Advice on vocals

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hey LMMS champs!

Does anybody have advice on vocals?
I already did my panning for the instuments, do I simply do the exact same panning for voice or what do you usually do?
And is the background choir supposed to sound like a string quartet (softer)?
Curious about your thoughts on this 8-)

Best,

~Lien
I haven't typically seen people panning the main vocals so their balance is on one side.
background choir can be panned, I think, if it's background enough. I don't know how background choirs are supposed to sound, but as long as they don't sound bad-
Thank you for your recommendations, now they are also interested in this topic.
Lien wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:12 pm
Hey LMMS champs!

Does anybody have advice on vocals?
I already did my panning for the instuments, do I simply do the exact same panning for voice or what do you usually do?
And is the background choir supposed to sound like a string quartet (softer)?
Curious about your thoughts on this 8-)

Best,

~Lien
Hello Lien.
If it is possible, let us hear your track, so we can give you advice on the vocals.
It depends on what kind of vocals you’re doing and the effect you want. People’s ears will gravitate towards spoken words and if that’s the focal point of the song then you probably want to keep it center for maximum effect. Also reverb is your best friend for vocals and a little can go a long way.
Something cool you can do is have the same vocal lines, one panned to the left and one to the right, and have one delayed by a few milliseconds. This will widen the sound of the vocals and and even creates a robotic sound if you push the delay.
For a choir you can pretty much think of it like it is it’s own instrument. When mixing the choir you can think about your mix as if it was playing as a live band on a stage. Would your choir be to left? They could be to the right? Are they up front to carry the melody or are they in the back creating atmosphere? All of this is of course completely subjective and however you get the sound you want is a-okay.