Our introduction thread

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
181 posts
Hi, Jim, new guy here. I am trying to learn LMMS (on M$ Windows 10, (since I can't get the graphics drivers working on Manjaro Linux) for gamedev, specifically, game music and sound effects. I have already run into two issues that I'll be asking about in support (no sound from .midi files after adding the general-midi-soundfile and how to remove the stupid "Desktop" link from File-->[Open, Import, etc.] and one other shortcut permanently).

I would also like to comment on something I heard in one YouTube tutorial. The person doing the tutorial said something that suggested that free/open source software is not expected to be as good as the commercial stuff. I very strongly disagree. I've been around the Internet (Arpanet back then) for a long time. I've seen a LOT of open source, and how it's developed. Commercial stuff is often created by some company who tells you what you will like and you will like it or else (e.g., M$). Open source is created by users themselves---who better to know what we users want than ourselves? :-) I've seen a huge number of open source projects that are vastly superior to their commercial cousins. I've never used any DAW before, so I can't compare LMMS to any other, but I'm certainly not going to assume that any commercial alternative would be an improvement.

As for me, I am a 2 time cancer survivor (2.5, actually---we caught #3 before it became cancer so where there would have been a cancer #3, we got it at the cancer precursor stage). Cancer #1 was the one that was constantly trying to kill me. The only thing it accomplished when it did was to make me more furious with it and more defiant towards it.

Sun Tzu wrote
VI.2. Therefore, the clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him.
--Sun Tzu, The Art of War, ca. 500 BC, 1910 Lionel Giles translation.

The enemy in this case was (obviously) cancer #1, itself.

The cat that (will be) my avatar is my Norwegian Forest Cat (Wegie), Jinx. As of 6Aug20, he was two years old. He'll keep growing for another three years, and he's already huge...but nowhere near how huge Wegies get (if you're curious, search for "Big Daddy Kane Norwegian forest cat" ... the first image will be enough. :-)

Before cancer #1 retired me, my degree was in electronics with a specialty in telecommunications (I was a senior network engineer working with a huge backbone network that carried mostly data, but when possible, voice got a free ride). My last professional positions were all at Hurlburt Field, FL, first in what was then 16th Special Operations Wing Intelligence, then HQ AFSOC Intelligence, and finally at SOCOM/J2 (J2 == Joint [Forces] Intelligence).

On 11Sep01, I had been stolen from the Wing by HQ AFSOC, but was urgently yanked back to the Wing, and was there during Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) after 11Sep01. Hurlburt was at Threatcon Delta (attack in progress), and when I parked across the street from the Wing Intel building, I was met by two friends/co-workers from Wing Intel, one with an M-16 and the other with a 9mm (their job was to protect me). While the US was mourning, we didn't have time---were working 24-hour ops and about 14--16 hour shifts spinning up for the deployment orders we knew would be coming. I was a contractor, but not the usual type; I was basically just a member of the team, and worked as exactly that. I did find out what the stereotypical contractor on-site is like, but I won't go into detail on that (let's just say that after what he did that would have stopped me from getting four mission critical tasks done until the next day, and his boss, an O6 (full colonel) had to do his job for him, the O6 told me that when that guy came in the next morning, and after he (the O6) was done with him, it'd be AT LEAST (very angry emphasis his) six months before he (contractor) would be able to sit down again. From looking at his face, I could tell there was going to be some serious wall-to-wall counseling the next morning.
Hello everybody! My name is malik, and I've been utilizing LMMS since a year ago. The stuff I make is based a great deal off of 80s soundtrack stuff, yet with a ton little contorts tossed in there. I'm continually hoping to stretch out and attempt new things, so I'd love to get familiar with everything to learn with LMMS. A debt of gratitude is in order for setting aside the effort to understand this!
Hey LMMS fam! I’m Ashish aka Wallbrane and I’ve been using lmms for almost 5 years now. All I want to say is you don’t have to buy expensive daws to make music that you love. LMMS has got pretty much everything you need. If you guys wanna listen to my tracks in LMMS that got signed, check the link below
https://feelq.fanlink.to/fqr145
Hello there! I'm new to beat making and still learning a lot. I've been searching for free daws that I can use for a while and where I can develop my skills. Thankfully, I found LMMS! This is absolutely one of the best free daws out there and I'm glad it has many useful features! Thank you for the developers and to the community!
Welcome :)
Hello, I am David Richard. That's me in my profile pict with my wife with whome I got married in the Philippines in november 2019. COVID-19 seperated us and I am back here in Canada waiting for our lawyers to get the paperwork done to have her here with me in Canada. We are trying our best to gather the required money to make this happen soon. We have been seperated since July 2020 and since then we only communicate through webcam.

