Headphones vs Speakers

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
My very first headphones were Sennheiser. I remember standing in a stereo shop and being blown away at how the phones sounded like a full room. And this was way back... probably the mid to late 1970s. (showing my age here...).

I still think you can compensate somewhat 'for too much bass' 'too much treble' or 'too much midrange.' I heard that some record producer actually produced songs even tho he was near deaf. He used lots of meters to get it right. And maybe lots of insight and knowledge... :D
Since I'm new to LMMS I haven't really checked out everything it has to offer. But I find these two plugs helpful (in case you haven't seen them):

https://www.voxengo.com/product/span/

http://reaper.fm/reaplugs/ (ReaEQ and just now learning how to do ReaXcomp without presets... it's good too).
omg a daw that supports wine, :)

I had already heard of the first plugin :)
Yikes, I was assuming you were on Windows. But Reaper does work with Ubuntu / Wine. However, It's not very good that way, to be honest. I have only used it to record sound (podcasts) because the Windows 10 update did a number on my external mic input.

The precision and clarity of some of those Reaplugs are worth looking into. They also have a "js" section with a lot of very light plugins too.... nice chorus, tremolo, limiters, and so on. I've used them on LMMS.

Right now I'm comparing (and learning about) the LMMS plugs vs. the Reaper plugs and just using whatever combo works best with a given project. 🙂
Clarification - the full Reaper DAW isn't so great on Linux but the free plugins have worked fine in LMMS (with Wine) for me.🍷🏺🍷
I have not tried reaper myself, but yes I am on Linux, openSUSE tumbleweed to be specific.

I saw they claim to support Linux, I have no idea if it needs wine for that. (I hope not)

About Linux.
Linux is only a kernel. (no desktop)
All Linux you read about like Arch, Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, openSUSE (and allot more) use this kernel.
The Difference between them is mostly about the desktop (software) they use on top of this kernel.

Bitwig still has to learn a bit about this. They have a download link for Linux, but offer a .deb file.
My Linux does not do .deb. lol

Reaper seems to have done this better. They offer a tar file for download for Linux. From this file you can run reaper even without installing it.
Just like the appimage file, LMMS offers for Linux.

As I said though, I have not tried either one, but was curious about their Linux support.
Right. So Reaper runs on Linux sans Wine (I have only tried Ubuntu distros... Lubuntu, Bodhi, etc.) but not nearly as elegantly as it does on Windows. Reaper on Windows is very stable and if it had things like ADSR, stacking, arps, and some decent onboard instruments, I would probably not change. But Reaper is mostly a solid backbone with some effects. No real onboard VSTi to speak of. Any good VST or VST3 sounds must come from without = hassle.

With Wine, the Reaper plugins, Reaplugs - which you can download gratis without the Reaper DAW - work in LMMS and Linux (again.. I tried Ubuntu). I find some of them useful. I am not 100% sure but I don't think Reaplugs work in Linux without Wine. (I'm currently in a Windows setup..).

You can try Reaper with no restrictions for I think 30 days. After that, they say you need to buy it but it keeps working unrestricted. Some users at the forum admitted to finally buying it to get rid of their guilt for continuing to use it after 30 days.

I bought a license that expired but I can still use that version (guilt-free) for as long as I live! 😆
If we compare headphones and speakers of same class and price, headphones are more accurate, but speakers are less exhausting for ears and are more interesting in lower frequency range, especially sub. Headphones just can't fill your room with bass, you know. But to use bassy speakers or dedicated sub you should have proper treatment or at least be lucky enough so that your room naturally has proper acoustics.
Well if it works on Ubuntu, it most likely will work on openSUSE too or can be made to work.

Bitwig offering a deb file is an issue, but not something that cant be solved.

OpenSUSE uses rpm, but I already know of a program, that can make an .rpm file out of a .deb file.

I might try some of those plugins, sounds interesting.
Gps wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:12 pm
Well if it works on Ubuntu, it most likely will work on openSUSE too or can be made to work.

Bitwig offering a deb file is an issue, but not something that cant be solved.

OpenSUSE uses rpm, but I already know of a program, that can make an .rpm file out of a .deb file.

I might try some of those plugins, sounds interesting.
I just looked at Bitwig and openSUSE. Quatro quick questions:

- what do the instruments in Bitwig sound like? Any good?
- can you use Bitwig as a VST plugin in another daw? (I do this with FLStudio demo and Reaper sometimes).

- what's the ram (at idle) usage for openSUSE?
- do you use makefiles for software that's not in its repo?