How does one go about large projects?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
This isn't a support issue as such, I just wanted to know how people go about handling larger LMMS projects in LMMS.
I have a project which may be considered slightly large, but lags somewhat visually and response-wise, VST UI loads weird and needs reopening, and a few other typical 'weird' issues you'd expect with large project sizes. However, the project isn't complete and will be more than double this length.
I was wondering how other people deal with large projects so that I might do something similar about mine.
Monospace wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:40 am
This isn't a support issue as such, I just wanted to know how people go about handling larger LMMS projects in LMMS.
I have a project which may be considered slightly large, but lags somewhat visually and response-wise, VST UI loads weird and needs reopening, and a few other typical 'weird' issues you'd expect with large project sizes. However, the project isn't complete and will be more than double this length.
I was wondering how other people deal with large projects so that I might do something similar about mine.
With one tool!
Organizing!
Projectplan Structure, subplanning, A journal.
In all simplicity you use project-management, just as if you were working on a IT-project!
It may even be useful to setup phases and milestones, both for 'keeping the pot boiling' but also because you get manageable sections, witch enhances your overview
Thanks, musikbear. That advice is really useful to me, since I don't tend to think of organising my projects. I'll definitely keep it in mind the next time a project shows signs of expanding.
However, I was talking about making the project larger despite the fact I'm having slight trade-offs on smooth performance right now. Like I said, I'm getting a few visual lags and other minor graphical hindrances because my project is large. How can I continue working on the project while minimizing how often these happen? Is there anything I can do to reduce their occurrence? Because as my project grows, these issues will only increase.
Monospace wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:47 am
I'm getting a few visual lags and other minor graphical hindrances because my project is large. How can I continue working on the project while minimizing how often these happen? Is there anything I can do to reduce their occurrence?
The effective thing is to increase RAM.
But you can also fiddle in windows with program priorities. Windows can change how resources is allocated, and giving lmms highest priority, should increase efficiency, but your pc will be quite useless for other programs, so its a very one sided 'solution'
I don't know how to increase RAM itself.
But noted. I'll do that when I'm working on large projects and keep the idea in mind.
Thanks, musikbear!
Don't you have a friend that can do it ? Upgrade the ram ?

Or otherwise go to some local computer shop and ask them to do the upgrade.

How much ram do you have now ?

8 gig ram should be enough, 4 gig can be enough if the projects are not too big and you don't use many VST.

You need to know what your motherboard supports though, also laptop ram is different from desktop pc ram.

To prevent compatibility issues, its probably best to get new 8 gig ram, and not use the old ram anymore.

Basically you need a nerd, because it might be possible, if you have 4 gig now to get another 4 gig.
This can however also cause issues, if the ram sticks are too different.

The easy part is to look in Windows to see how much ram you have now. It will probably also tell you if its ddr3 or ddr4 and the speed of the ram.

Do you have a manual ? It hould tell you what ram you can use.
I do have a lot of RAM, but I believe my problem is how I keep 100+ chrome tabs open at a time.
Since I use a PC, there's 16 gigs. But chrome is a ram hog.
16 gig is more then enough, having multiple chrome tabs open is asking for trouble, as you say, its a ram hog.
Yeah. Having alot of chrome tabs open is a bad idea. :P
Organization is key. Break your project into smaller sections or scenes, and use markers or labels to keep track. This makes navigation easier.