Cheap (?) computer to run LMMS and Linux version to run it

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
I run several Apple computers running MacOS. Unfortunately LMMS isn't always fully compatible with Apple systems - which is a shame - not fully cross platform.

I know from trying similar software on my hardware that generally a high performance machine helps. For example, I have machines which don't run Final Cut Pro X really well - real time rendering doesn't always work, and even on an i7 machine, running a DAW with (say) 7 or more different synth tracks (I mean with different synthesisers ...) can cause temporaray lock ups as significant cpu power is sometimes needed.The last one we had was a small netbook - an Asus EE - which had very limited use, and hardly any processing capabilitieis.

I wonder if it's now worth buying a cheap (ish) machine specifically to run Linux to support software such as LMMS. If so, what would others recommend? What is the cheapest machine one can reasonably expect to get LMMS working on?
What is your budget ?

Ryzen 5 with 8 gig ram should be more then enough.
Rx 570.

Its what I have and for LMMS its kinda over powered.

Might be cheaper to go for a cpu with integrated graphics, if you using the pc just for LMMS.

Any hardware not to old, should be more then enough.

Maybe find somebody who is willing to trade a pc for one of your mac?

Look for refurbished pc ?
My LMMS is exactly fine at Intel i5 10th gen, four cores, 3.7GB RAM usable on 4 GHz. When I play my song with 3 heavy ZynAddSubFx arps stacked on 3 notes, 2 Synth1, 1 TForce Alpha, and a bunch of 3rd party VST FX, it decreases to 3.80 GHz and the utilization is at 60%. It runs on Windows 10 but it will be like,,,
A LOT faster if it is on Linux. It might be a lot. And I really bought this Acer laptop on my birthday that's the price of my parents' net salary on 1 month just to run this properly on Bloat-dows OS

If you build a pc yourself you might want to search for affordable computer parts but are efficient when it works

if you consider very budget like... buying cheap computers that have outdated specs but are still untouched, U might consider the processing speed. I made songs on a computer with Intel Core Duo and they work fine, but I need to use less VST's. but is absolutely bad on a Celeron, Intel really made this from bamboo sticks. You might already know this but it needs a very lightweight distro with desktop env. lighter than KDE or a potato version of Windows as OS's
I think i3 or a newer Pentium is a minimum

As Gps said, might depend on your budget... But don't get anything related to or with Celeron. :lol:
dave2002-lmms wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:00 am
What is the cheapest machine one can reasonably expect to get LMMS working on?
Minimum specs for LMMS:
CPU: 1.5 GHz x86, x86_64, or ARM-based CPU with 2 cores
RAM: 1 GB
Available Storage Space: 100 GB

LMMS may run on systems that do not meet these requirements, but its performance or stability is not guaranteed.

Recommended System Requirements
CPU: 2 GHz x86, x86_64, or ARM-based CPU with 4 cores
RAM: 4 GB
Available Storage Space: 512 GB
musikbear wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:01 pm
dave2002-lmms wrote:
Minimum specs for LMMS:
Years since I ran any Mac on Lion.

LMMS may run on systems that do not meet these requirements, but its performance or stability is not guaranteed.

I can probably find a spare machine to run on MacOS X, but I thought that LMMS wasn't so well supported for MacOS X - and there could be significant limitations. I do have a version running on Catalina, but I thought I needed a different set up if I want to have access to a full range of virtual instruments.

I have the impression that LMMS still works better on Linux - in which case I was thinking of a machine perhaps £200 new, or else look on Gumtree or Freecycle. If I wanted a tower machine I could probably pick up an older one for peanuts.
dave2002-lmms wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:44 pm
I have the impression that LMMS still works better on Linux
I would say simplest on windows
SDL and most VST are functional
Fully agreed, windows is better
dave2002-lmms wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:44 pm
musikbear wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:01 pm
dave2002-lmms wrote:
Minimum specs for LMMS:
Years since I ran any Mac on Lion.

I can probably find a spare machine to run on MacOS X, but I thought that LMMS wasn't so well supported for MacOS X - and there could be significant limitations. I do have a version running on Catalina, but I thought I needed a different set up if I want to have access to a full range of virtual instruments.

I have the impression that LMMS still works better on Linux - in which case I was thinking of a machine perhaps £200 new, or else look on Gumtree or Freecycle. If I wanted a tower machine I could probably pick up an older one for peanuts.
The problem as far as I understand it, on Linux its relative easy to use vst with wine.
On mac os using vst in lmms is not simple or cant be done.
There does not seem to be wine for mac os.
dvonrobt wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:33 pm
Then why do most internet servers and supercomputers run on Linux?
If you google something you are searching on a Linux computer. ;)
Only at the desktops at home windows is used the most.

As musicbear said it might be easier to run LMMS on windows. (because you don't need wine for vst)

But lets not start a Linux vs Windows flame war, because that is not helping the topic starter. :)

I do remember an mac os user, who compiled wine for mac os so he could use vestige in lmms on a mac.
Compiling stuff like this though, is for most users way to complicated.
dvonrobt wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:33 pm
Yeah, of course windows is better. But you can get full taste if you use Windows 10. This one is awesome.