Software

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Leche wrote:Wait... I thought reaper was like $600 or something.
You thought wrong. It has a full trial version available you can use as long as you like for free (supposed to be 60 days but it never times out) and if you decide to be honest and pay it costs $60...unless you earn over $20,000 a year from your music in which case it's a bit more expensive.

But it's probably not for you because it is fairly complex to get into and needs you to put some effort in to get the best out of it. But you could always download the trial and look at it yourself.

Steve
I used to use reaper alongside LMMS on Windows back in the day. It's good software, and is really good for editing audio. Never got into the MIDI/Sequencing aspects of it, but its definitely worth a try.
umcaruje wrote:I used to use reaper alongside LMMS on Windows back in the day. It's good software, and is really good for editing audio. Never got into the MIDI/Sequencing aspects of it, but its definitely worth a try.
Yes it's definitely more tracker than sequencer and it used to be pretty poor at MIDI but a lot of work has gone into that area in the last year or so, incuding a music notation view. I like it a lot now. The only thing I miss from LMMS is the simplicity of the Beat/Bass editor but the ability to use any VST/VSTi I like (at least on Windows) plus the many user scripts and add-ons more than compensate for that. At least for me ;).

Steve
I looked into ardour. It looks similar to something I've tried before. Is it generally different to LMMS or similar in some ways?
you better master LMMS completely or you won't have a chance in a completely new DAW..
FL Studio is probably your best option tho as it's the closest in functionality to LMMS...
I've been doing this for about two-three years. Would that suffice?
See, I'm just now learning how to use LMMS, after almost 6 months...I can't ever see myself changing DAWs unless I change to FL Studio, seems similar, bigwig has the cool sandboxed vsts...which is a cool feature. my question is why would you change? Not trying to keep you to stay, but what are you looking for in a different DAW?
It comes down to workflow and preference, because ultimately, the biggest bottleneck is going to always be the end user.
^ What Punch said. I switched because I was tired of LMMS and it just didn't work so well for me. Its different for everyone, and you should always try things out until you find what fits you the most. I also like to do all kind of crazy shit with sampling, and LMMS isn't just capable of that yet, not in the ease of use you have in Bitwig.
True Enough.

Thanks for all the replies and support!