Headphones vs Speakers

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Assuming the quality is the same, what's better for music production - headphones or speakers?
Hexagonz wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:31 am
Assuming the quality is the same, what's better for music production - headphones or speakers?
Usually it is recommended to mix using studio-speakers. That is what the pro does
'We' do not have that kind of gear that cost 10000 € and up ..Up a lot
Hexagonz wrote:
I would say to forget the headphones for now. And instead, to go and buy some speakers. You can buy the headphones afterwards.
You should always listen to both headphones and speakers. After all, your listeners will do it this way and that :)
Hexagonz wrote:
Might go at both. Most listeners use headphones, so its good to use it to assume compatibility on that device. And speakers to hear if it is very good on speakers (some songs sound nice at headphones but not on speakers and vice versa) I heard that pros use speakers because of mixing. Deadmau5's studio for example. In rave music they mix songs properly, so the sound engineers know what speaker (eg tweeters, subwoofers) should that freq be positioned during music festivals or concerts. Reasons like the bass doesnt sound messy etc.,

I dunno but some people recommended buying studio monitors (headphones or speakers) but that shit costs like a lot

Im writing this at 1 am so take this wit a grain of sugar
Hexagonz wrote:
For me, I advise both. headphones to have a very fine/precise rendering, and the speakers afterwards, to validate, with a different rendering, as people will have it while listening in party, in the car or other...

By combining the 2, we arrive at a result that can please those who listen with headphones as much as with a speaker...

Afterwards, it's up to you to see what you prefer ! (:

bien-être
Ok, thanks for replying everyone!

It seems most people recommend using both to test the music on both, and it's a matter of personal prefference, but most recommended is studio-speakers
Yeah, no probs. It's an interesting subject though.
I am going to get studio monitors.

What are studio monitors ? Speakers that should not colour the sound.
That why allot of people advice studio monitors for mixing your music.

Most other speakers and headphones do colour the sound. They often boost the bass a bit.

The problem as mentioned though, is your budget. I have seen studio monitors of 15.000 euro a piece.

For those that think I have smoked too much weed:

https://www.bax-shop.nl/studio-monitor/ ... r-per-stuk

On the bright site, I asked for help on two forums. Linux musicians and Tweakers.

To some up the advice I got.
Get a DAC and get studio monitors.

For about 400 - 500 euro you can get good stuff.

For about 300 euro you can stuff which is not bad, but it would be an better idea to safe up some more.

What I am using now though is a Sennheiser gamingheadset. ( 80 - 115 euro depending on the shop )
For making music about anything will do.

I am hoping to get two of these:
https://www.bax-shop.nl/studio-monitors ... r-per-stuk

That's 322 euro for two.

Then this DAC, 109 euro :

https://www.bax-shop.nl/externe-audio-i ... -interface

This dac connects to your pc with USB. It bypasses the onboard sound chip of your mother board.

Then I need cables to hook up the speakers to the DAC and some adapter so I can still use my current headset.

Then also some foam or stand for the speakers.

Another piece of advice I got, would you go over 500 euro for studio monitors, you need to sound threat the room your mixing in.

If you get active studio monitors, you don't need a dac.
That something were you can safe a few bucks.
Then you do need an adapter so you can connect them to your pc. There are cables for this with a 3.25 mm jack on one side, a 3 pin pro audio connector on the other side.
So, I'm making something and it sounds completely different on my headphones vs on speakers- but editing for it to sound comparable on the speakers worsens the quality when using headphones, distorts it. What's occurring here, how to avoid or fix?showbox speed test