Content Lockers

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Does anyone have experience with using content lockers on SoundCloud or other social media?

In what situations is it appropriate and reasonable to give out free content (downloadable tracks in my case) in exchange for an email address, subscribe, follow, etc.?

What are the benefits of using content lockers versus asking for an email address, subscribe, follow, etc. in an attached message (track description in my case)?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, please do some research. Don't reply to this topic with things like "I don't know." or "What's that? I've never heard of it."
I wouldn't do that because I wouldn't want people to follow me for one song.. I want people following me who are really into my music
I used to do it with Facebook but it actually ended up hindering my growth..
Thanks. I always thought it was kind of backwards to have to "like" a certain page before I can access whatever content that was locked behind it.

What also concerns me about content lockers is that people have to log into their accounts "via" their system, in order to like, follow, etc. a certain page or content provider "via" their system.

There are also content unlockers out there in the form of browser plugins. Quite funny, as the whole lock-unlock thing reminds me of the Adblocker vs Anti-Adblocker war on the internet.
caLRo wrote:If you don't know what I'm talking about, please do some research. Don't reply to this topic with things like "I don't know." or "What's that? I've never heard of it."
What are you talking about? I don't know. I've never heard of it.
CaLRo wrote:In what situations is it appropriate and reasonable to give out free content (downloadable tracks in my case) in exchange for an email address, subscribe, follow, etc.?]
Tbqh, its appropriate in every situation. You are giving something for free and its completely reasonable to ask for something in return such as a follow or a like. Also, if someone wants to download your song, it means he likes it, so he is probably gonna be interested in your new content more than someone that didn't download the song. It's all perfectly ok in my book.