MIDI Controller

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've been here.
However, more than ever I am a true believer of Free/Libre and Open Source Software and Hardware!

More than a year ago I started a topic about making a dedicated MIDI controller for LMMS. Now, let me tell you this: It didn't happen! :)
I was naive and saw things to big. :oops:
But that's okay! Because if you have to be naive to believe in something (in something big at least).
But things change and now, rather than being ignorant enough to believe I as a total N00b can change everything, I want to give it another shot!

Now, I love music but I never been able to create it. Why? Well first of all, I don't have real talent for it. :D But that doesn't mean I shouldn't get a somewhat decent sound out of it!
Every time I started working with software based music creation I stumbled up on the fact that I couldn't get things right with a keyboard and a mouse. It just wasn't enough!
So any normal student that lacks money (every student lacks money, trust me!) would go on ebay and buy himself something simple like a Korg NanoPAD or something. But I don't, because I'm a geek. :geek:

Currently I'm a second year Industrial Engineering student, with a strong believe that the future of both Hard- and Software should be open! (the reason for that should carry us to far in this topic) A fellow student has the same opinion about this. He however knows how to make music! (And he literally looks like this: :ugeek: ) So whatever I build, now has someone that can get tunes out of it! (yay)

Since exams are the best time for creative ideas, I started digging in to the MIDI protocol last couple of weeks. I did that before, but now I actually took the time to really understand it. So I took my arduino a few days ago and was able to send notes with some microswitches. Yesterday evening I changed the code and was able to control an LMMS fader with a physical one. (hooray for understanding the protocol you're working with).

So now I'm at the point where I can do 2 things.
The easy one: building a controller for a program like MIXXX, which already has it's controllers but also has an approved layout.
The slightly harder one: building a controller for something I'd love to start working with but don't know how to make the right controller.

So I leave the question up to you guys, what would you throw in? faders, potmeters, switches, piezo's, drumpads...

Note: I'm not saying I'm going to build a kick ass controller and put it in to mass production or what so ever. I'm going to "experiment" but of course, all my data, drawings and code will be released.
Ow, btw: I'm currently building the whole thing to send MIDI over USB. This is easy for me because I don't have a midi input on my laptop and I also think it's more plug and play for anybody else..

Grts

Wouter
Srsly nobody who has an idea of what are the most desired features? :(

Also: things turned out great.. I can use this project as a school project ;)
Got any pictures? :D
Buh, took my a while until I was able to respond something here (cookie trouble..).

Anyhow: I'll have some pictures soon. A few days ago we were able to control 5 faders using only 1 analog input on the arduino.

BUT since it's a school project, and neither my friend or I have used LMMS that much, we decided to stick to something we know (mainly because this is more about the technology behind it). So we're building a controller for MIXXX/Traktor, whatever, know.. In essence you can use this controller for LMMS, it just wouldn't be that convient. But that doesn't mean I'm not planning on making an LMMS controller. We just don't have the time 1.) learn what the best controller would be, 2.) learn and work properly with the software, 3.) build the damn thing.

I'll be making a short blog entry soon about where we stand... But actually, at the moment, we are able to make a mixer with 64 inputs (either analog, digital, or combination of both), and map them all as we want. This means the "hard" work is done. And, you'll be amazed by the easiness of the code!! At the moment our code counts about 40 lines in the loop{}. However it will become longer when we start adding the special features (we thought it was to easy so we're going to put a VU-meter and a touchpad on it as well).

Grts

Wouter
DEFINITELY go with some drum pads.