Noob jam (competition)

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
We could hold a competition every weekend or every month, where only beginners are allowed to participate.

Rules could be for example:

* You can only participate if you have not won before
* You are not very skilled in digital music production and have not made any substantial (? like 3 perhaps) amount of published tracks

I suggest if it is weekly, then people may win two or three times but not in a row.

The tracks should be made accessible via the "competitions" section on the LMMS website. Maybe we could also make a mix where every track is played for 10 seconds, where it sounds best.
Sounds good.
I don't know about weekly competitions being displayed on the LMMS website, because it's updated rarely as it is. The forums seems like a better place for a competition taking place that regularly.
How will we ensure the beginners are actually beginners?
First off, Welcome to the Forum ballerburg9005!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
ballerburg9005 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:09 pm
We could hold a competition every weekend or every month, where only beginners are allowed to participate.

Rules could be for example:

* You can only participate if you have not won before
* You are not very skilled in digital music production and have not made any substantial (? like 3 perhaps) amount of published tracks

I suggest if it is weekly, then people may win two or three times but not in a row.

The tracks should be made accessible via the "competitions" section on the LMMS website. Maybe we could also make a mix where every track is played for 10 seconds, where it sounds best.
Something similar has been tried before. The interest quickly die out.
Anywitch
Weekly is to often.
Monthly would be often, but could maybe work.
Monospace wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:25 pm
How will we ensure the beginners are actually beginners?
I think this can easily be done if specifying certain rules, such as the one that requires that you haven't released more than X songs in the Internet. Or by further explaining maybe with examples what a beginner is and isn't.

In the end of course, it is based on trust and someone who really wanted to cheat could.
musikbear wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:00 pm
Something similar has been tried before. The interest quickly die out.
Anywitch
Weekly is to often.
Monthly would be often, but could maybe work.
Interesting to know.

I believe people who can make good tracks are an extreme minority of users. Most people are still noobs who rarely participate. I am as well and hesitant to share anything I have done, unless it is under the premise that it is just not good enough, because it really is not.

I just hope we can have a bigger and more obvious space for newcomers and inexperienced people.

I also have noticed that some of the submissions on the sharing platform are from unskilled people and just sound very test-alike. Maybe we could add tags there, like noob or test, so that those can be filtered out by default and people who are unskilled can feel comfortable in uploading.
ballerburg9005 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:15 pm
I just hope we can have a bigger and more obvious space for newcomers and inexperienced people.
Well we have a space for that: #music-projects.
But take a look. The interest for posting is huge, but not so much for responding.
Forum #music-projects is the forum with the highest number of unanswered posts, right now 14 on the first page..
I sometimes do go through some, but mostly i answers the technical questions. Brandy is very helpful in #music-projects.
I tried to get a posting-rule implemented, but noone cares : P
It doesn't seem obvious to me, that "Music Projects" is a space for people who are inept at making music (i.e. noobs). Quite the opposite.

A web forum is not the kind of place for casual sharing of low quality content that you probably don't even want to show to the public. Discord is much better suited for this. You can easily upload snippets, people can easily play them back and with some privacy.

In the Music Projects subforum, people usually upload to Soundcloud or Bandcamp. Those are sites where mostly established artists release tracks to. I was talking about a space for noobs though. Newcomers who have not even released anything to those sites, because they are still in the beginning of learning to compose music. And what they can produce is mostly bad and not worth listening to much.

Also it seems that every thread gets at least one response in Music Projects, if not several. So I think there is tons of feedback, the subforum works well. But yes I agree, it still takes too much effort to click through many threads. First click back and forth on the board, then on the external site ... it doesn't take much time but it kind of breaks mood. Ideally, you would just press "next" and "next" for the next song and automatically jump to a post. Then after 2 minutes, you have already listened to 10 songs. And then something strikes you with that song and you leave some feedback on it.

So maybe if we had a category on Discord "noobs" and then a room "#tunes" (just audio posts allowed) and "#tunes-feedback", that would be good. And then there should be an "advanced" category with the same rooms as well.

I haven't put too much thought into the room layout, but for a start those rooms seems good to me.
ballerburg9005 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:25 pm
It doesn't seem obvious to me, that "Music Projects" is a space for people who are inept at making music (i.e. noobs). Quite the opposite.

A web forum is not the kind of place for casual sharing of low quality content that you probably don't even want to show to the public. Discord is much better suited for this. You can easily upload snippets, people can easily play them back and with some privacy.

In the Music Projects subforum, people usually upload to Soundcloud or Bandcamp. Those are sites where mostly established artists release tracks to. I was talking about a space for noobs though. Newcomers who have not even released anything to those sites, because they are still in the beginning of learning to compose music. And what they can produce is mostly bad and not worth listening to much.

Also it seems that every thread gets at least one response in Music Projects, if not several. So I think there is tons of feedback, the subforum works well. But yes I agree, it still takes too much effort to click through many threads. First click back and forth on the board, then on the external site ... it doesn't take much time but it kind of breaks mood. Ideally, you would just press "next" and "next" for the next song and automatically jump to a post. Then after 2 minutes, you have already listened to 10 songs. And then something strikes you with that song and you leave some feedback on it.

So maybe if we had a category on Discord "noobs" and then a room "#tunes" (just audio posts allowed) and "#tunes-feedback", that would be good. And then there should be an "advanced" category with the same rooms as well.

I haven't put too much thought into the room layout, but for a start those rooms seems good to me.
Ok -I will find the correct admin to pitch this to, I will come back to you.
Looks to me as though Music-Projects is for everyone.
ballerburg9005 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:25 pm
Try to pitch the idea to @kev in discord