sharing platform guidelines?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
I'm sick of seeing posts where you have to download a bunch of samples or have to have certain VSTS, it should be common sense not to upload projects with such things because not everyone has what they have. I think we should all agree on some guidelines for projects and maybe somehow enforce them?
Although I made that mistake too, I agree.
I'm not sure I want to exclude quite so many projects. But it might make sense to limit any external VSTs to free ones and, critically, to list any used in the description. But just as a guideline. If you start making rules and trying to enforce them you'll just stop people from bothering to share anything.

E.g. I'd be happy if people took a bit more trouble with the locations of projects. I've tried one or two from the "Ambient" section that are about as far away from ambient music as I can imagine. But there are no exact definitions so I just assume other people have a different view of what ambient means :).

Steve
people could use the 'project-notes' and list all used plug-ins, with links to where they are available.
Besides that i agree with slipstick :)
slipstick wrote:I'm not sure I want to exclude quite so many projects. But it might make sense to limit any external VSTs to free ones and, critically, to list any used in the description. But just as a guideline. If you start making rules and trying to enforce them you'll just stop people from bothering to share anything.

E.g. I'd be happy if people took a bit more trouble with the locations of projects. I've tried one or two from the "Ambient" section that are about as far away from ambient music as I can imagine. But there are no exact definitions so I just assume other people have a different view of what ambient means :).

Steve
Yea but say you downloaded a project that uses synth1, but you don,t have it so you go get it, but that doesn't fix it because another issue is that it only loads vsts from THE EXACT PATH the project author had it in. So even if you had the vst, it would be useless if the author had his vst in some crazy directory besides c:\program files\vstplugins
Yes, I think it would be helpful to display a few guidelines during the upload process, telling users what information they should provide about the project they are sharing.

Courtesy is appreciated: provide locations (links) to your external plugins and samples, so your audience does not have to search for them.
Well kLik_kLak_dubs you have a problem with my music i do not have a c:\program files\vstplugins !
I have them in `$/muziek/lmms/vst
I'm only annoyed if I come across a project that uses external resources and the artist/poster did not say anything about it in the description. A lot of people use external things in their tracks, limiting posting to the LSP based on that criteria would not be beneficial to the LSP as a whole because people would stop bothering to post. Furthermore making guidelines and "rules" does nothing if they cannot be enforced, and there is not really a way to sift through the massive amounts of projects that are posted for guideline/"rule" violations.
[quote="Stakeout Punch"Furthermore making guidelines and "rules" does nothing if they cannot be enforced, and there is not really a way to sift through the massive amounts of projects that are posted for guideline/"rule" violations.[/quote]

If everyone would just have a basic grasp of how LMMS and LSP work, and used a bit of common sense, no rule enforcement would be needed.
I have used the sharing platform for switching projects from one computer to another. It's faster than using a usb drive.
So if you see something from me without a description, and a few minutes later it's gone. You know what just happened.