborations?
I haven't tried Blend yet, but it says that it doesn't support LMMS so I'm not sure...
Looks like blend.io is intended for commercial DAWs. Online collaboration tools for LMMS are virtually non-existent. The closest thing would be the LMMS Sharing Platform, but there's no option to share projects privately with a select group of people. That's just too bad. Collabs via email is the next best thing I guess.
There are not that many collaborations here, which is a shame. I would like to encourage everyone to do some.

They can be difficult and time consuming, but in my opinion they are well worth it. You may also learn a thing or two from your collaborator.

As a stepping stone towards full-on collaboration projects in the future, I am proposing for now to do short and simple collaborations (up to 2 minutes), with the following in mind:

- No external plugins, soundfonts, samples
- Share collaboration files through email or a file-sharing (cloud) service
- Collaborate with 1 other person at a time

The fact that we all use the same DAW makes it ideal for collaborations. LMMS comes with more than enough tools to produce good tracks. It really saves a whole deal of trouble (missing files, incompatible plugins, etc.) if you stick with the native tools of LMMS. Mastering and final editing may have to take place in another software.

Email is preferred because you can both share files and communicate at the same time. If both of you are in the same time-zone or are able to schedule collaboration sessions, instant message may be even better.

To keep things simple and organised, focus on one collaboraton at a time. It's better to have few finished collaborations than many unfinished ones.

If you have finished a collaboration, post it here. I would love to hear what you people can make. :)
caLRo wrote:If you have finished a collaboration, post it here. I would love to hear what you people can make. :)
I made collabs with my mates at Avelocity (https://soundcloud.com/avelocity/tracks).

I really have to say that collaborating with them really helped me drastically improve my skills, especially because I was just starting out when we started making tunes together.

If someone is interested on how we collaborated: We have a skype chat where we all hang out, and also we have a shared dropbox folder with all the projects in it, so anyone can just hop on the chat and say that he is working on a specific project, and when he is done and saves it, its automatically synced to all of our computers :)
^But before we had the shared dropbox, we just passed the mmpz between each other on Skype.