Setting micro tempos . . .

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hello All . . .

Just wondering if there's a way to set 'micro tempos' ?
Why would I want this - given that no-one can tell the difference between 118 bpm and 118.14 bpm?
But I'm trying to do LMMS-based MIDI 'overdubs' on a pre-recorded analog track (which I'm playing back using the 'Audio File Processor') I've found the tempo of the original track, and the LMMS tempo matches almost. But, over 30 seconds or so, noticeably starts to drift out-of-sync.
If I could set the LMMS tempo accurately, I could get things in sync. But it seems that I can't set tempos other than in whole numbers. Am I wrong?
Many thanks for any solutions.
back_to_work wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:16 pm
Hello All . . .

Just wondering if there's a way to set 'micro tempos' ?
Why would I want this - given that no-one can tell the difference between 118 bpm and 118.14 bpm?
But I'm trying to do LMMS-based MIDI 'overdubs' on a pre-recorded analog track (which I'm playing back using the 'Audio File Processor') I've found the tempo of the original track, and the LMMS tempo matches almost. But, over 30 seconds or so, noticeably starts to drift out-of-sync.
If I could set the LMMS tempo accurately, I could get things in sync. But it seems that I can't set tempos other than in whole numbers. Am I wrong?
Many thanks for any solutions.
Sorry, i must disappoint you. LMMS cant do that.
Audacity may be able to, but afair Audacity also only set BPM i whole numbers, but take a look
Thanks musikBear . . .
Yes, Audacity can do micro alterations of pitch and tempo etc - but it's a notoriously tricky algorithm, and does mush-up the sound quite a bit.
One way I've found around it is to call up the file (using a new audio file track) at reasonable intervals (say every 20 seconds or so) Then adjust the 'start point' of the sample back to the correct (new) point.
That has the effect of 're-setting' the tempo every 20 seconds or so. But, to say the least, it's a bit time consuming to set up.
Maybe in a future release the LMMS code could be tweaked to allow a decimal point in the tempo setting?
By the way, are any new releases of LMMS in the pipeline?
back_to_work wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:16 pm
Maybe in a future release the LMMS code could be tweaked to allow a decimal point in the tempo setting?
It will be great if you would make a detailed description of how you would like this feature to work, and then add that description to the page here: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/new/choose
Follow the guidelines and use the template for Enhancements
By the way, are any new releases of LMMS in the pipeline?
There are new ones daily, but only as 'nightly-builds', and the full functionality is not guaranteed. When 1.3 will go to Off. release is yet not known