Being Autistic and having many communication challenges as like many other fellow autistic people, we have hard times over webcam communicating properly. But my wife is so loveable and our love is passionate. We are just eager to see ourselves when time comes.

Who am I? A very simple game creator. I also created a mod for The Elder Scrolls Skyrim called "Lost Treasures" which I posted on patreon. I fell in love with Skyrim and that's the only RPG game I love up to now since my favorite games are and will always be Super Mario games. My top favs are Super Mario World on SNES and Mario Kart Double Dash on Game Cube. I started game creation with Game Maker and created my first complete game called Picman where I was using copyright musics for my game...yeah, I was young back then and knew little. I created another game, available on itch.io called Lost Explorer 2, a puzzle game which I would love to expand. I used copyright free music, but still, not my own creation.

Now that I have a start of a fan-base (my wife :P ), I want to create a new Lost Explorer game with much better graphics and original music. This is where LMMS came in. I knew LMMS before and played with it a bit, but nothing too serious. Now, I created my very first complete music for my upcomming game which is not close to developpement yet as I am still in process of creating characters and environements. It will be a several game project already having 4 sequels planned with their own stories already thought. I want to get out of the simple Lost Explorer pixel-graphic style and have a better platformer HD esthetics.

Since I have been diagnosed with Autism, I do not work, I finally feel free and can work on my passion without pressure, People do not know what's happenning in the head and body of an autistic person. It's hard to describe because most people live in this normalised world and Autistic people like me percieve this world differently and we react differently to it.

So that's part of me, for those who read this text, THANK YOU! REALLY, Thank you! It is not always interesting to read other's lives, so I sincerly thank those that took time to read part of my life story!
Hey folks,

I'm Dave, been using LMMS on and off for a good number of years, both on Windows and Mac. I'm interested in making music, electronic and otherwise, but I'm still very "green" at it. Lately I've been interested to learn more about sound synthesis as opposed to using samples and trying to figure out how to translate ideas of specific types of sounds into synth settings. In addition to LMMS, I've used Garage Band, Audacity and a little bit of SuperCollider. I own a couple of guitars, a Roland keyboard and recently got the AKAI MPD218 controller.

You can find some of my music here (most is done in LMMS):
https://soundcloud.com/david-dartapetian/
Hello everyone!

I'm Alex, some girl from Europe, I discovered lmms about 4 years ago but only this year I've started diving into it and I find it amazing. I have a few tracks on Soundcloud but they sound terrible (you can find me there by the name of Unscanned, same as my username on this forum). Still I won't be discouraged, I know learning requires patience and determination and I won't give up. :)

Was wondering, can I post some of my tracks here on the forum and maybe get some help/advice from you? I'm in desperate need of help, because my tracks sound awful and I want to learn as much as possible so I could improve. :)

Thank you all!

Have a great day and stay safe!
unscanned wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:33 am
Hello everyone!
Hi, Welcome to the Forum Alex!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
Was wondering, can I post some of my tracks here on the forum and maybe get some help/advice from you? I'm in desperate need of help, because my tracks sound awful and I want to learn as much as possible so I could improve. :)
You are most welcome to post links to your tracks. A lot uses soundcloud, but any host can be used -YouTube as well
If you post for reviewing for your music, you should use viewforum.php?f=5 Music-projects.

If you want help with how your music is exported, mixed or produced, then you should use viewforum.php?f=17 Production.
Its not always that posts on Music-projects gets response, but issues on Production always get answered.
Hello!

My name is Lien, I am working with LMMS ever since the pandemic kicked in... finally I have the patience to sit down and start learning it for real.

I'm a singer and wrote a few compositions, however I don't play any other instrument but I have always been very much into electronic music anyway. So I've decided that mastering how to make it myself is the best choice for me.

It is quite a struggle because I have problems with sitting down behind the computer but an hour a day I can manage hahaha
I was already in the support page a few times and I like it here. Shout out to LMMS :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Currently I'm trying out VST's and making some beat- and basslines, an occasional melody, they are on my Soundcloud:
www.soundcloud.com/tropicaldutch

If you'd like to connect, you can find me on the usual suspects:
https://www.facebook.com/lien.pisters/ https://www.instagram.com/lienpisters/

~Lien
181 posts