Clyp.it is going to be a fully paid platform

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Aw schucks I loved clyp's ability to stream without destroying the audio quality.

https://clypblog.tumblr.com/post/636222 ... ng-to-clyp

Effective December 5, 2020 Clyp will be moving to a fully paid platform.

From now on, I will upload all of my WIP's to Newgrounds using a reserved link for projects ;_; Feedbcak might be bigger because I would share this to my followers over there! :D

I loved my almost 3 year journey here at Clyp.it! But my profile will still be up regardless if I upload or not, unless clyp.it yeets itself because of lack of funding and can't keep up. I wish I could support anyway but I don't have any accounts tho like Paypal.

People are angry, but, I think this is just right and they surely have a weak business model. Not disappointed, they are generous imo.
https://twitter.com/Clyp_It/status/1333429421269725189
Awww man! :P
brandystarbrite wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:51 pm
Awww man! :P
In the next BOL (if there is), they should add another website. I don't know other common audio sharing sites aside from SoundCloud and Clyp. Afaik Newgrounds has a very good streaming quality but you are required to be moderated first by a verified member ("scouting" system) before your files are off the deep side. You can also upload in Bandlab and Audiomack (which are both unlimited for free).
Hopefully that decision doesn't make Clyp close down. I hope they do well and stay around for a long time.
With instaud.io recently shutting down, this seems like a trend for high load, free services: transition to paid, or at least aggressively lockdown free accounts, or face having to shut down due to lack of resources.

I think the underlying issue here is that startup sites do not fully account for how expensive it is to store data. Even if you limit how much someone can upload on one account, unless you figure out how to do the impossible and limit people from making new alternate accounts for more upload space, you don't really solve the problem.

Places like SoundCloud have incredibly aggressive advertising on their sites and relatively expensive premium plans (albeit with some really nice features), and they still have financial troubles from time to time. I remember what feels like a couple years ago when SoundCloud was facing bankruptcy.

I hope this new model works for clyp in that they don't have to shut down, but I also know a lot of people that absolutely refuse to pay for services. I guess we will just have to see in the long run.

Re: BoL
There has long been discussion about the platforms that are accepted for BoL entries. SoundCloud is the most preferred, because SoundCloud groups were the original place to submit way back when, and also because one of the final playlists is made on SoundCloud and the LMMS service account has to upload any tracks that are not on SoundCloud. If push really comes to shove, entries will probably end up being direct upload only, as the people that win are required to submit their lossless files anyway.
Stakeout Punch wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:25 pm
With instaud.io recently shutting down, this seems like a trend for high load, free services: transition to paid, or at least aggressively lockdown free accounts, or face having to shut down due to lack of resources.

I think the underlying issue here is that startup sites do not fully account for how expensive it is to store data...
^^This. Due to YouTube becoming hostile towards its own userbase, there are many other beginner video sharing sites that had spawned, but eventually shutting down. Should've not only minded the return of investment, but as well as the threats and the effects in the long run. Soundclown having to host and steam hq wav is pain in the ass, so the costs of runnin it and getting financially dilapidated is expected for me.
I hope this new model works for clyp in that they don't have to shut down, but I also know a lot of people that absolutely refuse to pay for services. I guess we will just have to see in the long run.
I am really hoping too... but I am not looking forward. I hope they find what is their target customer, instead of getting all the money from the transition in the pain-- I mean paid model :lol: otherwise on that case, it would be just a short journey and everything goes down.
Stakeout Punch wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:25 pm
Re: BoL
There has long been discussion about the platforms that are accepted for BoL entries. SoundCloud is the most preferred, because SoundCloud groups were the original place to submit way back when, and also because one of the final playlists is made on SoundCloud and the LMMS service account has to upload any tracks that are not on SoundCloud. If push really comes to shove, entries will probably end up being direct upload only, as the people that win are required to submit their lossless files anyway.
Thanks for clarifying